Knee pain

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by bigreddog, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hi All

Anybody here suffer from knee pain when they train bjj? Something about fighting on the floor seems to make them really sore, and knee pads don't seem to help much. Any thoughts?

Brd

2. M1911a1

M1911a1 New Member

Describe where the pain is, what kind of pain?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) Play guard more,
    2) is it house maids knee? If so pads, and play guard more.
    3) if not have you strained it? If so rest it, avoid leg locks, stretch you hips, play guard more.
    4) if rest and nsaids doesn't help, see your GP.
    5) don't go to AE, unless it's an emergency, which since your posting online, its not.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ice and rest man.

5. Ulsteryank

Ulsteryank Valued Member

Yea, I have bursitis on my knee and elbow. At one time I couldn't put any weight at all on it. Could walk fine, but the second I knelt down it just wasn't happening. It was right before a competition too, so I took pain killers and bit the bullet, but had to take 6 weeks of rest on doctor's orders afterward.

Hope yours doesn't develope into that. As mentioned treat it with ice, rest, and anti inflammatories. I go as far as adding certain things to my diet and rub in comfrey oil, but that's just me.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You have any history of knee pains? There's a lot of possible issues, or it's just post workout aches...I have a lot of knee issues, ranging from tears, floating debris, built up pressure and even the odd slippage of position (pops back in) and I just carry.

Also where is the pain?

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Pain is below and to the inside of the kneecap (i.e. left hand side of right knee and vice versa). Suspect just getting old and carting too much weight, but never a problem kickboxing so presume something in the nature of bjj is aggravating it

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Apples and oranges mate. Sort of like saying if it was OK to cycle then why can't I swim? Different mechanics, strengths etc. I suspect it's more likely that you are using your knee differently than normal and it doesn't have adequate flexibility (yet?).

I wouldn't want to speculate further with so little info but that is certainly one possibility.

When I returned to playing rugby I was in pain every game and for much of the week after for the first 3 years.

LFD