Knee injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by TRK, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TRK

TRK Valued Member

I have a strange thing going on in my knee. I injured it in class a few months ago. We were grappling and went to the ground. As I was going down, I felt a pop on the inside part of my knee joint. I can't remember exactly how force was applied, but I think it was sheer force on the knee from the side. There was no pain, but I sat out the rest of the class. The knee got a little stiff and was sore when I tried to bend it all the way, but otherwise it seemed fine. I assumed it was a minor thing, sat out of training for about a week and minimized how much I used it, but didn't think much of it.

Now, about 3 months later, it is still a little stiff. I don't notice pain unless I try to bend it all the way with pressure (i.e., sitting in seiza). I was doing soccer drills in a coaches clinic last weekend and must have twisted it a bit and it hurt, but the pain went away quickly, leaving only minor stiffness. I think I have done something unpleasant to a ligament, but am not completely sure. I thought it was a minor injury so I haven't seen a doctor. Does anybody have any thoughts on what this might be? I don't like that it doesn't seem to be healing.

2. 23197

23197 Valued Member

May have torn the meniscus. A good sports related orthopedic doc can give you a pretty good idea just by touching the knee like they did to me when I tore mine. They verified their opinion with an MRI and I was okay getting the knee scoped. Was on my feet in a day (crutches) and fulling training after rehab in a few months. The longer you wait the worse it can become. Good luck.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

More likely you have done some damage to your MCL (medial collateral ligament). It runs along the inside of your knee and injury is consistent with the symptoms and situations you describe. Damage to the ligaments aren't always painful but they can be serious.

However MCL injuries have a relatively high rate of co-occurrence with cartilage injuries, which can take longer to heal than the damage to the ligament itself.

Get yourself to a good sports doctor or physio (don't go to a normal GP) to get a diagnosis and treatment. If you don't rehab this sort of injury correctly it can screw up your knee long term and far after the original injury has healed. That's just how it is with knees.

4. TRK

TRK Valued Member

Well, according to the orthopedist, it is a textbook meniscus tear. I have an MRI scheduled to confirm. Good news is that it is fixable. Bad news is that it is only with surgery. This will be my first surgery ever. I guess something like this with a high success rate and a short recovery is a good way to start.

5. TRK

TRK Valued Member

...And the reason we use an MRI to confirm is that the MRI showed nothing wrong with my meniscus. They gave me some exercises to do, told me to be careful for the next 6-8 weeks, and all should be well.

I'm glad I don't have to have surgery.

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

That is good news. I'm recovering from surgery for an MCL repair. I am able to walk with a cane now after a month on crutches.

Knee injuries need to be taken seriously and a physician should be consulted immediately if you injure your knee.

7. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Good news, baby it at first. Believe me tearing your meniscus is to be avoided at all costs!

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good news :)

I tore up my knee and when I had MRi they said its completely destroyed. 1 frying pan strike to the head and a drill in the knee later, found to be completely intact (but still quite bruised up) technology eh?

The reason for your MRi results, could be same as mine, the swelling around the area giving a false reading or you mightve moved a little bit without realising during the scan.

Rehab rehab, physio physio. My physiotherapist was a hottie so I loved every bit of it.

Too bad she was pulling my leg ( :) )

....................................................................... I'll get me coat