Knackered, but pleased with myself...

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Jang Bong, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

At our school, our instructor (MAP member BRITTON) awards us our coloured sashes when he thinks us fit to have them - so every lesson is a continual assessment. However once a year (at a random time :D ) there is a 'Grading Day'... Today was it

Up until 2-3 weeks ago, I thought I was going to consolodate and prove my right to the blue sash I've been wearing. As I can only get to one class per week (which splits it's time between the unarmed Tang Soo Do and the weapon syllabus) I was happy with this progress.

Then last week - when asked to demonstrate a particular hyung (kata) which is part of the requirement to advance the line was said "Maybe we should have you go for your RED".

I pointed out a couple of other things I needed to learn or practice, and have been using every opportunity this week to prepare.

So after almost 2 hours this afternoon of:

Stamina training (just so our muscles won't behave properly ;) )
    Flexibility observation
    Hyungs (working up to our highest indiviual one, then repeating...)
    Specific kicks and kick combinations
    21-move blocking hyung
    3-step sparring
    Kong Kyuk Strike forms 1 and 2
    1-step sparring
    Free sparring (against higher grades)
    and (now that the brain is dead as well as the muscles) more punch/kick combos.

... he seemed very pleased with everyone. Individual results were given straight away, working through the white and yellow sashes that all improved a grade, and a fellow blue sash who consolidated that position, to me where he said "you pulled out all the stops today...... (honest - there were 5 dots :D ) red sash".

I've had a nice bath since I got back, but my legs are still not talking to me. :( It is a pity I'm working tomorrow and can't get to the regular Sunday class - the whole gang will be on a high.

So now I have about a year to further consolidate the techniques I've learned, and find out what else I need to take the next step to black sash. Onward and upward.... :)

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yes! Gan on mara!

Erm, Congrats mate :D :D :D

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Congrats to you Jang Bong! :D

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Well done Jang Bong, you should be pleased with yourself.

5. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Congrats on getting your red sash

Congrats Jang Bong. I can imagine you must be pleased with yourself especially if your 'gradings' seem to come at such random times. We always have lots of months to prepare before a grading and know exactly when the grading will be. We even have a pre-grading course to go if we are unsure of something (two weeks before actual grading). Congratulations !!!
    :D :D :D

Christian

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

GREAT JOB!!! Its always nice to be rewarded for hard work!

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Well down mate! Does this mean you can kick my ass yet? ;)

8. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Never was a problem with that mate... :D * waits for pretty girl to go by for distraction then KICK (and run) *

Hang on - your art states that the smallest person in the competition wins... How tall are you again? :p :D

It may an 'age' thing, but I view the gradings as proving you can do what you can do as opposed to trying to reach the next level beyond what you are doing now (the sort of 'preparation' you are talking about). The extra I needed to do was because I was close already :) Teaching evening classes I've seen people panic because the are going to be 'inspected / assessed'. I've said that anyone can come into any of my classes at any time - either I'm doing things right, or if I'm doing them wrong I want to KNOW.

Thanks to everyone for your wishes. Two days on, and my calf muscles are still objecting - but at work yesterday I was parked next-door to a moblie 'climbing wall' (and couldn't resist having a go) so my forearms are joining the call for me to act my age :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

5'11.5"

And the smallest person CAN win....doesnt mean theyyyyyyy

*looks at hot girl walking past

;)

10. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

Congrats....

Congrats Jang Bong---

This reminds me of my belt test... I was so worried- but I was confident in my technique, and I had the physical training capable of completing the test- but I was afraid that when I entered the belt examination, I wouldn't do so well... but I pulled it off really well-- Congrats on your part!! :)

For me, I had to do:
    1.) 1 mile run
    2.) 500 front kicks
    3.) 300 sit-ups
    4.)30 push-ups
    5.)Punching back-fist for 5 minutes
    6.)25 reps with dumbells (x4)
    7.)Ippons/Kihons/Taezu Naru Wazas
    8.)Katas (with Bunkai)
    9.)Free sparring
    10.)History of art

And a few others I can't name off the top of my head.... But we are all challenged in our lifes, and our goal is to rise above that challenge, and achieve what we went there to do. :)

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Congratz Jang! Great job!

- Matt