KJN Holmes moved to Texas???

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Nov 10, 2008.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I was looking at the masters page on the KSW websit and it lists Philip Holmes as being in Austin Texas. Is he opening a school there?

As a pitch to others from England. Why move from crappy cold weather to crappy hot weather? Come to California where the weather is nice all year around.

2. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Maybe KJN would rather be nearer the Grandmaster and sweating more, possibly for more reasons than just the weather. :)

3. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Nah that has to be some kind of typo. He was on the flight home with me and I got a letter from him only last week. Strange.

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Well, it wouldn't be the FIRST time HQ went public with typos or other errors all over the place. :p

What's more, Master Seung Ku Yea is listed as New York, when I distinctly saw him 'hanging out' with the team from Venezuela. Now, I know that (presently) 9th Dahn Eung Ku Lee was the original Korean master in Venezuela, but had turned it over to KJN S-K Yea when he relocated to the big apple quite some time ago. I hadn't heard that KJN S-K Yea had decided to do the same thing with regards to newly promoted KJN Rolando Garcia.

Also, there is no city listed for KJN Ken Duncan. Is this because he doesn't run an official KSW dojang? Last I heard, he was in Metairie, LA.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. Bahng Uh Ki

Last I heard he was out of the country and not active in KSW.

6. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I heard somewhere that KJN Ken Duncan is in Iraq as a contractor.

7. Bahng Uh Ki

Too bad he isn't teaching KSW to all the ladies there.

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I'm in Austin. That's news to me. I'll be at the dojang later this morning and ask if anyone knows. My guess tho is website typo?

Also on the Masters page I see that KJN Arby Hinojosa is listed as being in Austin. That's news to me as well. Any Houston folks know the score there?

9. unknown-KJN

I'm not a "Houston folk" but the last time I spoke with him, he had transfered back to Austin. IIRC, he was commuting back & forth between Austin and Houston, but I think he finally grew tired of that and quit his job at HP to go back to work for Dell.

I'm not sure where he resides in Austin (north side or south side), but he used to train under KJN BIL way back when he was attending UT, so my guess is since Austin now has a much better freeway/highway system than it once had, he could easily get to the north side to train with his former instructor no matter where he lives.

But if you were thinking of trying to convince him to come to SBN King's new dojang to workout, go ahead, he may be willing to do so a few times per week despite calling the north side his "home" dojang. :dunno:

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

sure, except for the mud slides, fires, earthquakes, over population, a state government that is so far into peoples personal lives, not to mention everything costs 3x as much,oh yeah Im packing my bags for the peoples republic of california right now:rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Haha, that is pretty good.

Let's see. Too have a mudslide you need at least a hill. I think the largest mountain in Texas is a mound they built for a freeway overpass.

Earthquakes suck, but we have building codes that make most houses survive them just fine. Hurricanes are so much better.

The only reason why housing costs 3x as much is because people actually want to live here.

I think you are just jealous. Let's face it, this is the home state of Metallica. What do you have, Pantera?

12. unknown-KJN

TX vs CA

You obviously are unfamiliar with Texas. Lack of hills/mountains and the threat of hurricanes only applies to the coast. There are swamps and desert and mountains and all sorts of various landscapes to be found in Texas (see Big Bend).

[​IMG]

If TX had cliff-side beaches along it's coastline like CA, it would be perfect in my book. I think the jibe at gov't being overly done in CA could be part of the reason that homes are relatively so expensive in CA as compared to TX, but then, that's just a guess on my part.

Also don't take this to mean that I think CA sucks, I've spent time in both places, and both have their pros & cons.

[​IMG]
    note: above picture of Yosemite is my way of showing impartiality since I also inserted a picture of Big Bend :D

You also listen to the "wrong" music genre, and a little PBS program called, "Austin City Limits" will attest to that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  13. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I asked about it this morning and yeah, that's apparently the deal. I had no idea. I don't see him that much (since I'm down south, attending SBN King's school). Where he lives, I don't know, but if he's back working at Dell likely he's living way up north side of Austin.

No one knew about KJN Holmes.

As for Texas.... all y'all just can't understand. :) I have to travel to California on business a lot (the company I work for is based there), and I agree it's very pretty out there (I love flying into SJC then driving 17 over the hill... just gorgeous and a lot of fun to drive). And while the heat here may be oppressive at times, the laws sure aren't, at least compared to the People's Republik of Kalifornia. :evil:

And sure, there's Austin City Limits, but I'll take Pantera (especially over Metallica) any day.

But now we're going....:topic:

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Unknown-KJN when making humorous or emotional arguement I find it best to steer clear of facts. They tend to get in the way. President Bush taught me that.

According to Paul Ekman, when someone is an emotional state they filter out all information that doesn't support that state. On that note, those are two nice pictures of California you have there.

15. Bahng Uh Ki

When are people not in an emotional state? I think we constantly TRY to proove we are rational beings, but as we interpret everything though our sences, which are inexorably tied to our hormonally driven bodies, I'm not sure we can ever be sure. Look at some of the religious arguments of the past (like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin) and remember then these people thought they were being very reasonable and rational. They were the scholars of the day.

Please to pardon if any facts got in the way of this message!

16. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm glad my brother's not here, we're spared a lecture on cognitive dissonance.

17. Bahng Uh Ki

I think we just had one anyway! :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  18. unknown-KJN

Wow! I haven't heard that term (cognitive dissonance) since studying psychology back in college. But I did read a report a few years ago (don't recall the author, unfortunately) where the researcher had more or less proved that due to the way information is transmitted along the neurons, that humans are better described as emotional beings that reason, rather than thinking beings that feel. FWIW

And to KSW_123, take a closer look at those pics, the first one is of Big Bend Nat'l Park (located in TX). :cool:

And am I missing something? What the hell does THIS mean, anyway?

19. ember

ember Valued Member

Alas, I can count the number of psychology courses I've taken on one hand, and none of them were cognitive science.

I'm always interested in learning more, but when it's served up with a sizable portion of ego, coated in sarcasm and dripping with condescension -- I tend to choke.

Anyway, according to my brother:
    "...I came to discover not only that consciousness is a strictly physical phenomenon, but that non-physical entities like 'souls', 'minds', 'demons', 'angels', and so on are logical impossibilities."

and:
    "If your beliefs and my beliefs clash, however, science is the objective arbiter. We can determine which beliefs are false and which are true. And while you're free NOT to value 'truth', I'm free to ridicule you for believing something absurd."

If I were truly interested in arguing with him, I would study what Bahng Uh Ki has said, the chemical reactions involved in emotions (dopamine, seratonin, etc...). Unfortunately, the existence of the hormones/chemicals would not validate emotional reactions in my brother's way of thought.

But I have my own interests to pursue separate from him, so I don't have time to put a lot of study into this right now.

20. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Thats sig worthy