Kiwi FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mike-a, Jul 23, 2005.

1. sangot

sangot New Member

...Kiwi's Holdign Rattan stick doing HAKA....nice!

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

that must be a sight to see. rick n mike should come up with one.

3. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

If you are talking about Arnis Philipppines for the ARPI Style tournament, here is their website for more information:

www.arnisphilippines.com

I was also able to visit one of the tournament that they have run just this morning, (an Inter School tournament here in the Philippines, was a good one too!) and someone gave me a calendar of their activities. It seems that they are going to have several international activities, including International tournaments. I just don't know yet if they have already posted it in their site.

Good day to you and to all the FMA practitioner all over the world

4. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

The All Blacks have a new haka now. It's called "Kapa O Pango". It ends with them drawing a thumb across the throat, as if to cut. Caused some controversy for being too violent.

Here's a pic of the "objectionable" bit.

Of course, some folks are a bit whiny about it...

A blade gesture would be more than appropriate in an FMA situation - surely!

:D

5. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I meant ARPI style rules, padded stick , helmet and gloves , no body protector etc. As opposed to WEKAF style rules. I'm not sure ARPI would sanction a tournament here, just yet :D

Thanks for the site link though. Interesting that one of the founding memebers was from NZ, Manny Cawil. I haven't heard of him though. Some contact details would be good...

6. sangot

sangot New Member

...ei Mike if you can Drop by hong kong after your tour in the philippines. Show me those NEW HAKA by All Blacks....your in Mla july?...could be the same time as Hong Kong Sevens......

7. HenryC4

HenryC4 New Member

Thought I might as well reply to this thread as it's not too old. I'm from the Cacoy Doce Pares group in Christchurch. Just to update, as there seemed to be a lot of mentions made about the group in this thread.

8. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Myself and Pat O'Malley will be teaching in Auckland, New Zealand the first weekend in December this year.

We will be teaching Rapid Arnis and Doce Pares 'Original Multistyle', but you may be interested to know that we are bringing a guy called Paul Smith with us who is a top Wing Chun Instructor who trains with Samuel Kwok and has also trained several times with Ip Ching in Hong Kong. I think he has been training for about 30 years, so quite well versed, you could say.

Paul Smith's wife is actually from New Zealand so a social visit aswell and then we are all off to the PI to compete in the World Arnis Alliance Padded Stick Tournament in Manila, probably do some training too and then off to Cebu to train for a month.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

As mentioned by the lovely Lucy :D their is a padded stick world championships being held in Manila on the 2nd weekend of December (8th - 10th) I will be taking a crew from Scotland, England and Ireland and I do beleive that Clinton in Aukland is looing to see if he can take a Kiwi Team together, so might be worth having a chat with him.

And if your looking to do a padded stick event in NZ, I know the World Arnis Alliance will sanction it for you. If you get the chance we can have a talk in December.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  10. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I was wondering if we'd hear from someone from there.

How long ago did the group start?

When I left Christchurch (early 90's) Greg Henderson was teaching Diamondback eskrima (somewhere around Woolston or Linwood I think) and a lady from the PI named Celia was teaching Warriors eskrima. That was pretty much it, aside from Chan's group bringing over Remy Presas occasionally.

I understand your group also trains in wing chun. When I left the only guy teaching that was Kevin Earle, although I never trained with him.

11. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

That's just *one* of the things I'm gonna have to pick your brains about.

Any chance of Lucy bringing some of the padded sticks She sells over? I'm pretty sure you'll get some sales, as I'm keen to try them out, and Clint's guys are just getting into sparring with smak sticks.

12. Lucy O'Malley

I will see what I can do, only problem is we are going away for about 5 weeks and have two little kids with us, so there might not be much luggage space.

We have to bring a cot and pushchair with us, so it takes up a large proportion of our luggage allowance as one of our children does not get a luggage allowance but needs more stuff than the rest of us.

If someone has an idea of what people may want, I could possibly send it over in advance, by courier.

Lucy

13. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

No worries. I'll be training with Clint tonight, so I'll get his guys to look at your site and see what they like.

In terms of construction are the sticks like the ones GM Diony supplies with the thin rattan, or more like the Lameco eskrima ones (a bit heavier)?

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  14. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

maybe this would be better discussed by PM :D

15. Lucy O'Malley

Sorry, no problem. Feel free to erase anything you do not feel is relevant.

Lucy

16. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

frett not petal :D

17. RANZ-ClintJones

RANZ-ClintJones New Member

Hello Henry ,
    Clinton From Rapid Arnis Auckland .

1.4 Posting Personal Contact Information (Address/ Phone Number):
    Members may not post personal contact information such as home address, work address, home telephone number, work telephone number, email address etc., in the public forums.
    1.4.1 ANYONE, including guests to MAP, can read the public forums - this policy is in place for YOUR safety and protection.

3.3 Martial Arts Seminars & Events
    Martial arts seminars and events may be advertised by regular members in the "Event Promotion" forum.
    3.3.1 Please see the rules there for specific requirements.
    3.3.2 If you wish to pay to advertise, please contact an Administrator via the PM (Private Messaging) system.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  18. Master JC

Master JC New Member

Please don't spam

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006