Kiwi FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mike-a, Jul 23, 2005.

1. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Oh, just heard tonite from Damian: Marc Denny (Crafty Dog of the Dog Brothers) may be teaching in Auckland in November (Not when I'm I Oz, hopefully).

Damian had a *very* productive time training with him in LA. Mostly the Kali Tudo stuff, but also some Krabi Krabong. And we'll be playing with that stuff soon :eek:

Also Rey Galang almost certainly in October...

Will post on here when details are finalised, and so far, all of this will be open. So maybe you might want to bring some guys up from down the line, eh Riki?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Lol ,real bad timing ,you could just tell the girlie to go with out you (as it’s her family )as someone needs to stay behind with Basil lol .It’s a good idea yeah? Some how I don’t think your girlie will go for it tho . ;)

I liked the funny story bud, :) ,Ahh foot traps,my ole instructer use to love foot traps (on me ).tell jarrod to take a pair of steel caps lol

Yes please let us know the dates for these ,text or call me or email me. as well as put it up here.

For sure Mike :D ,we would be keen,Let us know cost’s ectect asap ,so as I can confirm numbers attending from my end.hopefully it dosnt clash with Gordon's visit.

3. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

After training yesterday, Damian said that he would try to get Marc Denny out for the first weekend in December (so I'm back from family stuff, but its before the Dan Inosanto seminars). It'll probably be a couple of sessions on basics, krabi-krabong and the newer kali-tudo stuff, over a couple of days. Still don't know about the cost, though it may be a bit pricey ($100ish or so), pretty much what you'd pay for, say, Dan Inosanto in Oz.

Master Rey may be cheaper (don't know how much). Still don't have a date on that, probably October-ish. He'll cover Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo, Tulisan knfe fighting, and probably hagibis (grappling) as well.

Damian brought back some new sparring gear. We've got new padded sticks (called smak-sticks) in stick and knife size, and a lighter version of the wekaf headgear. The headgear probably wouldn't cope too well with heavy stick contact, but we've got fencing masks and stuff for that. Knife sparring is *way* different with heads allowed as targets!

If you were thinking of bringing up guys for a weekend (say for the seminars) we could probably line up a bunch of other training. Jarrod (my JKD/Kali instructor) has always had an open door policy for folks who wanna play, 'cause it just adds to the fun! And a few others of us get together on Sunday afternoons. We mix in grappling, balintawak, even some wing chun. Lotsa fun!

4. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Gidday Mike

I only just saw this topic, pls dont forget to keep me posted on who's coming for seminars & when ...

The next couple of months are flat out for me too but if I can fit it in I will. The jousting performances & training are taking up so much of my time these days.

Still not sure when John Will is coming again and I want to be able to make it for his seminar as I missed the last one. :(

Just heard we are now "performing" at the lifestyles expo, whatever that is... LOL

5. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Hiya Reiki, was wondering when you'd wade in ... :D

I'll post anything up here, when it's organised. It's looking like late October for Master Rey and December for Marc Denny.

My Bakbakan instructor, Damian, is off to the Philipines for the Bakbakan "gathering" in October (apparently, it was his Father's Day present!!!). This event is a tournament with many types of weapons fighting (single and double stick, knife, long stick) and a 5 day seminar with a whole bunch of different styles teaching. It would be extremely redundant to say I'm jealous... He may even have organised some other folks to come and visit here soon.

6. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

cool!

mind you I've got so much happening in Oct I may not be able to fit anything more in... :D

I am doing my debut for the jousting displays in a couple of weeks, so am focused on that for the time being. We had just under 10,000 people there for the last one so it'll be a bit of a challenge for all of us to keep the horses behaving with that sort of pressure & atmosphere! Heaven help anyone who peeves me off cos I'll have no hesitation in jumping in the crowd and dealing to them with my broadsword!

We are still trying to get our MA instructors certification camp scheduled again after the venue decided they wanted more $$ than they'd originally quoted for us to stay.

7. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I was talking to a guys I used to train with. He's trying to organise some kind of stick-fighting tournament.

I'm unsure what format they'll use, as none of then have fought WEKAF rules (or even worn the gear, I think!) It may be limited armour and padded sticks ala Arnis Philipines and Bakbakan kali.

In fact, my Bakbakan instructor may have ideas about organising one himself, if he likes what he sees in the Philipines.

Or I might!

8. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Goddamnit!!!!

ARGH!!!!

Found out at training tonight, the only weekend Marc Denny can make it over is the last weekend in November. The weekend I'm in Oz doing stuff with the Girlie's family. :bang:

Same thing happened last year with Bobby Taboada...

I am *not* very happy... :mad:

9. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

:bang: How typical. Feel sorry for you.

Happens to me all the time too.

Have you checked out my bloody big stick picture in my journal?! :D
    --->check out my new sparring gear too!

The bit you dont see is the extra 3 feet or so tucked under my arm at the back AND the extra 3 feet of tip on the front that fits into the pipe socket.

THAT's what you call a stick. Nicely weighted too at about 6kg.

Now how's about some stick fighting with my stick vs your escrima sticks? :eek:

10. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Howdy Reiki ,finally another kiwi FMA on the map form lol. For a while there I thought it was just me & mike, If I remember rightly you train in arnis as a add on to your karate.How is your training going?
    Hey Mike I told my guys & they are keen ,wont know numbers till closer to the date .

Did Damian bring any extra smak- sticks back with him ,that he wants to sell?

That would be cool mike ,looking forward to playing with your group when we come up to one of the seminars (probable Rey Galangs).

Right there with you on the green eyed monster lol. Hopefully he can organize other folks to come visit here.
    Let us know what format the guy you use to train with is organizing , That would be good if Damian organizes a bakbakan tournament. Hopefully once Gordon is up here ,we will have a plan going forward for Wekaf tournaments in the future in NZ. It would be good to see the sport side of eskrima (no matter what format) come out in NZ

BUGGER!!!!!! :bang: :cry: same week-end as Gordon up here ,
    Im sure basil needs a chaperone (you )while the girliee is with her family in OZ lol ;)

11. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Hiya Ricki

Damian brought a couple of the smak sticks back with him, and a couple of knife size ones as well. I know he'll be brining more in soon. When he does, and has pricing down, I'll PM you his contact details. They are *lotsa* fun! I should try and get some of Lucy O'Malleys padded sticks, as they have had good reviews...

As for the staying to look after Basil bit, I don't think it'll wash. By then, he may have a friend to play with, as the Girlie is after a little dog. I think the dog will get shredded, but that's just my opinion. :p (I'll be secretly coaching the Baz!)

We're in Oz from the friday to the monday, with any luck Marc will be staying around for a day or two, so I may get a chance to train with him. (Probably have to be a private though, so quite expensive!)

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Hiya Rick

I've been popping in here from time to time :) just to make sure you boys behave.

its been a tad busy lately & I haven't been here that often because as you prob know I am moderating another MA forum elsewhere, so have to spread time between the 2. And fit in training etc.

yes we still do arnis as part of the syllabus, arnis mati for about 40% and the rest is from modern arnis. Lately I've been learning the 12 count stuff plus disarms and counters.

I've moved on to really BIG sticks in my "spare" time! [ lances ] :D

How do you like my new "sparring gear" LOL :cool:

[​IMG]

The "stick" is 12ft long, there's about 3ft of it hiding behind my armpit and another 3ft of tip to go into the pipe on the business end that isn't showing on this pic. I took a full blow on the breastplate in the weekend and it was like being bumped by a pillow but it put a 5mm deep dimple in the steel!

I can still kick in this gear [and punch] altho the slightest movement makes quite a noise so no stealth moves here! ;) You should hear it when the horse gets up to full speed, sounds like a sackful of tins & coins rattling and swishing and clanking. The chain mail shirt is made of hi-tensile steel so is nearly impervious to most things.

We were live on Sky Sport a couple of weeks ago in front of just under 10,000 spectators, the next NZ Knights match is next Thurs nite but I won't be going because it's a MA training nite and I am not missing my 2 MA classes for a weeknite match.

I will however be at the following home match on Sun 16th but I won't be wearing this gear, I'll be wearing a long dress. :eek:
    Hope I don't have to bail out at warp speed! :eek:
    Keep yr fingers crossed that I don't drop my sword or the horse doesn't decide to misbehave! Could be interesting .... and scary.

13. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Yippee!

Found out tonite Marc Denny will probably be in Auckland 2nd week of December, so I CAN TRAIN!!!!!

Actually, I have a sneaky feeling this is when Guro Inosanto is in Oz, but it is unlikely I can afford to go there twice in 3 weeks...

Of course Marc is a student of Dan's, maybe they'd like to catch up in Auckland...

That would be *very* nice, but highly unlikely :(

However it seems unlikely that Rey Galang will be visiting Auckland, as his weekends in this part of the world are likely to be in Oz, and he has limited time.

If he does come here, it's more than likely to be during the week. I can probably arrange time off (I have 3 months worth of leave owed!) but it's probably not too good for Guys like Ricki and his crew :(

Oh, I have some pics of some of us sparring with the padded sticks Damian brought back from the states in my journal. I'm not in them 'cos I was taking the pics. And I'm camera-shy :rolleyes: . Although I may be in Master Rey's new book on knife fighting, if only being a pin cushion for Damian demonstrating his stuff!

And Reiki... if you attend any of these training sessions (or train with us any other time, open door policy you know) YOUR LANCE IS NOT WELCOME!!! :p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  14. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Mmmm don’t know about two eskrima sticks,maybe one eskrima stick & a can opener lol

That would be great.

Lol ,Im pretty sure basil could look after himself ,but it sounded like a good excuse not to go away lol

Awesome, what sort of disarms are you learning ? what is arnis mati?
    Wow that is a big stick.. cool armour

Good luck on Sunday,I missed out in seeing the event they had in Wellington at the beginning of the year ,my mate went down and watched and he said it was awesome to watch.Do you know of any future events coming up down in Wellington?

That would be nice A Dan & Marc seminar,but as you say highly unlikely.Let us know when you have confirmation on marc’s date in December ,I think that might be the start of the school holidays. :eek:

Bugger!!! Yes you would be right a seminar during the week ,would probably not be good for us, Im pretty sure if Rey Galang doesn’t come over or comes over during the week ,There will be another chance next year to attend.
    I had a look ,only one pic showed up of a big guy dressed in black against a guy holding single stic in white.

Mike I have a couple of spare can openers you can use if Reiki does turn up with her Lance lol :p
    we are having our monthly get togeather this sunday,so i will finaly get some taping done for you Mike.

15. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I was having a bit of trouble last night with the image vbcode tags. Have a look now and see if all the picks show up. (Let me know if they don't...)

16. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

howdy mike ,
    just the picture with the comments "Justin has been disarmed, and is running away from an immanent gutting by Pete." is not there .the other photo's are there .what gloves are the guys using ?

17. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I found if I reload the page, or come back to it later, all the pics show up.

If there's a problem, it could be with MAP, or blogger, as the pics are from my blog (www.muchsod.blogspot.com).

They're wearing hocky gloves. Justin has my big, heavy pair on for hand (stick) sparring, but none for knife, Pete just has light street hockey gloves on.

Damian has some lacrosse gloves he got in the States, but you can't see them in the pic.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  18. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

;) 'tis a bit scary isnt it! especially when its coming at you at full speed LOL
    can I bring my horse instead? he likes chasing & biting people... ;)

I took a full hard hit in the stomach with a lance the other day in the armour and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it might. In fact I've taken much harder hits in sparring with no protection.

you'll need more than a can-opener Rick, the steel's a bit thicker than that! :D

19. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up to see if and new NZ FMA folks have appeared..

I'd be real interested to hear from anyone doing kali with Geoff Aitkin's group (Academy of Combat?) in Christchurch, or the Wing Chun group that train in Cacoy Doce Pares.

To anyone else around the place, we have several FMA groups in Auckland (including one recently affiliated to MAP's own Pat O'Malley!) and we'd love to play.

The other idea we're playing with is an ARPI style tournament here...

Anyone keen?

20. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Howdy Mike,
    As you know we are still here.And we would be keen for any tournaments.I would also be interested to hear from anyone from the clubs you mentioned.