Kip Ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combatant, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Can anyone here do kip ups? How long did it take you to be able to do them? I've been trying and failing miserably for ages. I've stopped doing them at the gym at work now as people think I am having a siezure. :p

http://www.ricebowlcinema.com/Kip Up.htm

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It took me about six months of staying late and practicing them after class. Mine aren't great but will get me on my feet. My guess is I could probably do a good kip up with another six months of practice. It's a tough one to learn and the heavier and taller you are the harder it's going to be.

3. Achilles

Achilles Valued Member

I used to be able to do those but I have not tried since I broke my foot. All I can say is it takes alot of practice.

4. dimmak

dimmak Banned Banned

Are you serious? Kip ups are so easy, just keep practising and youll get it for sure. There is not much that goes into doing one.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

When I was younger and skinnier they were easy enough, now I have more bulk it's a lot harder to do.

6. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I've tried them a few times, but I can't do them yet. They're supposedly so easy, but I'm closer to being able to do an aerial.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

From the mechanics of it, it looks as if you push yourself up with your hands rather then whipping your body up. Try doing some reverse pushups and falling from a handstand into a back bend. Then try : P.

8. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

Here's your handy dandy how-to for kipups.

First, the ENTIRE body is involved. Just just pushing with your hands, not jut kicking with your legs. When you first start you want to lay on the ground, put your hands behind your shoulders, palms flat on the ground, fingers pointed towards your feet.
    Now roll your body up so that your legs are bent and your knees are as close to on your shoulders as you can get.
    Now you are going to push with your arms as you uncoil your body with force. You will perform an arc and land on your feet as long as your body movement is coordinated. If you have very strong arms you might over rotate and stumble forward. But you don't have to be very powerful to do it.

Kintanon

9. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

not overly difficult once you get a feel for it.
    I recommend practicing on soft ground (if it wasn't obvious).

The main trick is exploding...you must uncoil everythign synchronously, otherwise you'll probably fail myserably.

1. Lay on your back and place your hands over your shoulder (you canwork to remove the hands once your good at them...it will then rely on the full uncoiling motion)
    2. Raise your legs over your body, getting your knees as close to your head as possible, bending at the knees so that your coiled up.
    3. Quickly uncoil, flexing all the muscles being utilize, pushing off with your arms and kicking towards a 45 degree angle.
    4. Prepare to land keeping the back straight.

10. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

The key is that you need to get your feet where your **** is (or was) that way phsyics works in your favour as you'll be trying to bring the body uprigth over your base instead of further out from you. Until I started concentrating on that I failed miserably...and have the medical reports to prove it :)

11. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Some great tips there, thanks people. I'm going to go back and give it another shot tonight and see how I do.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I can do them with hands, you basically have to think your going voer the top of a bridge and round again.

13. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

It took me about half an hour, mind you that was at about 130lbs. I'm now near enough 160lbs and can still do them pretty easily, but that's just because I've kept doing them as I've put on the weight. It's all in the technique, your body has to work as a unit, keep practising! :)

14. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

Its weird i've heard a lot of people say they had to practise for months to get this, i did it after watching Jackie Chan when i was about 9 and have never forgotten it. I think the people who said it helps to be skinny r probably right, im only 56kg, maybe that makes it easier.

15. TheCount

Im 8 stone 4 ish..hehe. I just cant do it without my arms at all

16. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't that between 110 and 120 pounds? How tall are you?

17. TheCount

116lb, im 5'6.75

18. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

You must be waaay skinny. I used to be 5'8" and 118 pounds and I was extremely skinny.

19. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Didn't take long at all for me. I just looked at a good tutorial for it online and got it quick.

20. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I've been working on these pretty hard the last few days. I've gotten to the point where I can land them on the balls of my feet every time, but usually end up falling back. Twice I've managed to land upright, sort of like in the bottom position of a hindu squat. From there I can stand up pretty easily, but it's not good enough. It seems I'm not getting enough height to land fully standing. Any tips? Thanks.

P.S. Did you get them down yet Combatant?