King Mo positive for steroids

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Hannibal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

All of these positive results leave a bad taste in the mouth.....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update-King-Mo-Lawal-Tests-Positive-for-Steroid-Manager-Denies-Use-39245

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You would think that fighters may have a list of "things not to take".
    Although I know its difficult because theyre not scientists/medical professionals or anything.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sadly, it's pretty prevalent in the mma community. i've seen lots of low-level guys that i've come into contact with take this stuff. oh they don't admit it, but when you see them put on weight before a fight, it's pretty obvious.

it's not taking something by accident. it's getting caught that to them is problematic. penalties have to be more severe. which is why i like the olympic penalties: 2 year ban on first offense, lifetime ban after.

4. This is great! No bad taste for me. :)

Osu!

Ohhhhhhh, poor little bunnies, they did not know because it is too difficult!
    Come on Mushroom, wake up!

They have a very precise list of what to take and when that allows them all to cheat all the time and only get caught once in a while!

MMA has become like American Idol or WWF of late; nothing to do with Martial Arts, or sports! It is pure show business!

OSu!

5. Hannibal

Horsecrap

I don't care how "entertaining" they try and make it at the end of the day you still have to be able to fight and win, and that will never become secondary

6. Yep, same thing with bankers and politicians, the problem is getting caught!
    They have no problems with cheating, lying, stealing and sleeping with your wife!

Osu!

7. I agree with that.
    It is still pure show business === Remember "Gladiator" (The movie)

Are you not entertained?

They also had to win or they did not go home for dinner; they lived in a close knit community of warriors sharing the same ethos, etc...
    Yet, their job was to put up a show, not a fight!

Osu!

8. Hannibal

You cannot put on a show if you cannot fight - Gladiators fought or died with entertainment coming in second. In fact the entertainment was the perverse pleasure derived from watching death rather than by the displays put on by the participants

No one in MMA can get by on just entertainment value

9. Yes, that's one angle to look at it, I agree.

Another one is that without the entertainment value, the UFC would not exist.
    The fights are just a vehicle that the UFC uses to attract people.

The Roman Circus existed because of its entertainment value, not to promote fights or fighters.

Osu!

10. Hannibal

The fights and the entertainment are symbiotic IMO - they need each other!

11. Osu,

My head is spinning with black kettles and pots:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2389167

:eek::eek::eek:

Osu!

12. Mushroom

OK, maybe I should be a little more clear (hands up on that one) you already know my views on the past steroid threads. Yes they exist, yes even our favourite fighters take them as absolutely no one is clean cut. Except maybe Randy...I dunno.

Anyway, when I meant they have a list of what not to take...its meant as in what that particular board of that particular area deems as "illegal".

JUST AN FICTIONAL EXAMPLE (for those who dont easily get it)

Nevada State - Drostanolone is bad, evil, oooh
    Japan - Drostanolone? Crack on mate (thumbs up)

Also why are you always crooning on about bankers on steroid threads? Why not the families who work the system and gain million pound houses that are paid for by the taxpayer (or some such)?

13. Okay, it is a pet peeves of mine...
    When a society starts rewarding cheating and lying, there is no stopping its collapse.

America is the richest country in the world and self proclaimed defender of the widows and orphans... What sort of example and leadership are they offering the world?

The damage being done will take a lot of time and a lot of pain to be resolved.

That's why! :)

As to different chemicals in different areas..... hummmmm let's stick to the IOC list and enforce it, we'll already be miles ahead of the swamp we are in now! :)

Osu!

14. Mushroom

Looking at FightersOnly, King Mo's manager has called up stating that Mo did recieve a "non anabolic" for a lingering knee problem. (which he can be seen at times wearing a patella strap in his fights)

They are asking for a second test to be done on 2 samples that were submitted at the time. So will see...

15. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I find it really sad that such high level fighters and martial artest feel the need to take steroids to improve their already high performance.

Almost as sad as going to the gym to see 15 year olds taking Cortisone to bulk up.

16. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

With this rash of positive tests, can we assume that there was a wee breakthrough in the testing process, but in a wee while the masking agents will catch up and we'll see everyone coming up clean?

17. Mushroom

Just read the further information on King Mo's result. Apparently he took a over the counter supplement which also contained a pre-cursor for the anabolic he has been tested positive for.
    He still states he'll take/accept whatever punishment is given to him as in the end its the fighter's responsibility of what goes into the body, but will hand in the research for the board's consideration.

Its not the first time, I remember a British Olympic Skiier (i cant remember his name) was tested positive in the Olympic committee's tests, quite a few years ago. Turned out that a over the counter inhalant (those minty ones you sniff for block noses) contained an element that was on the banned list.

18. LOL - If not on the box, it is written on the notice inside the box!
    No surprise here - it did not happen by chance! :rolleyes:

When everything else fails and you got caught with your pants down, claim ignorance and imbecility! :rolleyes:

Osu!