Kind of Put off by new school.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by odysseus, Sep 19, 2013.

1. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

I have moved from one state to another for work, and have went on a 30 day trial basis with a new school in NC. It was my understanding that from the website that it has a $100 value, and it gives me time to evaluate this schools style and curriculium before I decide to join. I went to class yesturday which was more like a study hall where everyone was working on whatever they felt like. Seemed like a good idea but it wasn't very structured at all. The head instructor told me that people are drilling techniques required for their stripes as he tests for every stripe. He also told me that there is a list of techniques required for each stripe. So the first hour was just people drilling or talking then the next hour he gave a class on how points are scored in IBJJ tournaments. I found that very informative, and enjoyed it until I asked him in class about "what about this technique in NO Gi..." he said Lets not even go there right now(very snippy about it too)... but 20 minutes later he began to talk about whats legal in No Gi is illegal in Gi. Then when class was over I asked him if I could see the list of techniques that he requires for the stripes and he says "No... you won't get any of that until you officially sign up"... It kinda put me off in a way because I wanted to see whats so different about his technique requirements against my old school which was ran by a 4th degree 5x World Champion.

Downside is they don't seem to teach much take downs, more guard pulling than Im use to.

I'm still on the fence as to joining up or not. I find his students very friendly, and so far willing to help show techniques although they are around my level. I have yet to see the instructor teach anything so far but again this is just week 2. The instructor just recieved his Black belt 3 years ago from a highly respected BB from a similar lineage than mine so thats why I was interested to begin with.

Can anyone offer som advise or recommendations? Should I just deal, and see what unfolds? I have been put off by other bad schools in the past which caused me to leave.

2. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

If it was me, I would go and check out a couple of other schools in the area and take some classes and compare.

Trust your gut and it sounds like you have an idea what you are looking for.

It's also concerning that you haven't seen the instructor teach anything and you are on the second week.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

by joining, do you have to sign a long-term commitment?

are there other schools in the area you can try? or have you tried them all?

4. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

There are other schools in the area but one good schools are too expensive for me, and just not a good fit for me personality wise. They have some decent guys there but very old school top heavy games not teaching much of the modern stuff to be honest. Also very political they run alot of BJJ in NC and think they are the best. Very ego centric guys there and they are stingy with training partners, and technique. I felt held back on purpose, like their blue belt means more in their school than mine... its kinda true but only because they sand bag like hell.. most guys in that school stay blue for 5+ years.

Unfortunately doesn't offer alot of top quality bjj stuff like my previous state.

5. Giovanni

there's something to be said for old-school.

well, even though it might not be ideal, at least you'll be training in bjj if you go to the first school.

6. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Old school is a big financial issue for me. They want way to much money and I have a tight budget.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Use the full month trial, and turn up regularly to see how the teaching goes.

Then if its the best you can afford, join, or train elsewhere if not.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This is kinda of a weird attitude for you to have. Just turn up and get better, or dont turn up and dont get better, its quite a simple choice.

9. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Theres a back story to this than what I'm saying that i don't want to get into but your are 100% correct everyone is on their own journey which can take longer than expected.... I get it believe me I do and I'm not looking to get promoted fast by any means.. I do want to earn my future rank. I just detest sandbagging is what it comes down to but I guess its normal now adays.

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If you've got a few years in, the chance to just work your own stuff in a more open-mat format can be one of the best ways to progress. If you're fairly new, you need a more structured curriculum than it sounds like those guys provide.

11. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Been training since 2010 and I'm a Blue Belt. I have been a white belt for 3 years, and was just promoted in December. Open mat is great I love it but I like structure of learning and drilling new techniques too.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I would just shut up and train. If at the end of a month you've improved your skills, shut up and train some more. If not go someplace else.

13. Giovanni

I'm a three year white too! Granted I took a year off in the middle, but still.

Me and friends use Andre Galvao's drill book during off-hours. You can also drill movements solo at home.

14. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

I do drill shrimping, break falls, judo throws etc. I was seriously considering purchasing a training dummy to drill arm bars, omoplata, collar chokes so they become very fluid.

15. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

If you're not getting the throw training you want you can always supplement by adding a night or two of judo. Great conditioning and usually quite inexpensive.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You get what you pay for. Class should be 90% movement 10% chit chat at worst, if you are getting the movement from the class then you should be OK. If regular class is all this talk about rules then its probably not good (though the information is very useful, it should not be the focus)

I personally don't judge myself on the belt I wear, but the belt of the person I can handle, gotta love it when people come to visit :)

17. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

hey man i was a MMA instructor in NC for a long long time what area in NC do you live in i lived in the raleigh/Durham area i know a lot about the schools and fighters there as my students competed against a lot of them

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

When I first trained with my current shihan, he seemed quite impatient with me, which was off-putting. Afterward, I talked to a sempai about it, and she said he's simply picky about technique. I stuck with it for a month and found the style was actually better for me than my previous, more easy-going instructor. Lots more practical application and useful knowledge. I would say give it a try for a month and see how you feel about it. Hope this helps.

19. Giovanni

when we roll, you'll know: mattt can beat a white belt.

i thought my company had signed a deal with a new exchange out in brooklyn and for us to do the engineering work. sadly, fell through...

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Ah crap- would have been fun. Make sure you drop me a line when you come in , I can sort out a Gi etc if needed.