Kimura did WHAT to trees?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Adam, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Taken from www.judoinfo.com : "Quite often he (Kimura) would practice against a tree, always at midnight. One instance, Wushi-Zima, a two time champion, was aroused by a commotion in the nearby woods. When he checked out the noise it turned out to be Kimura doing uchikomi against a tree. On another occasion when he observed Kimura's strangely improvised uchikomi, Wushi-Zima asked "Are you still trying to kill that tree?"

http://www.judoinfo.com/kimura.htm

What's uchikomi? Was he actually trying to throw a tree?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Uchikomi is "in and out" practice, stepping in and taking strain. Basically it's the whole of a throwing techique bar the actual throw itself

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I think it just means 'repetitive drills'.

Cheers. :)

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

kimura sure was a badass. used to hang out with mas oyama. they should have gone into tag team wrestling :D

5. Stick

Stick New Member

Kimura did pro wrestling. During one match, Kimura was sucher punched and then choked. Mas was so mad he offered (his mob connections) to have the guy wacked. :cool: You lookin' at me?

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

apparently Mas Oyama found the guy in a pub and was about to deal him out, when the guy picked up a metal pole. Oyama said he was such a coward that he wasnt even worth beating and left.

7. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Back on topic!

Dear Sir,

Imagine this...you take off your belt, rap it around the trunk of a tree, pull the belt hard, and slam your hip, buttocks, or leg into the tree as if pulling your opponent into you for a throw.

This type training builds power beyond imagination. Imagine a man who practices this way for hours a day as part of his regular workout. Now after the coarse of a year of this training...how hard would it be to stop this action against yourself?

People get broken in his grip...the ability to preform Kuzushi techniques beyond belief!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

when he heard his opponents were training 6 hours a day to beat him, he started training for 9. what a machine.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What Spookey said. You can also do this sort of training with a punchbag or a washing pole (though make sure its not corroded at the bottom like my mums was when I pulled it out the ground).

Uchi komi doesn't need to just be about developing power, it is a great tool for learning proper entry technique/foot and hip work.

Normally done with a partner, you can also use equipment (as above) or practice 'shadow' uchi komi on your own against an imaginary partner. One of my coaches used to have us do 'power' uchi komi where you introduce a third partner who holds the belt of the uke, and you actually try to execute the throw against their combined bodyweight (the third partner is 'rooted').

Col