Kihon no izen - Book

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by gtlaau, Mar 12, 2015.

1. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

I just finished reading a rather charming book called Kihon no Izen by Stephane Meunier(Canada), this is 2nd edition I believe with the 1st edition being called Kiso no Kaisen.

It has some great photo's in it, a lot I have seen before, many I have not, a few of Takamatsu Sensei as well.

I really enjoyed the book, it shares his story of Martial Arts. I could really relate to it.

-The ignorant bliss most of us live in when it comes to our abilities and our teachers abilities,knowledge and where it came from.
    -The awakening of doubt and not knowing why you feel it.
    -A chance meeting that changes your outlook on Martial Arts.
    -The hope for the future
    -The importance of practice!!!!
    -The burden and responsibility of being apart of a tradition Spanning 34 generations.
    -Brief explanations of how transmission works etc.

There are a couple of poems in it by Hatsumi Soke, and nearly all of the photo's were supplied by Soke as well.

Whether you are a beginner or someone who has been practicing for a few years, I think you would enjoy the book. It will remind you to make sure you have your priorities in place correctly when it comes to practice. If you are a self proclaimed Shihan Mega dan expert... I would recommend staying clear, your pride could not take the nut shot it serves up.

Cheers Graham.

2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I've read the first edition of the book. It's well put together but I found myself asking the same question I ponder when I read any book in English about Budo Taijutsu, "what value does this book really have?"

I was very much like the author. I trained for a chunk of time, thought I'd learned something, then met someone who made me realize that everything I knew was incorrect but also gave me a chance to start fresh and learn correctly. When I was in that position, however, I didn't feel compelled to write a book. Had I done so, it would have been on borrowed authority.

3. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

Well what value does it have?

For lack of a better term, for those of us who have seen the light, we dont need it. We dont need inspiration to practice correctly.

For those who have doubts about their training, I think it will inspire them to push their own limits and step out of their comfort zone and start questioning their own practice, teachers, attitude etc about the art. Surely that is a good thing?

Learning about other people's experience is also good.
    I never stated it was a academic book, just a man and his journey...

It is well put together as you say, is an easy read and enjoyable.

4. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

You have to factor in the opportunity cost as well, particularly for someone starting out a collection of books. The same money would get you a book with more benefit, like one of Draeger's surveys of budo, a solid translation of a classical work like Wilson's Heiho kadensho, or for more immediately practical purposes In The Dojo or Japanese for the Martial Arts*.

*For some reason as I typed that I remembered the Japanese TV clip about Arnaud from years ago and remembered the "shii aramiz dako" bow-in. Shudder.