Kicks in Pencak Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Archibald, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hi everyone...

I'm currently training in jujitsu, but am looking to start Pencak Silast (also taught at the same school) to add a better range of strikes to my list of moves. Would anyone mind telling me the range and style of strikes, especially kicks, are taught in this style?
    Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

"Silat" is an umbrella term that is used to describe a wide variety of systems from southeast Asia. "Pencak Silat" narrows it down a bit since this usually only refers to Silat systems from Indonesia - but there are still hundreds of systems of Silat in Indonesia. The range and style of strikes used will vary from system to system.

Do you know the specific system you're going to be training in? That might help me or someone else here answer your question.

Mike

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Aha, i see your point. Suci Hati is the style taught at my school. Hope that helps, and thanks.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Doesn't help me much, unfortunately. I'm not familiar with that system so couldn't say. In fact, I don't think I've heard of that system (but that wouldn't surprise me - given that I've only heard of a handful and that there are hundreds of Silat systems, that means there are hundreds of Silat systems I've never heard of). Maybe one of the other Silat folks on the board has heard of it, though.

I can say this, in the Silat I've trained in, they've mostly been close range. Not a lot of kicking and the kicks that are there are low line and usually used as an entry or as a sweep. There is heavy use of elbows and knees. Whether any of this applies to Suci Hati or not, I don't know.

Mike

5. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Suchi Hati means Holy Heart, all I know is that it's a Javanese style probably rooted in the tactics of the Menangkabau warriors.

So the kicks are probably fast and deceptive, thrown both from entering & retreating positions, aimed for targets below the waist and used to break or dislocate the legs, knees and ankles.

Hope I am correct and if so you will love this style for pure combat fighting!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

6. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Aha, thanks heaps Mike and ICT, that helps alot.
    I was lucky enough to see a demonstration of the style the other day, and you're right ICT, it was very deceptive. The kicks and elbows in particular just came out of nowhere, and i saw a very cool reverse roundhouse kick leg takedown.
    So yes, thanks very much for all your help, both of you.

Ciao for now.

7. krys

krys Valued Member

This also applies to the filipino silat system I study.... there are 12 basic stand up kicks and 24 basic kicks thrown from the ground. We also study high kicks in order to be able to counter them but they are seldom used in combat.

8. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Mental note....never pick a fight with krys and put him on the ground...
    Heh. 24 sounds like quite a variety. We have ground defenses in jujitsu, but so far the only kick form the ground we've done is the roundhouse to the groin, aswell as one trip, though im not sure if thats counted as a kick.
    Anyway, thanks heaps for the info

Ciao for now

9. krys

krys Valued Member

Woups... what I mean by kicks from the ground also include sweeps, scisors, striking from crouching positions or while rolling....
    I think the Menangkabau Harimaw silat systems have even more as their practitioners like to fight in this environment.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Oh right...hehe, gotchya...damn i love sweeps....they look so awesome...too bad i dont think they're taught in jujitsu...ah well...

And yes, i'm not sure whether this is what you were talking about, but one of our instructors said that originally where this art (Pencak Silat anyway) was use don very wet, marshy grounds, which is the reason for the low stances and ground work.

Anyhoo, thatnks for shedding some light on these arts. Much appreciated.

Ciao

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

BTW....striking while rolling?

Damn you guys are skilled. lol

12. krys

krys Valued Member

You don't have sweeps in Ju-Jitsu?

Yes much of the places in South East Asia are wet, marshy ground...
    Some styles of silat (there are over one thousand organisations familly systems not counted) prefer high positions....

It is difficult to describe a technique on the web but here is an example :imagine rolling towards-or to the side of your opponent one of your feet can come down vertically on him or strike-scisor him on the side...

13. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Like i said, i only think we dont have sweeps. To be honest im not sure, ive just never seen or heard of them. That said, ive only been doing it for a couple of months, and have never seen any higher grade classes, so i may just be ignorant, hehe.

Aha, but at least i know a bit about pencak silat.

And i think i get the rolling technique. Well the first one at least. Would you be able to clarify what a scissor strike is?
    Most of the rolling attack/defenses we do in jujitsu are locks. For example, one technique when strangled and tripped is to roll over, having grabbed hold of one of their arms, into a crouching position, then drop your body (and all its weight) onto their arm, making for a very hard straight arm lock.

ciao for now

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  14. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Oh dear, just realised something about sweeps.
    The ones i was talking about are the ones that sort of resemble a reverse roundhouse kick, only done on the ground and aimed at the feet/legs. Those im not sure aobut in jujitsu.
    But if you meant the 'throw' type sweeps (i have no idea what you call thme to tell them apart), where you kind of clinch, and then sweep away their legs...yes, there's countless in JJ, hehe