kicks in kenpo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by cbraves85, Jul 26, 2004.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

In American kenpo, how common are kicks. Are kicks commonly used over the waist and whattypes of kicks are used. ie. spinning kicks or basic snap, roundhouse, etc.

2. Judontknow

Judontknow New Member

My friend practices kenpo and when we spar he basically uses a side kick and a roundhouse. Nothing else. I don't think he even knows any spinning kicks.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Most Kenpo do not kick above the waist or the solar plexus. We believe that it is inefficient and leaves the kicker too open to counter attack. My style (Shaolin Kempo) does use kicks to the solar plexus. We will kick or knee to the head too, but only after bending the opponent over or knocking them off their feet.

Kicks I have learned so far: front ball, front blade, side thrust, side blade, roundhouse, crescent (inside and out), hook, axe, rear thrust, rear hook, spin back, spin hook, jump side, two-step jump kick (jumping front ball basically, I forget the technical name right now), and low heel (kick to the ankle or shin).

So, yeah, Kempo has kicks.

-David

4. mekosho

mekosho New Member

In our dojo, we are taught many kicks, side, roundhouse, spinning kicks etc. and we train in all of them, but we train with the idea in mind that what makes Kempo so effective is that few movements are wasted. What I mean is that although we know how to throw a spin kick, why take that extra second to do so and possibly give the opponent an opening when a simple side blade kick to the shin would serve the same purpose.

5. mekosho

mekosho New Member

We also learn many kicks and such of various other styles, even though we are not looking to use them, how better to understand how to defend against them than to know thier dynamics first hand. But then again, I don't study American Kempo. Sorry, did not read that part till after the fact.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

We have the same type philosophy regarding high kicks, spinning kicks. Although we will use them when appropriate, and only after bringing the head closer to our feet as KenpoDavid points out :cool:

7. OblivionsAvatar

OblivionsAvatar New Member

when you look at some of the punches in kenpo (its called 'lightning hands' is it not?), who needs kicks? :D :D :D

8. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I've worked with both John Sepulveda (8th dan under Ed Parker) and Jeff Speakman (6th dan) and both told me that American kenpo is roughly 40% kicks, but they are quite often used as a clearing technique rather than to bridge the gap like many other systems.

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

clearing? not sure what you mean... please tell more

our kicking strategy is to either deliver a very damaging blow to an open vital point, or, to disrupt balance to allow other destructive (mostly hand) attacks. Kicks early ina combo are the 2nd type, kicks late in a combo are the first type.

10. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

Those whose hand are otherwise occupied.

11. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

as an orange belt i have been taught back leg front kick, side kick, roundhouse, hook kick, back kick, crescent kick, and all the spinning variants of them.
    at our school it is suggested that u use a kick to move in on ur opponent, hit a few times, and then a kick to get back out. while in our katas kicking is not as used as hand strikes, when we spar, that is the majority of what people do. well except me, i suck at kicking so i just rush and throw a few strikes in a blit pattern

12. edges

edges Valued Member

Yes Kenpo kick.

However we usually kick low, our targets will be the legs and groin. As Kenpo is a close range system the kicks flow in conjuction with the already mentioned lightning hands, and nearly always below the opponents eyeline so to be invisible.

We train all the common kicks, front, side, roundhouse and back kick (both with and without the spin), and use them as the situation arrises.

13. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

Kenpo Kicks...

At Bryan Hawkins Kenpo Karate Studio in West Los Angeles we use many different kicks. It's important to point out that in American Kenpo the practitioner is encouraged not to kick above his own waist. This doesn't mean that we don't kick our opponent's in the upper body or head. It merely means we bring the target to the weapon when kicking an opponent in the head/upper body (i.e. bend him over or put him on the ground before kicking him in the head).

Here's a list of the most common Kick's practiced in our studio:
    1. Front Snap Kick
    2. Side Snap Kick
    3. Back Snap Kick
    4. Roundhouse Kick
    5. Front Thrust Kick
    6. Side Thrust Kick
    7. Back Thrust Kick
    8. Shovel Kick
    9. Front Scoop Kick
    10. Back Scoop Kick
    11. Spinning Back Kick
    12. Side Chicken Kick
    13. Front Chicken Kick (Rear then front leg)
    14. Front Chicken Kick (Front then rear leg)
    15. Skip Side Kick (or pull drag kick)
    16. Skip Ball Kick (or pull drag kick)
    17. Skip Roundhouse Kick (or pulldrag kick)
    18. Front thrust sweep kick

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Bill,

What is a Chicken Kick???

15. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Chicken Kick: Cat with front leg then do a front leg front ball snap kick, leaving knee in the air, then a quick jumping rear leg front ball snap kick. Move back to neutral bow after landing.

16. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

Chicken Kick

A double kick combination that starts with one leg kicking while the other supports the body's weight. When the supporting leg is employed, as the second kick, both legs become air-borne during it's execution. There are two basic methods of application: (1) kick first with the forward leg before employing the rear leg, or (2) commence with the rear leg before executing the forward leg.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

oh yeah, got it... we call that "stepping stool kick"

18. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

I'll keep that in mind David. It's a good description for how the Front Chicken Kicks are executed. I like it.

:)

19. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

I can basically ditto every one else. I do take American Kempo. There are quite a few kicks to the head that my instructor shows us as part of a combination. But he shows far more just punching combinations.