Kicking right?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Lucharaan, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

I got to see a push-kick today from a Taekwondo man. He moved his leg foward and his foot pushed in on the guy's stomach and the guy went backward a little bit.

I was wondering, if I use a pushing kick on a guy's knee, could I keep him from walking foward?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

In TKD we primarily use the push kick to push opponent off balance and away from you...not so much to damage as to just push away and gain space/time to possibly execute a more devasting combination.

Certainly you can target the knee with a kick (as in MT) however this will probably break the leg , so I advise you don't use it unless you have to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If you want to unbalance someone with a "push-kick", you may get better results aiming for the inner hip (from the front) or for the inner thigh just above the knee. These will give you a better chance of unbalancing him/her... just make sure you follow up with another strike or technqiue.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I personally use the push kick when sparring the "big guys" (actually I find I use this quite often ;) )that move in on me closing the distance...what I tend to do is to use this kick to effectively push them away into a far better kicking range for me, and strike as they are trying to regain their balance. I find striking the mid pelvis area is most effective as it is their center of gravity.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I love the push kick. Since I'm really tall, people try to get inside on me and as long as I keep them in front of me, I can keep them away. The push kick works great for me.

Oh and the push kick will keep the opponent from walking in on you, and it may keep them from walking at all if you do it to their knee.

6. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

If I was going to attack a leg target I'd preffer to use the side kick or turning kick. Push kick is also very good - especially when you hit with the heel and target the opponents hip flexor muscles.

7. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Wait but if you're tall, why would you keep people away from you? Wouldn't you want to get close and grab them? Tall people have long arms that can grab the person and just keep hitting them once thy get control.

8. Alexander

This be TKD man! Not Pro Wrestling!:D

Grappling is not allowed in TKD sparring rules.

9. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

NO GRAPPLING?! WHAAAAT

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yea, TKD is mostly kicks with punches being the last weapon. I want to keep them away so I can blast away with kicks.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Taekwondo sparring rules will vary by organization, school, and purpose of the lesson. Tournament rules tend to be very restrictive mainly to encourage certain styles of fighting (instead of a more open 'brawl'). However, in a school you may expreicne lots of different types of rules, including grappling. Depends on the school (check out my journal for details on how we do it).

Here's some good threads to read as well:
    Discussion on low kicks and TKD sparring
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27437
    Practical Self Defence and TKD
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10787
    WTF TKD sparring punches
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12061&highlight=sparring
    Level of Contact in Sparring
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/fo...age=2&pp=15&highlight=contact+medium+sparring
    TKD rules (one thread of many)
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19498&highlight=wtf+rules

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Since you are tall, you should definitely make it to your advantage. You can keep your opponents at a certain distance. If you don't have problems with your techniques and speed (something we can always work on), you can achieve a lot :)

13. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Since when?? :) WHy is everyone under the impression that TKD is mostly kicks?? Is that what Instructors are teaching nowadays??

14. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Not here. We focus on the lot. Would like to do a bit more on the grappling side of things though.

15. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Kicking the legs to halt progress...

Lucharaan,

A front thrust kick (push kick) delivered to the lead leg, just above the knee, can cause compression of the knee joint and halt forward movement. However, as said before should be followed with another attacking technique.

For combat purposes, I would offer a technique which can have devistating effects. As the attacker shifts his weight to the lead leg, quickly and powerfully utilize a side kick targeting the lower portion of the femur (large thigh bone). This can break the femur, hyper extend the knee joint, and/or create many other forms of trauma. Generally, this will create one of two desired effects. Either the attacker will fall backwards and away or will lean forward and into your fist!

Remeber, use your hands...if you are not being taught to use your hands, I would highly recommend seeking instruction elsewhere.

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

16. Alexander

Sadly in MOST WTF PLACES THAT I'VE BEEN TO this appears to be the case due to their tournament orientation (with the IMHO boring olympic rules :bang: ). Where I come from the only rules are no grappling in sparring.