kickboxing vs karate

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by phoenix88, Sep 1, 2003.

1. pknox

pknox Valued Member

You really can't compare a style as generic as "karate" with really anything, nevermind kickboxing. You have to be more specific as to the type of karate being done -- not necessarily a specific style, but at the very least broken down between limited contact vs. no contact vs. full contact. The main advantage a kickboxer (I mean a contact kickboxer -- not necessarily Muay Thai, but definitely not cardio-kickboxing or some other non-contact stuff) would have over a "generic" karateka would be twofold:

1. They are used to being hit
    2. They are normally in superior condition (not always, but normally)

If the karateka in question studies a full contact style (say kyokushin or one of its offshoots, like enshin or ashihara), then the comparison is not as clear cut, as those karate stylists train remarkably similar to how kickboxers do. However, if the karateka is a light contact point fighter, or a tag fighter, then they may not be used to being hit, which would prove to be a serious disadvantage in a combat situation.

2. atlien

atlien New Member

I'm sorry but I gotta say something about this. TKD was created for soldiers, that is definitely correct. What he left out was that those high kicks were designed to kick people off of horses. When is the last time you were attacked by somebody on a horse?

Now to answer the question, pknow is right, it really depends on what type of kickboxing and karate and the quality of schools and instructors you have access too.

If you can go to a good muay thai instructor then that is a real safe bet you are going to learn some good stuff. The good karate schools are sometimes few and far between but they exist too so there is always a chance that would be your best option.

3. atlien

atlien New Member

I almost forgot. You should try to train under Mr. Miyagi he is the only one capable of beating up the 17 lard ass truckers.

4. Hitman

Hitman New Member

It all depends on how you choose to break it down. Many people assume size or strength do NOT matter, and I believe this to a POINT. Because at some point, the fact they are covered in muscle upon muscle (with little muscles coming out of the muscles) will come into play as to who wins the supposed "fight" (or matchup) So it really becomes individualized... "to each his own" as they say. Personally I am quite lean and very flexible (handy for resisting submissions, my instructor has threatened many a time to duct-tape all my limbs and joints so that I bend like a normal person :D) which gives me my own strengths and weaknesses (I've also been boxing for a good deal of years, not very effective way to bludgeon someone unconcious with your fists, but it is quite good for staying/getting-into shape, not to mention mad reflexes and speed) So generally (at least I'd assume) a Kickboxer/Boxer/Muy Thai practitioner would have some muscle on him (assuming again I am) and speed. Now I've seen many a watered down "for self defense only" styles of karate. Not being a particular fan of the "Yes Master" and "No Master" schools or clubs, I've generally avoided them (the one I attend for Jiu Jitsu and Combat Sambo is run by a Military officer at the Armory, so its quite un-traditional) So I wouldn't be quite familiar as to the speed and intensity at which they "go at it" with their sparring. As someone pointed out, a kickboxer SHOULD (in theory) be used to taking full contact blows, and if the Karate practitioner is used to practicing his style in a controlled and "watered down" (in my opinion, not intending to offend anyone who participates in the particular style) enviroment... I could only hope he/she has good medical insurance (the first punch generally brings realization as to the speed and amount of contact that the fight is going to have, so both parties better step up or run) Anyway, as many have no doubt, stumbled across this forum, I just thought I might put in my two cents.

5. alcapone

alcapone New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by alcapone
    Remember, karate TKD etc were created for soldiers, they teach leathal methods of unarmed combat, every strike should kill, including blocking techniques.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but I gotta say something about this. TKD was created for soldiers, that is definitely correct. What he left out was that those high kicks were designed to kick people off of horses. When is the last time you were attacked by somebody on a horse?

atlien- Now you've asked, the other day actually, I was participating in a bit of traditional English football hooliganism when a police man on a horse came at me, I did a flying side kick, knocked him off his horse and got my mate "Fat As Fu** Fred" to sit on his face!! ;o)

No, really now, do you really think all TKD is is high kicks....come on, all the kicks can be done high, but they can also be done at head height, neck height, chest height very effectively. If you can kick the clouds, you can certainly sick someone's head with ease...follow the logic??

6. ncassidy

ncassidy New Member

Muay Thai :p

7. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

- I teach muay thai to my students because it is one of the simplist ways to teach them how to use their hips for power. The contact gets the point across and the feeling far faster than doing things in the air. I feel you can become a good fighter in a far shorter period of time with kickboxing. For a more advanced student though, who wants to take himself to the next level, I feel that muay thai's greatest strength can be it's greatest drawback There is a limit to how good you can become just off of conditioning and hard work.
    -I do believe that kickboxing is a superior sport (as far as fighting effectiveness) to the children's art within karate (which is what the majority of people are more familiar with). IMO kickboxing is the lowest form of the combat system. When you learn how to shut down the bodies motor units, it evolves to a whole other level. .

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Although I see what you are saying here Kwang and agree with the basic sentiments of what you are saying.

I feel that it's necessary to point out, that most people who are learning 'Kickboxing' and/ or Muay Thai are not learning it to any depth or degree.

Ie they are learning K-1 style Kickboxing. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that's not Muay Thai, that's distilled 'kickboxing'.

I don't know how much Muay Thai you are teaching and to what degree you expose your students to it, but, I'm sure that you well know that there is alot more to Muay Thai than Rdhouse variations/ push kick/ some elbows, a bit of kneeing and some punches.

And certainly alot more to it than conditioning and hardwork and that very much represents the sporting side of the art and not the Martial aspect (Muay boran), which is a much more indepth and developed thing than the limited aspect of Ring Rules Muay Thai would seem to suggest.

Saying this, I agree with your point(s) about 'Kickboxing' being the lowest form of the combat system-or rather Primary aspect?

The Thai's and Burmese tend to feel the same way, hence why the Thai system Ling Lom is seen as being a higher achievement than Muay Thai and the Burmese system Bando is seen as being a higher achievement than Burmese Boxing (Bama Lethwei-much like Muay Thai).

Just a quick couple of questions Kwang.

Using a basic Muay Thai 'base' to what you are teaching, what and where do you go from there in your syllabus and how do you integrate the various elements together to make a conclusive whole?

9. booj

booj New Member

Most kickboxing styles have originated from Karate anyway, so surely it depends on how well the creator of the new style has adapted the techniques to suit...

I practised a style of kickboxing which was actually freestyle karate (wots the difference?) but a range of traditional techniques were in the syllabus. Its not actually the label given to the style, as many styles are not either one or the other.

10. Yan

Yan New Member

I have never studied karate and so cannot comment. All I know is kickboxing's done the job for me and no mistake. I think two trained fighters in any martial art against any other martial art could go both ways, but I only fight against untrained people for real (if he knows karate - I run)

Also I don't think karate was invented for soldiers. I think it may have been developed over several centuries by oriental monks who were banned weaopns (either by law or religion) and had to defend themselves against bandits with their hands. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the ancient fighting style of karate was not developed in the unarmed combat unit at the Pentagon for use in Iraq.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2003
  11. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

whatever floats yer boat

whatever trips your trigger

you get the pic!

KFG

12. 1druid1

1druid1 New Member

Hi All

I study the following:-

Goju-Ryu Karate
    Chinese Kickboxing
    Lau Gar Kung - Fu

As I study both Karate and kickboxing, I have seen good fighters from both styles, what I have noticed is the Kickboxers have greater speed and versatility, whereas the Karate-ka have more power, strength. Who is best, I am afraid to say, I cant answer that one, as I have seen both sides win pretty convicingly in mixed MMA competitons both for points and full contact. Its not the style but the individual and how he / she uses there training, so any Martial artist neglecting what style they choose to train in can win these fights, it all comes down to the person and not the style.

Regards

Djbell

13. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Well, what kickboxers can do, they do well. There style is very limited, though. Karate has throws, armbars, wristlocks, and takedowns.

14. wara2y

wara2y New Member

My openion

Well i did karate for 10 years and now doing kickboxing
    I can tell u this..as long as there is distance karate is gonna win as long as its contact and no distance karate fighter is screwed we dont have that elbows or hooks..but also really depends on karate school some schools have takedowns and throws some dont
    Karate gives u better precision and understanding of opponent...but kickboxing gives u endurance

15. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

Necroing thread that's almost 9 years old - is that a new record?

Oh, and welcome to MAP

16. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

17. wara2y

wara2y New Member

Why should i add title in every msg!!

@Waldgeist didnt know its 9 years old!!! just was watching videos of karate Vs kickboxing and google give me the link to the forum
    But thx man :)

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I think if it comes to full contact, or equal skill (let's say Black Belts of both arts), the Kickboxer (and when I say Kickboxer I'm talking strictly western style, not Muay Thai) will come out on top. Better fitness, better conditioning, faster striking and delivery, technique more suited to a full contact bout. The training in Kickboxing is catered to empthasis on these attributes.

Range finding won't really make any difference to either art. Kickboxing is more of a distance art than a close range art so the problem for both would be closing the gap, which I think Kickboxing would have the edge on as there alot of focus on working with angles and cutting in to close range.

In my opinion.

19. wara2y

wara2y New Member

Karate

Like i said before, i used to play karate for long time and i have black belt in it. Kick boxing im just new at it
    But whenever we have training match with kind of well trained kickboxers they have huge problems when im keeping long distance, like boxing kickboxing uses punches and elbows that are based on short distance, while karate puches are more staright and based on precision and hitting from long distance kickboxing have really limited kicks compared to karate.
    But when it comes to full contact, i can tell u im having huge problems trying to blocke elbows and hooks all what im trying to do is throw up and push to give me distance again

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You are confusing Kickboxing with Muay Thai. The two styles are different.