Kickboxing questions

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by d0ugbug, Jul 8, 2009.

1. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

1. So who/what influenced you to start kickboxing?

2. Anyone you admire in the world of kickboxing?

3. UK only influences or any "all time greats" you train or have had the pleasure of training with.

4. What do you expect from Kickboxing

5. Where do you see Kickboxing going in the next 5 years

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. slacker

slacker Valued Member

shouldn't who be who/what?

3. d0ugbug

agreed and changed

4. UNarmed

UNarmed Valued Member

I only have a answer for Q4, "What do you expect from Kickboxing".I train to be the best i can be. I look at martial arts as a way to conquer my own will.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I started because I wanted to hit people and my judo wouldn't let me. Later on in life I started my son in the sport to get him ready for high school.

This could turn out to be like an Oscar's speech.

Number 1 is Russ Williams. Then Ronnie Green, Eugene Valeria, Gordon Minors and Jamie Ricketts

See above (Although I haven't trained with all of them watching them train is a buzz as they all belong(ed) to the gym(bar Ronnie))
    Fitness, power, timing and the ability to defend yourself
    Trundling along like it always does. It's not as trendy anymore but you still get plenty of people wanting to fight in the sport. It's surprising how many people train Thai and fight kickboxing. Russ wants another fighter to take to the K1 in Japan, I want to be there.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Watching Jean-Claude Van Damme kick people in the face, in "Kickboxer".

Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis, Benny Urquidez, Don Wilson, Denis Alexio, Jean-Yves Theriault and Ramon Dekker.

Benny Urquidez.

Pretty kicks and pretty girls.

I would like to see it return to the Golden Age of the 70s - minimum 8 kicks per round quota, no leg kicks (it's kickboxing, not Muay Thai), more effort from fighters to try more flashy techniques. I'd like to see American-rules kickboxing replace Taekwondo at the Olympics.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  7. Moi

Boooooooo!

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

9. Moi

You're trying to turn kickboxing into what good TKD should be:mad:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just a traditionalist mate. Kickboxing (that originated in America through the PKA - Bill Wallace & co) didn't have leg kicks to start with!

11. Moi

I can remember the 6 kicks a round rule myself.

12. d0ugbug

There is still plenty of full contact kickboxing around without the low kick rule, however I do think it is a better progression of the sport if you ask me

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

For self-defence, sure. But as a spectator sport, I disagree. As soon as people pay to watch you fight, you stop being a "fighter" and become an "entertainer". People don't pay to watch you win - they pay to watch you do stuff they can't do themselves. Anybody can kick another guy in the leg. *Yawn* But kicking another guy in the head? Now there you have the real spectacle!

Just my opinion.

14. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Well I do MuayThai, not kickboxing :)

1) I've always been interested, but figured I never would. Just impetus as I grew up. Then i met an instructor and he bullied, badgered and hounded me until i gave in. one of the best decisions I ever made and one of my few regrets in life is not starting sooner

2) Anyone who dedicates themselves at some firm level. not necessarily to fight for $$$, but to do it for your personal pride, health & fitness.

3) Nope :(

4) I like Martial Dad's answer: "Fitness, power, timing and the ability to defend yourself"

5) Staying true, staying healthy, staying strong, staying safe.

15. Moi

QFT It's real, so very real

16. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

1. So who/what influenced you to start kickboxing?
    i've been interested in martial arts for a long time, i tried judo as a young child but got bored easily now im older i decided i wanted to learn a martial art again ive looked into other martial arts but i liked kickboxing for its practicality and the similarities with muay thai also they teach it in my local area!

2. Anyone you admire in the world of kickboxing?
    i cant really say i admire any one because i haven't seen enough professional stuff to make that decision but if i had to choose i'd say russel williams because of what he's taught me so far and michael kuhr because ive seen some footage on youtube and he's a 5 time world champ!

3. UK only influences or any "all time greats" you train or have had the pleasure of training with.
    russell williams - i attend his classes at the moment around 3 times a week, its hard but that just makes it worth doin ha and he helps you out if you need it!

4. What do you expect from Kickboxing
    to improve my confidence, my attitude, physical strength and appearance, last but not least i want to improve in my fighting skill and my mental focus.

5. Where do you see Kickboxing going in the next 5 years
    hopefully it gets bigger but i couldn't really say.