Kickboxing Issues

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So lately I've been finding it hard to attend kickboxing/MT classes. I just can't fins the motivation for it. It's not that I haven't got the motivation for MA, I attend BJJ very regularly.

I just feel that kickboxing for me, is a good experience when I'm there, but I just can't bring myself to go, any ideas to get out of the mindset?

2. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

FWIW MT never did anything for me, though I liked/like Jun Fan kickboxing.

In similar situations I find it useful to really break down the whole process. What's blocking my motivation? What am I enjoying about the experience? What am I not enjoying that's stopping the enthusiasm building? How do I feel when I'm there? How do I feel straight afterwards? That sort of thing.

Meditation is a very useful tool for breaking stuff like that down, though YMMV, dude.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You could try taking a complete break from MT for a certain period of time. Then restart classes once you have your motivation back.

4. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Good advice. I might add that people are quick to point out the physical dangers of overtraining, but there are psychomentalogical factors too. Booooooooooredom, f'r'instance.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i found that with MT and Grappling and lifting/training everyday was making me too unmotivated so i stopped training everything for a while and when i came back i decided to stick to one thing - grappling. you're still progressing, stick with a few things to begin with and build it up.
    also if you're progressing faster at one thing and not another that can be frustrating and make you demotivated.

i mean, you've got a job and you want to train in everything everyday. you'll just zap yourself

6. Mangosteen

yeah pretty much what SangChi said. over training.

its one of the reasons i trained irregularly like i told you.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

hmm yeah like others have said taking a few days off can really boost your motivation.

Maybe you just have alot going in life. I know i do, which is why im finding it hard to train. first of all coursework, alevels, and exams. Feeling ill, no sparring for ages! Nothing to actually hit when practicing.

So sometimes it can be quite hard to get the motivation. But usually in that case i just watch a few videos and i gain it and im like hell yeah what was i even thinking of then...

But then other days im so pumped up i dont need videos, i just want to train all day.

It really depends on how life is going for me, especially whether or not i have a little worry lingering in the back of my mind (i should really revise that maths stuff!!! but i never get time!!! other homeworks get in the way :'( )

so yeah...

Also dont do something that makes you feel unmotivated. If BJJ is motivating you, do that, you will progress so much further in something you want to do, than something you dont feel like doing.

So maybe a break from doing MT and focusing on BJJ is a good idea.

Try that :)

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you were training BJJ, weights and Muay Thai every day then it's no wonder. Even fighters don't train on that type of a schedule. And since you're not a fighter and presumably need some type of life as well... time to wise up and cut back on the silly training schedule. It's no wonder you're not motivated to train... if you are training that much and not fighting... there is really no point.

It's recreational for you... meaning it's meant to be fun. So lighten up go once or twice a week... rest when you need. Get more sleep in, put down the video games controller more often and get out and see real people.... it will do wonders for your motivation to train.

9. Mangosteen

yeh...
    its hard cos you want to do it all but finding the energy gets hard after a while.

10. Pretty In Pink

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I think there's a couple of things you guys have mentioned that I am doing. Also, every time I go I spar, we don't have to, at the end f the lesson you can go over technique or spar. I think it's time I stopped sparring for a while. :/

11. Pretty In Pink

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I think there's a couple of things you guys have mentioned that I am doing. Also, every time I go I spar, we don't have to, at the end f the lesson you can go over technique or spar. I think it's time I stopped sparring for a while. :/

12. Pretty In Pink

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I get the same hing every so often no matter what I'm doing Chadderz. I just push through and go anyway. 99% of the time even if I'm not motivated my head's still in it and I can learn.

As much as I like martial arts at some point it stopped being just fun and became work. I see it like a second job in a way.

How long's the lack of motivation been going on?

14. Pretty In Pink

It's going okay, I'm going tonight. :)

15. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

I think your idea of skipping sparring and working technique is a good one.

Also, so jealous you train where you do!

16. Pretty In Pink

I get that a lot, lmao xD

I'm also getting used to this new job, I'm only twenty, and this is the first job where work has been really consistent. (Last job I had was a paintball marshall, before that labouring at 16).

17. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Ha! I have a cunning plan where your Black Belt Academy is concerned, but the start of the depths of winter is not the time to enact it!

GONG SAU!

(((Only kidding!!)))

Settling into a new job is enormously draining, mentally and physically. You can listen to your body, but sometimes the mental stuff just sort of KOs you from behind and leaves you sprawling for a while.

Maybe the sparring is just one more thing your mind doesn't want to have to deal with. Go to class. Drill technique. Have a montage! Then when you return to fighting you will be t3h d34dl13r than the lovechild of Bujinkan and Wing Chun. BUJINCHUN!

:yeleyes::woo::yeleyes:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  18. Pretty In Pink

Haha, reveal yo' plans foo'!

Yeah, I am pretty drained. I'm working out just now, so I'm gonna get back to it xD

19. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Not much, wife went to Uni and worked through in Edinburgh for years, and knows the place like the back of her hand. We go through pretty often for visits. She reckons the Saturday morning Kali/CSW class is well doable, with her being taxi, but she wants to wait for the clocks to change/the weather to turn back spring-like.

I reckon it'll be worth it just to train with you guys, even if it's only once a week.

20. Pretty In Pink

That's actually an MMA class! And you have to be quite advanced in the curriculum. Although there is going to be a new gi class on Saturdays starting soon :D