kickboxing in UK

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by ap Oweyn, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So this question came up on the MMA forum regarding Mike Bisping's kickboxing background. Someone mentioned that Bisping didn't have a strong muay thai record, but was more accomplished in kickboxing.

Leading me to wonder this: What is there in terms of kickboxing in the UK? This is going to sound ignorant, I realize. But my sense was that kickboxing in Britain essentially was muay thai. Or perhaps savate or the occassional sanshou. I don't know. But I wasn't thinking of a British equivalent to "American kickboxing." Your Jean Yves Theriault or "Superfoot" Wallace.

So is there a more general "kickboxing" format in the UK?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, 10-20 years ago "Full Contact" was much more prevalent than Muay Thai in the UK. Many of those clubs have now morphed into K1 and/or Muay Thai clubs, but there's still a fair few around.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. That's interesting. Thanks!

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Kickboxing in the UK seems to me to often be the reserve of the "semi-contact" lot.
    It's often used as a catch all term by people that run "black belt academies". Not bad in and of itself but it's just not something I'd seek out.
    It's too nebulous to be meaningful.
    I think kickboxing didn't quite get underway in the UK before Thai/semi-contact became more popular so it got left behind in popularity.
    It's not as easy as semi-contact, not as complete as Thai so it sits in a weird middle ground.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That doesn't sound completely dissimilar from "American kickboxing." Though I think American kickboxing has a fairly strong history, thanks to full-contact karate's legacy and the likes of Benny the Jet, Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Jean Yves-Theriault, and countless others that (sadly) I could spout off the top of my head.