Kickboxing-help?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Achemist_pt, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Achemist_pt

Achemist_pt New Member

well,today I had my first kickboxing class,and I really enjoied it,quite difrente from the things I was used too,like karate.but since I will only train once a week in the gym,can someone give me a help on the way I could pratice during the rest of the week?

2. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

yeah bro the best way is to get a heavy bag so you can practice your power speed and precision on that, if you want to only do hands you could get a reflex bag, and of course there is shadow boxing and one of my faves is practicing in front of a mirror so you can see what your doing right or wrong thats just a few things hope that helps

3. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

yeah bro the best way is to get a heavy bag so you can practice your power speed and precision on that, if you want to only do hands you could get a reflex bag, and of course there is shadow boxing and one of my faves is practicing in front of a mirror so you can see what your doing right or wrong thats just a few things hope that helps

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

One thing I find with Kickboxing and Muay Thai, especially when you first start out, is that fitness is very important. So if you're not working out on a bag or pads, or sparring, you should be doing some running, skipping, etc when you have the spare time to do so. Push ups and sit ups also.

Also you can try getting a rope and tying it from post to post, about two to three metres in length at shoulder height and practice ducking and weaving under it in southpaw stances, using your legs to drop, not your back, your shoulder should touch the rope when you come back up, to build up strength in your legs. This will have benefits later when you start learning to weave and throw strikes. We normally do this in the gym about three times at three minute rounds, with a 30 second rest between rounds.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Stretch and stretch and stretch. Def makes life easier. Plus, if like me you carry a few pounds, try to loose them. The less you have to carry the better. Oh and all of the above too.

6. cjsmap

cjsmap New Member

Hey Achemist_PT - in between classes as noted already fitness is a big one and generally keeping healthy.

Over and above that you have work with equipment - but that can cost money.

Without spending a penny you have shadow boxing. If you are doing this ensure you dont damage your joints by throwing techniques to far e.g. extending your arm to far on a jab / cross etc.

More specifically you can work on:
    Footwork (e.g. forward/back/left/right/circle/angle off etc)
    Body movement (e.g. bob and weave, slipping etc)
    Defence(e.g. imagine covering a hook, slipping, covering your body from shots, leg covers, intercepting shots etc)
    Attack - all the stuff
    Visualisation - in all of the abov it is important to actually imagine you are doing the technique with a partner etc - this is often overlooked.
    Get advice from your coach/training partners - be aware of your bad techniques and weaknesses (we all have them) and address them
    All together - put all of the above and anything else relevant into your shadow boxing and enjoy your training!

7. mjw

mjw Valued Member

shadow boxing and practice techniques over and over and over again