Kickboxer Reboot (2015)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Unreal Combat, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

A Kickboxer reboot is in the works starring Alain Moussi, Dave Bautista, Jean Claude Van Damme, Gina Carano, George St Pierre and Sarah Malakul Lane.

Alain Moussi will feature as Kurt Sloane, with Dave Bautista (best known for wrestling in the WWE and for his role as Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy) slated to play the role of Tong Po. Jean Claude Van Damme will be playing the trainer, while Gina Carano plays the part of a fight promoter. Sarah Malakul Lane will play the love interest.

The original Kickboxer was an 80's classic. I'm not so sure about this reboot though. What do you guys think? Has it got potential or do you think it's going straight to the bargain bin?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm in. All I know of Alain Moussi was a brief appearance in "Enter the Dojo." But I like Dave Bautista a lot. I paid to see the original in the movie theater a horrifying number of times. I'll definitely check out a remake. On video. Even if I could get my wife to go along with it, I likely wouldn't pay today's movie theater prices for this one. Even though *brace yourself* I anticipate that I'll prefer the remake to the original.

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I will watch it, but think I'll wait for the DVD on this one. If not nostalgic, it will at least be amusing on some level.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nah. This is one remake too far. Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, Total Recall and Robocop were all remakes that sucked ass compared the originals. Hollywood just can't make remakes of any quality. Kinda offended they would even touch Kickboxer. It's a classic.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As long as they match the dance scene move for move I will watch it

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm not familiar with Alain Moussi (although we must be related, judging by his name), but I'm a little sceptical of the trend for casting MMA fighters in action movies. Gina Carano was awful in Haywire and Bautista is massive but can he "kickbox" Van Damme style?

The only thing that makes me think it might work is that Georges St Pierre was very good as Batroc the Leaper in Captain America 2 - he really pulled off the action scenes with a lot of skill.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yes!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8XKeN0zk4"]Kickboxer Jean Claude Van Damme Dance [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

They're remaking Bloodsport and Timecop, too.

:bang:

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dave Bautista has been training in kali and other things. He's more agile than he's got any right to be at that size. I'm interested to see what he can do.

Some of the recent crop of MMA guys have been dreadful in movies certainly. But some of them do alright. Bas Rutten can hold his own on set, for instance. Stefan Bonnar, on the other hand, even I couldn't sit through that one.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Van Damme's dancing is far better than his action film skills imo. He was also in Breakin', sadly only in the background, which is a shame as he has some sweet moves. Most of my own dance moves have been copied off the Muscles from Brussels.

I really think he needs to quit the action film thing and make some musicals or something.

There's also some awesome old school capoe...I mean breakdancing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKMDJqcnUJ8"]Breakdance The Movie - YouTube[/ame]

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The film JCVD is actually amazing, showing Van Dammes acting skills. Shame he didn't go with hat instead.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

In the dance scene from Kickboxer...why did he knock the drinks off the table and put his head down? Was he looking to snort?

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

These films appeal to another generation. 30 years since the last?!

14. Quest Training

Quest Training New Member

Very excited to watch this one! Alain is an amazing talent (mostly known for his stunt work). Can't wait to see him in a featured roll! He came by the office several times and is a very down to earth, genuine entrepreneurial guy! Definitely check it out!

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I loved that one myself

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

THIS MY GOD THIIIISS

is the reason the remake will not be able to touch the pure atmosphee of thailand, nor the cool cat hustler heroin dealer (cut from final movie for some reason, they changed it to gun runner). Nor will they have a cutie like Mylee nor will they have a strip club scene

and even if they did , I want to see Van Damme in more than one action scene.

God bless XIAN

you will die if you start at 0:55

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZ_jC9gWaI"]OPPA VAN DAMME STYLE - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Fun facts. There's not a single named character played by a Thai actor in that movie. There's not a single named character with a Thai name in that movie. (Tong Po?!) And nobody's actually performing muay thai in that movie.

I got my 80s groove on as much as the next guy when it came out, but it's about as Thai as I am.

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I actually liked the remake of Total Recall. My beef with it was they removed the question from the whole thing right off the bat. The original you never knew.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

You'd really have to hope there is some actual Muay Thai in the film, or at the very least, some sign that the actors have actually sparred before.

20. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Looks like Van Damme has been brushing up on the routine...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztdMwYrF4k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztdMwYrF4k[/ame]

Travess