Kick Names in Korean

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by AirNick, Feb 25, 2006.

1. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Before I start, yes I know I should already know this!

OK, can some of you guys help me out. I was looking at the 1st and 2nd dan syllabus in book 3 and noticed a load of kicks in Korean that I don't know the translations for? I think I know a few so can you fill in the blanks:

Riul Cha Ki: Roundhouse (low), Hook (middle), Roundhouse (high)?
    Neun Cha Ki:
    Wohl Jahng Cha Ki: Off the wall kick
    Ssang Bahl Cha Ki: Jump double front kick
    Yahng Bahl Cha Ki Jump split front kick
    Yuhn Sohk Cha Ki:
    Jahng Hae Mool Cha Ki:
    Sahm Bahng Cho Cha Ki: Front kick (left) into jump back kick (right) and punch?
    Sahm Joong Cha Ki:
    Di Uh Ee Joong Cha Ki: Jump double ?????

Also, what is Teuk Soo Johk Sool?

Cheers

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I have this stuff written down somewhere. Riul and Neun cha ki are any kick combo that follows the shape of the first korean letter. Which I can't write here. Korean r/l looks like the example you gave for Riul Cha Ki.

3. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Riul Cha Ki: Jump dbl hook kick one to each side
    Neun Cha Ki: aerial front then side kick
    Wohl Jahng Cha Ki: Rebound kick
    Ssang Bahl Cha Ki: Jump double front kick
    Yahng Bahl Cha Ki Jump split front kick
    Yuhn Sohk Cha Ki: combination kicking (sequential kicking)
    Jahng Hae Mool Cha Ki: obstacle kicking(over things)
    Sahm Bahng Cho Cha Ki: i think this is scissor kick with a front kick at the end...

4. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

? = ruil

? = Neun

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I was in kind of rush this morning. My understanding is that Riul Cha Ki is any combo of kicks that makes the shape of the Korean letter for R/L. AirNick's example fits, Choi's seems to me to be missing a piece of the shape. To see the shape from AirNick's example you just look from the front at someone kicking you.

Neun Cha Ki is any kick combo with the shape of the Korean letter for N. Choi's example fits, looking from the top.

Jahng Hae Mool & Yuhn Sohk Cha Ki: This was explained to me as jumping over an obsticle and then continuing with a kick. Maybe something like a jumping forward roll followed by a jump front kick.

Sahm Joong Cha Ki: Three kicks all in the air with different targets. Do not land in between kicks. Examples are Yang Bahl + Ssang Bahl, and Scissors + side(or front).

Teuk Soo Johk Sool: Special kicks, e.g. helicopter jump spin.

Sahm Bahng Cho Cha Ki: Three directional kick, e.g. Yang Bahl, land, then jump spin.

Di Uh Ee Joong Cha Ki: I think this means jump with both feet at same time for the kick.

as opposed to

Ee Dahn Cha Ki: Which I think is like the blue belt form jump front kick. Of course you can do all the basic kicks this way.

I am being a little hesitant because my notes are not that good. My instructors have never used these names with me. They always just say do this.

6. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Interesting stuff, cheers guys.

What does 'joong' actually mean then? Is it 'straight' as in Jung Guhm Hyung? Wonder if 'Di Uh Ee Joong Cha Ki' is two footed flying side kick maybe? It doesn't have 'yup' in it though.

Choi, what kick do you mean by 'aerial front then side kick'?

What do you guys call the scissor kick? I asked Master Harmon once and he said it was Kye Cha Gi (spelling wrong obv.). He said that kye means scissors.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think

Di Uh Ee Joong Ahp Cha Ki = Jump front kick with back leg.
    Di Uh Ee Joong Pal Duen Cha Ki = Jump round house with back leg.
    etc...

Ee Dahn Ahp Cha Ki = Joong Geup Hyung's jump front kick
    Ee Dahn Ahn Tari Cha Ki = Kyuk Pa Hyung's jump inside kick.
    etc...

Try dictionary.com. They have a translate service there. I typed in scissors and it came out with 가위. I'm not so good at romanizing korean, but that is "kye". I can't enter korean letters into the translator so I couldn't translate joong. This is just a guess, but I think joong means in the middle. In this case, implying while in the air. I have a Korean to english dictionary, but it never really helps in translating martial arts terms. Sometimes I get close though, and this seems to make sense.

8. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

But doesn't 'Ee' mean 'two' or 'second'?

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Maybe in this case it means jump with both feet at the same time? My notes just said standard back leg jump kicks.

10. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Oh right yeah. That makes sense. Thanks

11. ember

ember Valued Member

"joong" is middle

"jung" is straight

12. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Any three combination kicks. Tournament requires the kicks to be in air, but I'm not sure if that is the true defintion of the kick. Sence their isn't Diya(jump) or Ee dan(flying) in front of it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006