Ki, Sex, Endorphins... A Link?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Ok, firstly, this is a serious thread. I'm not making a mockery of Ki or anything like that, so I don't expect 13 year old answers. We have a lot of smart people here and I'd love to read what that think.

Anyhoo, I have not, sadly, involved myself much with meditation, controlling my ki and so forth. But after reading up on it a lot I tend to notice a pattern in most people's written experience of 'feeling' their ki.
    More often than not the person brings up the sensation of a warm fuzzy tingle that travels through their body (generaly originating from the stomach). Fair enough, makes sense to me. After reading more into the "effects" meditation has on the human body and mind it got me wondering if there was a link between sex (well mainly orgasms) and your Ki.

Anyone who has had sex, or at least had an orgasm will know that it's a damn good feeling, that spread over your whole body. Your body is at peace, your mind is at peace etc etc. See where I'm going with this? The good feeling that comes with sex (no that's not a pun) has been scientificaly related to the release of Endorphins (proven that the body may produce up to 200% more endorphins during sex).

Now I don't know about you, but when I've just finished having sex I feel pretty much exactly the way people have described themselves during meditation. Is this a co-incidence or can we assume that there is a connection between your ki, having an orgasm and the release of endorphins?

Discuss :)

*sorry for the spelling*

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Apparantly, and I'm sure many women appreciate this, the male brain stops working during an orgasm. It just switches off, hence the feeling of inner peace. I can't remember where I read that though so don't take it as gospel.

3. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

if meditation resulted in orgasmic feelings.. it would be more popular and easier to stick with!

seriously speaking, ther is a long history of maintaining "your essence" in chinese medicine... not "releaseing your male Yang energy through emission" you'll find that monk (suppossedly) are to not come more than once a year.. whole treatises have been written on sex without ejacuatling

so as far as your perceptions go.. you might be surprised that you are not far from the mark... however, it is channelling this energy in a non-sexual way by "building-it-up" that results in increased chi energy in the male (lucky females with thier recptive parts can take in all the extra energy they want through sex, lol).

now, meditations concentration on chi (or ki in japan) is designed to increase and channel that power.. emitting it runs contrary to the traditional wisdom on the topic... no matter how you feel afterwards (you feel relaxed and have an increased endorphins after a 10k too)... there is a conection, but... sex =/= meditation

personally, I'd recommend sex and relax about the whole thing (lots of other heathly benefits including increased lifespan).. i would not advise getting too caught up in all that MA "energy" crap...

4. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Good question.At work at moment so cannot compare...definatly requires further research.Get back to you soon.

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Great post kmguy8.
    whole treatises have been written on sex without ejacuatling

That's one art form I must learn. Sooooo much easier on the clean up...or lack of.

i would not advise getting too caught up in all that MA "energy" crap...

Oh it's not that I'm getting caught up in the what iffs but here's one:
    I wonder if it's "easier" to meditate after having sex/having an orgasm.

My girlfriend is away for 2 weeks for work so I go no way to test it for ages :(

the male brain stops working during an orgasm. It just switches off, hence the feeling of inner peace.

Nope. Sorry to cut ye off, but that can't possibly be true.

6. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

As far as I know, you're supposed to abstain from sex when you do qigong because it could be damaging (I honestly can't say I've ever been damaged but I've also never abstained, so I can't say for sure). In higher levels of qigong, the sex organs do play an important role. I'm sure somebody else could give you a more detailed explanation of the relationship.

7. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

There is a link, in many ways. When your body absorbs Chi it can’t store much Chi in its original form so it needs to converts it into a grosser or more compact form of energy called jing.
    If you think of how steam condenses into water this will give you a fair analogy.
    Increasing the amount of Chi you absorb will result in increased jing production.
    This fluid jing is thought to be released during orgasm. Many internal training techniques were developed in ancient times to prevent this release of jing. So basically during sex you release jing and chi. The connection between sex and internal energy has been known for a long time and many techniques for increasing jing were developed, some quite extreme like hanging weights from your nads to increase jing :eek: and others involved sexual practices.
    As for orgasm itself it is the result of a build up of chi (tension) and sudden release of tension to a state of non tension or rest.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

during sex is the only time my brain is actually switched on :eek:

9. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Mine shuts down as soon as I get a semi.

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

hehehehehe :D

my whole body shuts down, well most of it....*wink wink* hehe!!

11. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Let's keep this adult in nature please. If you must be childish, I'll lock it up.

12. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Doing qigong is about concentrating, circulating qi, blood, opening channels and meridians, pulling it in, pushing it through the body, etc. Doing qigong does not deplete qi; it is an enhancing exercise.
    For men, having an orgasm releases a product created by the body. It is the expulsion of a product that the body must expend energy and resources to manufacture. Having an orgasm is a qi depleting activity.
    For women, having an orgasm is much less depleting, but is to some degree.

ON THE EFFECTS OF ORGASM
    Among the top of the list of important functions of the human body, is producing semen. Having a supply of semen ample enough to impregnate is of primary concern. After you have an orgasm, your body expends a significant amount of energy to create and store a new reserve of semen. This takes energy and time to do. In oru younger years, this is of no real consequence, due to the vitality that we foster in youth. However, as we age, having orgasms can become more taxing.

The nei jing, which is the classical authority on Chinese Medicine, goes so far as to state general guidelines defining about how often one should have an orgasm, given broad age categories. For a young adult, the nei jing states something like about once every day or 2 is not too much.

Both Chinese and biomedicine of today, state from studies, research, etc that it is healthy to have normal sexual orgasm and as long as you dont feel tired of fatigued after orgasms, that you are well within a reasonable amount of activity.
    The area becomes a bit blurred during very intense training as we age. Young people, once again, can experience a relatively zero loss of energy or stamina from often orgasm, even during very strenuous training. But theres no free lunch: As we age, if we choose to train very strenuously, we must allow our body time to heal, and the energy to maintain vitality and health. One area that can work against strenuous training at older ages is sexual activity.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

If you must be childish, I'll lock it up.

I was worried it was gonna go this way :(

Also, PlumDragon, are you a sexpert? You seam to know your stuff :)

14. lauguardian

lauguardian Valued Member

15. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Well the Chinese have a whole crazy sexually devious history to do with internal alchemy. From having sex with young virgins, to practising homosexuality for the reason of maintaining the Yin/Yang balance. Women have infinite Yin you see, they produce more. Guys don't, so they have to have sex with them to draw Yin into themselves. However, ejaculation is the release of Yang, and guys don't create Yang like women create Yin, so they practise techniques to stop them ejaculating during sex.

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Man, all this talk is making me desperate for my girlfriend to get home (only 8 days to go!)

Nah seriously though. You guys have given some great info and insight into this topic. Thanks heaps...and keep the comments coming :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
  17. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Yeah plumDragon certainly knows his plums :D

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Giggity giggity.