Ki - by any other name

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by nzric, Dec 6, 2003.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

At the risk of spending my life in purgatory, rolling an enormous ki ball up and down a hill, here's another chi/ki thread!
    Ok here's the rules of chi club: You do not talk about ... oh forget it

This is the thing. From any MAP threads, past or present, feel free to cut and paste SHORT definitions/explanations of ki - anything from the intelligent and informative to the plain insane and incomprehensible.

BUT - the rule is DON'T post original material. It can be cut and pasted from your own previous posts, but KEEP IT SHORT (and respect other's views!). We'll leave your well reasoned explanations to the other ki threads. This is just a list of definitions.

Maybe, just maybe, even if we agree to disagree about the reality of it, at least we can agree on what the h..l we're talking about! :))

2. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

Quotes of Ki

"I thought I felt my Ki once - turns out I just had a stone in my shoe - Damn! Back to the drawing board."

"You know that tingling feeling you get when you are practising your form, usually in your hands and fingers? Thats Chi energy"

"Call it ki, chi, prana, energy, biomagnetic force"

"The best scientific name I've heard for chi is Electromagnetic force"

"There are things in this world that can't be seen or touched and yet we know they exist, so why should subtle energy and the human biomagnetic field be any different? Infact the human biomagnetic field can be measured and proven and this is an intimate of Qi."

"after a while you should feel the ball, or a warm, tingling sensation. That is chi!"

Again, these are not my views
    :Angel:

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Beneath heaven nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
    Yet for attacking the solid and strong,
    Nothing can take its place.
    Therefore the soft can overcome the hard,
    The weak can overwhelm the strong,
    Under heaven everyone knows this,
    Yet no one puts it into practice.

4. Tatsuma

Tatsuma New Member

5. nzric

the only reason you don't like chi is caus apperantly you have none. :p

Given that I believe chi is visualisation/focussing techniques, I fail to see the difference.

"chi" is life energy. Therefore, the act of walking, running, kicking, breathing, focusing, visualizing, breathing, talking, punching, etc. all involves the use of "chi" to accomplish.

Chi or Qi is simply energy. Every thing in the universe and beyond has Qi has energy, physical emotional, intelectual and spiritual energy.

not all IMA focus on the Dantien. They make reference on storing Chi there, but not all IMAs require one to move from the Dantien. YiQuan is one such. In Empty Power, there's often NO MOVEMENT at all, the defender basically lets the attacker make contact before Zap KaPow !

somone cannot really push the cultivation of Chi. You put your time in, and it comes and grows

6. God

God New Member

Is that a quote from Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming?

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

or in the case of reiki, the energy comes through the practioner and into the patient......

8. Bobtob

Bobtob New Member

Rocks????

How do rocks have chi/ki/qi. you said everything in the universe. im not trying to say your wrong i just curious.:confused:

9. nzric

because chi rocks!!!!!

(btw - it was a metaphor)

10. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Re: Rocks????

Hey, Bob!

One problem is that there are so many definitions of chi floating around that you need a score-card to follow who believes exactly what. In ancient China, the universe (all things, including rocks) was believed to have chi. The buddhists added the part about chi being a life-force (only living things have it) centuries later. The neo-confucianists (13th century or so) went back to viewing chi as a physical force, and living beings having intent, or a view of an ideal (called "yi"), and then they spent the next 200 years doing nothing but arguing over which came first, the chi or the yi. I would say that most of the chi-ophiles on this thread have a view heavily influenced by Morihei Ueshiba, who founded the Japanese MA aikido in the 1940's.

Each of these streams of thought have different views on what chi is, what it does, and what (if anything) people can do with it.....and all these views are mutually exclusive. (i.e., AT MOST, only one of these views could be correct).

Those on the thread that seem to make the best case for chi view it as something that gives you awareness of your own body, surroundings, and muscles, a view not really supported by any of these historical views, except possibly Ueshiba's, which is the most recent. (Interesting, since most who advocate chi support their views partly based on the fact that chi is such an ancient concept.)

Anyway, confusion on this topic is very understandable.

My advice: don't worry about "chi cultivation". Practice your basic techniques, build up wind, work on muscles and balance, and be aware of your body's responses.

11. zun

zun New Member

Perhaps not unrelated to Chi:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_848291.html

Dark energy named 'breakthrough of the year'

Evidence the universe is being pushed apart by a mysterious force called "dark energy" has been named "Breakthrough of the Year".

Science journal has awarded the title after two studies provided proof of a force counteracting gravity.

The fact that the universe was not only expanding but accelerating outwards had been discovered five years earlier.

Dark energy was proposed as the likely explanation, but at the time many cosmologists were wary of the idea.

Their doubts were dispelled this year by data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

WMAP, an orbiting satellite, took the most detailed picture ever of the cosmic microwave background - radiation left over from the birth of the universe.

By analysing patterns in this light, scientists worked out that the universe consisted of only 4% ordinary visible matter. The rest was made up of 23% hidden dark matter, whose nature remains unknown, and 73% dark energy.

The SDSS mapped a million galaxies. In October, the survey team reported its analysis of the first 250,000 galaxies. By measuring how the galaxies were spread through space, the SDSS scientists also concluded that the universe was dominated by dark energy.

Don Kennedy, editor-in-chief of Science, said: "The implications of these discoveries about the universe are truly stunning. Cosmologists have been trying for years to confirm the hypothesis of a dark universe. Science is glad to recognise their success in this effort as the Breakthrough of the Year for 2003."

12. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Are we talking the same thing as Dark Matter? ;) ... yes, yes, yes...

13. musashiblade

musashiblade Banned Banned

lie down some day in the summertime, when there are small clouds in the sky... pick a cloud and focus your will upon it. believe that the cloud is not there, do not focus on destruction or hate, simply focus... when the cloud disappears before your eyes...you have found a form of ki.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It's His Dark Materials all over again.

15. inacan

inacan New Member

Would a Chi by another other name, hurt as much when your instructor sends you flying into the wall from 2 feet away?

Aside from Ki,Qi, Chi, Qing, Ging.... being a spiritual energy, I always believed it occured partially because you have found the way to maximize your power by aligning your body in such a way to deliever it.

16. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

you get that sensation because your veins are overloaded from the movement, not because of ki
    shotokanwarrior

17. marais

marais New Member

hi guys
    i am trying to get more advanced with my studies on ki and the improvement thereof. please help

18. nzric

shotokanwarrier - good point, but I don't want to get mixed up with western/eastern arguments. I just thought we'd set up a thread which could be a collection point for any and all definitions of ki/chi.

Talking about whether or not we agree with each one is for other threads - the first step is to find out exactly what each person is talking about (as perceptions of what constitutes chi varies a lot).

19. dashao

dashao New Member

the best definiton of chi i have heard would be dr yang jwing mings view if i remember he explains it through physics which has already been said but hey worth a shot.

20. pandajelly

pandajelly New Member

Are you an Empty Power practitioner ?