Keyring weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cosmo Kramer, May 29, 2009.

1. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

Anyone own or have used any of the keyring weapons that they have out there? Good or bad experiences? Any other thoughts?

2. Voltaire

Voltaire Valued Member

Had one in the past, never used it. The bunch of keys alone would be just as effective and dangerous I imagine.

I think if you carry any purpose-built weapon you are more likely to get involved in a situation you would be better avoiding.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I have a bunch of keys. Thousand and one uses and I can't be arrested for carrying them (yet).

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think they're fairly useless. Only one I've physically seen is a knuckle duster and like everyone else I think the keys work better

5. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

My set of keys would come in useful, especially the key i have on there for opening security boxes, fits nice between the fingers and is about 4 inches long so it would stick out just enough when striking.Similar keys are the ones used for opening the gas or electric meter boxes on the outside of houses, handy to have on your keyring.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Most people are familiar with the item supposedly developed by the Karate master Tak Kubota and marketed as the "KOBUTAN". Its a short hard plastic stick about 6 inches long and a half-inch in diameter. These short hand-held weapons have been around in the East Asian countries for many generations (see: Mol).

In YON MU KWAN Hapkido, the equivalent of the KOBUTAN is the SOH BONG (lit: "mini-stick") which is graded at CHODAN along with pressure-point work. There is also a lanyard that goes along with the thrusting and striking methods as an intro to binding.

As far as actually carrying such things, most military and paramilitary groups recognize the SOH BONG for what it is and the KOBUTAN is mentioned by name as not acceptable for carry onto planes. I remember a fella who suggested that one could wear a SOH Bong around the neck by the lanyard and that if the shaft of the stick were marked with appropriate symbols the case might be made for representing the item as a religious piece. Personally, I wouldn't care to put my travel plans at risk with such a ruse, but thats just me.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. Southpaw535

These things?
    http://www.c3-sportshop.de/catalog/images/keychains-self-defense.jpg
    They're a nice piece of kit considering tyou could possibly blag them being innocent little keychains but, and I could well be wrong, in a fight holding a 15cm stick in your hands isn't going to be more effective than being able to throw proper strikes or as holy sadi, using the keys on the other end.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  9. Southpaw535

it does look like a cat though

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Quite right. Just having one of these items and poking at an attacker a bit is not going to get the job done. A weapon is only an amplifier of intent; it won't compensate for a person not knowing how to use their body or purposely putting oneself at risk. I think one could say the same thing about a knife or gun. Fact is that just having a knife or gun does not make up for the need to know how and when to use it. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. slipthejab

Here's one that I actually like... reminds me of days of climbing and countless hours stuck at base camps or waiting for breaks in the weather with nothing to do but practice archaic knots that were inherited from marlinspike seamanship. This is a classic that goes way back...

The monkey's fist with lanyard. That knot tied around a piece of lead shot or steel bearing is a nice little sap. But again... any cop that pulled that out of your pocket would have you for it.

Attached Files:

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I find the car much more useful a weapon. It's sort of attached to the keyring.

Why do people think they need to carry weapon about everywhere? If it's that dangerous - don't be there, a keyring isn't going to help you. No matter how big.

13. Southpaw535

I would argue I'm more likely to be attacked in a place where I'm not in my car

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

You wouldn't be able to blag that as a keyring. If you used it you could get in serious trouble, its quite clearly a weapon and has no other purpose but to hurt somone.

The police have been seeing them for years, they know exactly what they are.

Best improvised weapon is probably a big maglite. Police still know what they're for but as they have a perfectly legitimate purpose aside from being a weapon they do count as 'improvised'. Too big to carry around but nice to keep in the glovebox...

15. Southpaw535

Point taken. Also I looked at some sites on using the stick thingy and they all showed precison strikes that you ain't likely to manage when someone's windmilling into you

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

17. slipthejab

Also great thing about a good flashlight is this... someone is about to set you up or behind you or what have you and it's dark or dim... a blast of the light in the eyes gives you just enough time to leg it or kick them in the jewels and leg it. And these days they make some wickedly bright lights in very compact sizes.

Often their first reaction is to turn away or to bring their hand up in their face. Train for that and it's brilliant for slapping a parry or a wrist lock on. Or you can just go for the simple shove/trip over your leg move. The variations are endless. I'm always surprised this isn't covered more in martial arts classes. It's like someone basically giving you their hand while blind.

When I have worked a door we can't carry anything other than small mag lights. They make a great little tool. Not the least of which is for getting your mates to the trouble spot quickly... but also a quick blinding flash and the person being an idiot is disoriented enough to get them in a come-along without a ton of hassle.

Granted it's a tad different scenario than being attacked outside... but just food for thought.

18. Aloysius

Aloysius Valued Member

I totally agree ! Maglites are the way to go, big, heavy and legal !
    (Side note - anyone like the new LED ones?:confused:)
    My very first escrima lesson addressed the flashlights' true potential.

Coming back to the Kubaton, SENI were selling plastic ones of these for about £1.50 last year. I bought a bright yellow one and a black one. I don't actually have them on my key chain, I just carry it in my pocket when I'm in an area that might need a little extra protection and the run and hide technique isn't gonna cut it. This is where I become a little sneaky, when I bought the yellow and black plastic ones I immediatly gave both of them to my dog to chew and chew, so the sides aren't smooth they are rough from the bite marks. I figured even if I am asked what this is in my pocket, I can say its a long plastic dog chew toy ! (Which it is)

Stick with the maglite, light, legal and useful !

19. f4phantom2500

f4phantom2500 Valued Member

Has anyone seen or had any experience with the sharp shooter keychain?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vum43hfIbWU"]Ninja weapon blog - YouTube[/ame]

Any impressions?

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Depends on if you think the tiny advantage is has over a normal lanyard is worth the risk of a criminal record.