Key points and notes from class

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kikaku, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

I was transffering all my notes from my class manual/note book on to my computer today, and I thought part of it would make an interesting thread. I'm aware that posting technique descriptions is taboo,so I'll leave those out :(

I'm cutting and pasting a section of it called " Key points and notes".
    Feel free to add your contributions :)

KEY POINTS AND NOTES :
    • After take down, keep moving over Uke. Strike and control.
    • Always keep moving so you can flow into the next technique.
    • Feel relaxed, flow and practice correct angling.
    • Power comes from the trunk.
    • Move with the hips, the body will follow.
    • Take balance first, then strike.

• “Some people do their Kihon Happo as they trudge around like Sumo. They don’t realize how important walking is. That is a true shame. The finer details of learning to walk will improve their Kihon Happo. That is after all what Kihon Happo is”- Soke Hatsumi

•“If you don’t have the correct distancing, if you don’t use your knees, if you don’t twist your spine, if you don’t use Ashi sabaki (foot work) then you are doing it wrong!”- Soke Hatsumi

• Step on Ukes foot
    • Both feet should point in the same direction
    • “Just feel the flow of the situation and take control using whatever technique comes to light.”- Soke Hatsumi

One move, two or three objectives
    • “Since, pre-engagement, the sole purpose of kamae is to influence the shape and nature of the opponent's possible attack, once in motion there not only is no need to attempt to maintain it, it would probably be suicidal.”-Shihan Dale Seago

• “Kamae are not static postures meant to be held. They are fluid, ever changing "attitudes”. The names applied to them are simply reference points for a particular moment in time.”- Brad Ellin

2. vikingguitar

vikingguitar New Member

Thanks for posting these. I would like to re-emphasize the fluidity and non-static nature of all kamae. I've seen people in class automatically fall into an ichimonji everytime they are confronted with an attacker and hold that stance throughout. The kamae are not meant to be held (generally.) They are a representation of most of the physical positions you can end up in, and are used to train you how to move from any given situation. They are not there to just "hang out" in.

Thanks again for the excellent post. I totally dig it when people post notes and insights!