Kettlebells

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pompeythegreat, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

So for a variety of reason I have decided that going to the gym that my school has is a bit of a hassle. So I considering purchasing Kettlebells. I was wondering what the good people of MAP would suggest?

So far I have found these:
    https://www.onnit.com/kettlebells/

I was wondering wether they are good quality, and fairly cheap?
    If they aren't could you suggest a better product?

If I do get the kettlebells I will also purchase a mace bell and Indian Clubs

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What are you training goals? You might find getting a decent barbell set is a better choice than kettlebells as it will give you more ability to vary the weight you use without having to buy lots of different kettlebells.

3. Pompeythegreat

Strength is a main goal, but I would also like something that I can do cardio circuits with. I have considered purchasing barbells, but I don't have space for them in the house.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Kettlebells are kettlebells for the most part.

Tastes will vary. The main difference is in the handle. Some are thicker than others, some trade off comfort for better grip (go for comfort every time), without picking one up and swinging it a few times, it's pretty hard to say if you are going to like it or not.

Just Google around and make sure there isn't a chorus of people saying that the quality is dodgy.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

they look okay, but for a 16yo guy you really don't want to waste your time with anything lighter than a 25lb/12kg kettlebell, as a starter, so i wouldn't go for the only set on offer. i have a 12k and 16k at home and use a 20k at the gym regularly

6. Pompeythegreat

I'm thinking that I will start with the 45lb/22kg and work my way up from there.

7. Pompeythegreat

I found a personal trainer that is closing down, and I'm going to contact them to see if I can maybe pick then up at a discounted price, see if I can get some other stuff while im at it.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Also check your local Craiglist and Ebay.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A 16kg is a good starting weight unless you're really strong for your size. It's light enough to learn the movements but heavy enough to challenge you. I still use my two 16kg kettlebells from time to time.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If you don’t have previous and significant weight lifting experience, bear in mind that it is very easy to injure yourself or cause muscle imbalances with a KB that’s too heavy for you:

- 16 kg (standard male beginners weight in Russia) would be the max I would recommend until you get the form down, a 12 kg will allow you to get good form much quicker and safer. A lot of kettelbell exercise, if done the traditional way, have a very specific form and it’s easy to get this wrong with a heavy KB.

- if you’re planning on getting two KBs, consider going even lighter for now. There are a lot of exercises you can do with 2 KBs, but as above, you need good form.

- if you start finding the weight too light, which is normal. Just slow down your movement and make sure your form is perfect, you can get a lot more mileage and benefit out of a lighter KB this way prior to getting a heavier weight.

Have you got a resource for learning proper form for KBs?