Kettlebell and sandbag training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combatant, Dec 4, 2005.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I fancy having a go at this. Not the running home with a beer keg, but the weight training part :D

How heavy are they? Or do you put some water in?

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Thankyou very much guys. Photos on way soon lol :D

I have to say I can't wait to get on with some serious training with this now. Sandbags, kegs (borrowed hehe), and a sledgehammer are all hopefully going to get chucked into the mix when I move in to my new place probably just after christmas.

3. Combatant

You fill them with either sand or water. There are instructions about on the net that I will see if I can dig out when I get time unless someone else gets them first. Keg lifting is another old school exercise brought back to life by brooks kubic. And for good reason too, its hard as hell.

4. Combatant

Just had my first taster session with the kettlebell. It was just to get a feel for the things and to give me an idea of what I am capable of with them. With the 3 exercises I did I was as cautious as I could be, as I did not want to put myself out of action on the first attempt. Heres what I did;

2x10 of swings (right hand) getting the kb nice and high
    2x10 of swings (left hand) getting the kb nice and high
    1x10 double handed swings.

1x4 clean and press (right hand)
    1x4 clean and press (left hand)

1 rep, turkish get up (right hand)
    3 attempts of 1/2 a rep turkish get up on the left hand. :p Its fair to say that I got owned by this exercise.

2x10 ab wheel (another new gadget)
    CoC #3 (still training with it now while I type)

The balance and technique were what held me back on the turkish getups so I am going to work on these quite a bit. Next time I will hopefully have a spotter stood by because the whole time I had images of the kb ripping my arm out of the socket. On the 3rd (and last attempt) of the left hand the kb came down at a bad angle nearly hitting me in the face but I stopped it with my other hand and bruised my thumb. My first of many injuries with these things I am sure! :bang: Now that I have an idea of what I am capable of i'm going to start writing myself a programme and will add some moves bewater and others mentioned as time progresses.

All in all it was really fun training with this oversized cannonball, anyone interesed in getting one to supplement there training should give it a try IMO.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Put that down! You're over training :p

[​IMG]

6. Combatant

WARNING: TRAINING TO HARD WITH KETTLEBELLS WILL BUILD EXSESSIVE AMOUTS OF MUSCLE AND CHANGE THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN! :p

7. Athleng Nordic

I want to be pictish blue and the size of Heimdal! :D

8. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

UPS says my 80lber arrived in town early this morning. Can't wait. With the swings you don't have to go too high just get the hip swing into it. Mahler's aggressive strength was good for it's time because he came up with some tough exercises but his basic explanation of each exercise was "uh, this will work really well for MMA, there's no doubtin the transfer". If you're going for a DVD go for one that's highly instructional. I believe you can find all of Mike's kettlebell exercises on bodybuilding.com now anyway. I would go with a Pavel DVD to really get the instructional part down and from there maybe come up with your own tough MMA moves with it. Pavel has DVD's for all of their books and they're the same price as the books though he says go for the books for more "instruction". I like seeing it in action though. Waiting for my first wrist roller. Ironmind sent me a catalog and I never seen such. I definitely have some stuff to spend money on for Christmas now.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  9. Combatant

80 lbs sounds like a lot of fun, where did you get it from? I'm glad you mentioned that about the mahler dvd, as I was worried that would be the case. I have been offered the mahler dvd and p2thepeople very cheap but.......I HAVE JUST ORDERED ANOTHER KETTLEBELL! I have a load of stuff that I will be selling on ebay soon including a trap bar, ironmind hipsquat belt, eagle loops, some various expensive knives, a baraban gripper, some books, a leg stretcher and some other things I will miss. If any of this stuff interests anyone the msg me and I will let you know when they are going on.

10. DSDbronson

11. Combatant

I never knew that they went that heavy! :eek: I can't wait for this second one of mine to arrive. When I outgrow them both they are going straight onto ebay so that I can get a 40 kilo one, but I am definatly going to get my moneys worth with these two first (escpecially with the turkish getups). :D

12. DSDbronson

13. DSDbronson

14. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

Can you post the link for the bells? Will be interested in seeing what prices are available

15. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Bought a 30 lbs KB, showed up today...That thing is plenty of weight for me right now.

Not real sure what my exercises my workout will compose of yet (and Id be willing to hear suggestions), but thus far Ive only tried out the "Bottoms-Up Clean from the Hang Position". Much harder tht it initially looks...

16. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

when I started kettlebell training I was a 5'4" heavy set white guy. But after excessive amounts of kettlebell training I am 7'1" muscle bound black guy.

17. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

swings

18. Combatant

^Swings are a killer, and to make matters worse its one of those exercises you don't notice untill the next day.

Had my second workout last night and I have to say I really do like these things. They will never take the place of the big5 for me but it just feels like they plug the gaps aswell as putting some more fun back into my training. Ive been doing weights for 9 years now, so it is nice to be able to go outside and do something different for a change. I am also hopeing to get a 40kg kb very soon mainly for presses aswell as progression from the 32s and then I will call it a day.

19. Athleng Nordic

Sure you will. :p
    Next thing you'll know you'll have a complete set including these;
    http://www.kettlestack.com/?51970-3107&gclid=CIrxgufI94ECFRNrSQodQiLK7Q

I've been looking into the sandbag workouts, and medicine ball workouts for the same reason. Add in the variety and fun that has become vacant from my routine.

20. Combatant

I will never buy one of those kettlestacks thats for sure. Its a good idea but half of the allure is the fact that I can get away from the weight plates. :p

Sandbag training is something I am dying to do too when I get my place.