Kettle Bell

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, Feb 26, 2017.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ok sure, but i don't have a bunch of weights and racks and benches in my house. i can get a lot of work done in my basement with a couple bells that cost me total 80 usd. yeah, i'd love to do some olympic weightlifting.

i also have a door that needs propping open. :)

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Purely for the absurdity value, here is powerlifter Konstantin Konstantinovs swinging 115kg on a plate loaded apparatus:

https://www.facebook.com/konstantin.konstantinovs.73/posts/250500865377165

Anecdotally, I myself have swung 60kg for sets of 10 weighing less than that myself. I don't think I ever seriously swung a 16 aside from when only just learning the movement. Unless done for cardio (for which they are fun but inefficient) or as part of a calorie burning circuit (ala the 10.000 swings program), there is essentially no reason for a swing to be done light and/or with anything less than the most power that can be applied per rep without form deviation (and even that is not that much of a biggie as long as the spine and hip move relatively in unison and do not significantly misalign)

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I'm not arguing against swinging heavy, I personally started with a 9kg, and don't really use the 4. But that client, at that time, found it useful. It didn't form the bulk of his workout, but it kept his heart rate up during active rest, and that was good for him :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I always thought that with swings, using too light a weight, tends to make you recruit the wrong muscles for it.

"Traditionally" women and smaller males start with a 12kg, with most men starting with 16kg.

If its too light to curl, its far too light to swing with!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

yeah, those are the traditional weights, but I was (like a good martial arts cliché) a small and weak child ;) Personally I've never had problems with a drop in weight making me recruit the wrong muscles, but that's just my experience. The reason I tend to use lighter weights (alongside being too tight to buy more) is that I use them as a superset with regular weightlifting, so I'll be pre exhausted. It's what's worked for me so far :)

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So back to my original point there are cheaper and easier methods for both strength training and conditioning, how Pavel managed to convince people that its cost effective to buy a fixed weight implement is beyond me, when you get too strong for a dumbbell you add discs which cost a few pounds at best, with kettlebells it's buy a complete new set :confused:

Most cultures moved from fixed weights to loadable ones as they progressed why anyone would want to go the other way is a big question lol

But then he also managed to sell them to people explaining they were easier than traditional OL lifts and this you didn't need expensive coaches, and once everyone had one he then managed to sell them coaching courses which cost way more than any other strength course (until crossfit came along.....)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

11. Fish Of Doom

When you go visit! :p

12. Fish Of Doom

Fun fact: Pavel's technique in his early tapes is considered atrocious by the more refined modern peeps :p (perhaps kinda analogous to how OL went all mega elitist after bar contact was allowed and now suddenly no one can explain "push straight down through the midfoot, and don't lift the bar off your legs before you finish extending" in less than a novel trilogy, seven textbooks and a telegram)

13. Giovanni

post a link.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Fun fact Pavel's early guys like cotter and Mahler left him when they realised he wasn't exactly truthful about his credentials lol

16. Giovanni

17. Fish Of Doom

Ha! See, Cotter is what I'd consider a guy who really explores the kinds of things one can do with KBs much more easily than with other weights, what with mixing them with kung fu and all (and holy crap his shoulders are huge, although I wouldn't know how much of that is from non-KB sources). Few gym things are more of a pain in the butt than trying to "rack" a heavy DB or two for standing work, IME (more so given that I'm tiny). Not doing much right now because I'm focusing on OL, but my main use for Kettlebells is heavy strict pressing precisely for that reason :p (also huge ROM, a press from rack is basically a dead stop Arnold press)

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Bob hoffman wrote this York course in the 50's, sometimes wonder if Pavel and his mates read those courses and simply rehashed them using a kettlebell for all the exercises for marketing purposes to interest the comrades and others and blind them into thinking exercises like windmills, swings, snatches could only be done with expensive doorstops

York Course Eight, One Heavy Dumbbell

1. Windmill Exercise (if bell is overhead in right hand, touch right foot with left hand)
    2. Reverse Concentration Curl
    3. Normal Concentration Curl
    4. One Arm Clean & Press
    5. One Arm Swing
    6. Upright Row
    7. One Hand Military Press (heels together)
    8. One Hand Swing with Split
    9. One Hand Snatch
    10. Side Press
    11. Bent Over Row
    12. Side Bend

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. hewho

hewho Valued Member

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I use them because I like working with them. Seems a pretty good reason :)