kettle bell brand recommendation

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Giovanni, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

looking to jump start my home training with some kettlebell work: swings, squats, turkish getups to start with. i've got my mind set on a 16 kg kb.

i was wondering, is there any particular brand better than the others? there are so many choices now and don't want to buy a bad product. i've heard good things about dragon door. i'm not looking for anything fancy, just your basic 16kg cast-iron bell.

oh, i'm in the usa.

thanks!

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Didn't think there's be any difference by brand to be honest. Can you shed any light on what differences to look for other than perhaps the handle shape?

3. Giovanni

i've seen differences in handle shape, yes. but also material: cast iron versus stainless. and some kb's are rubberized or have another coating, others are not. some have smooth handles, others have rough handles for gripping. some have stainless steel handles. some brands don't even do classic pood weights, but 5 pound increments. it's literally all over the place.

i think these should do the trick for me. but i thought maybe some map-pers had a particular brand that he/she liked better for some reason or another.

http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/kettlebells/p10a/

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Didn't realise there was quite so much difference. Always just used the bog standard iron cast ones. Might look into some others for future reference. Thanks.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've mostly used bog standard nojn branded ones and there fine.

But.......... Then I got some sale items, and the stainless steel handled ones are a lot easier on the hands.

And a rubber coating is better for your arms and floor.

But really it doesn't matter. What matters is getting one your going to use. And KB can be pricey once you start getting a set.

If you start getting an expensive 16kg one think how much the matching 28kg one will be!

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

They can be very pricey, have you not thought about using dumbells or a plateloaded KB?
    You can do all the exercises you are talking about with normal DBs and you wont need to buy a new one every time you want to increase weight?

7. Giovanni

i never scrolled down to see the price of the dragon door kb. oof. little pricey, even though i only want one to start. will have to scour the ads for coupons or sales. :)

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

The price in the UK is pretty decent, can get a 16 kg one for around £18 - £60, depending on brand and quality. I'd assume its a similar case in the US, but likely even cheaper.

I picked up some decent ones for the Mrs. about a year ago made by Gold's Gym which I think is a US brand (?), good dense cast iron, nice thick handle and was priced pretty cheap here, about £ 1.5 per kg. May be worth having a look for that brand.

I've had Dragon Door ones before, they were very good, very dense iron so it didn't take up much space and the handle was thick and wide so very comfortable to use and a good grip workout too. They were very expensive back when I got it, think I paid around £60-70 for a 20 kg one, but this was 10 or so years ago.

9. Dead_pool

Ebay is well worth a look too, lots of start up companies, bankrupt stock, and people clearing last years - new years resolutions out of the garage!

10. Giovanni

update....

so i found a fitness supply house in my town and i ended up getting their basic cast-iron bell...

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Home/Item/3243/KB/Iron_Kettlebells_and_Sets/

in-store, i was able to purchase for $1/pound, so it's worked out to be significantly less than ordering online using the retailer i found, in some cases less than 1/3rd.

i'm very glad i bought the bell. i suspected that i needed to add weight to my home bjj-readiness routine and i was right. i've seen improvements in all kinds of movements.

i think i'm now going to order a second 16kg bell. :)

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

thats an insanely good deal

12. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

13. hext

hext Valued Member

I have a Wolversons 24KG Russian Comp Spec and some general cast-iron ones (including one shaped like a skull)

The build quality in the wolversons is excellent and definitely good for commercial use in a gym used by people that don't care,

However if you look after them and don't throw them around like a mad man most should be fine. if you can take a look at them first and check the moulding around the handle is has a nice smooth finish your hands will thank you for it later :)

14. Giovanni

the really funny part of the transaction.....

i walked into the fitness store holding my 3-month-old in his car-seat/carrier. when i asked the salesperson for the kettlebells, he said i had one in my hand. one of these...

http://images.consumerreports.org/p...1053/90195-infantcarseats-chicco-keyfit30.jpg

and actually, if it wasn't such an awkward thing, plus having a kid in there, in a pinch, one could use it to do some snatches. really. :)

15. Dead_pool

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zAkYWo_4ts[/ame]

If this is the right link, I found this video really useful

16. FusionMMA

FusionMMA New Member

Walmart can sometimes have cheap ones available if it's just for home use. I own a gym and prefer rubber coated ones because they protect the floor. Other than that I have no preference. Just look for a good deal if it's just you using them and take care of it.