Kenpo's effectiveness

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Tigersan, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

being in Kenpo for 8 years, i would think u know the answer to your inquiry. Well, Kenpo techniques are designed for use in the street. this works by mastering these techniques individually. when the time comes, there is absolutley no way you will exectute a full technique, with the exception of a few. instead, you use certain parts of a technique in conjunction with others.

Oh yea, and like my instructor says, "it has to become second nature to you."

2. Shotochem

Shotochem Master of Baby-Do-Jitsu..

After 8 yrs in any art, you should be reasonably effective.

As for Kempo, I have been training for almost a year after training for 7+ in Shotokan. I will say IMO, I find Kempo very effective. I also find Shotokan effective as well. It comes down to how you train. If you train hard and realistically It should translate to a real life self defense situation.

-Marc-

3. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

what i have found on my own experience!

#1) practice realitically in the air, not as fast as you can.
    This only stops the subconcious learning ecperience and true understanding of the techniques.Practice slow and half speed.
    #2) Spar as in realistic self defense situations, like kumite-mma type of invironments.
    At first, no one is that good at it, but as time evolves , you will be alot more accomplished at everything you do.
    #3) Try to meditate/ perform focus drills alot more than you do now.
    Meditation help the mind and body "Flow like water" and enables the techniques to just come out on their own, and Focus drills will help you focus more and help enable you to incorporate "The - Techniques-and-what-to-do-for the current situations at hand."
    I follow these and so far i haven't had any problems.

4. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Neo-Ninja

lol, spoken like someone who has never watched the Tae Kwon Do Olympics

5. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

To be effective

I agree with John Bishop's post,(#16), 110%. Live drills and some contact is necessary.
    If you have never been hit hard before when you finally do it will be an earth shattering moment. It is better to have this happen while training instead of in the street.
    :cool:

6. Kenpo_Iz_Active

on that note... even better is full contact. know what it feels like to be hit, as posted by meijin. like a "training dummy", have someone do the technique to you. you will also get a better idea, all around, of the technique.

7. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I think a new video is in order for you Prof. Bishop ;)

8. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Wish I had the camcorder running last night. A couple 13 year old girls went thru the bull ring for their first time, since joining the adult class. A few screams and tears. But better they learn to deal with it in the dojo, then be unprepared someday on the street.

9. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

aww...did they get hurt? Or they just panicked?

10. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Mostly just panic and fright. Injuries are pretty rare. A few bruises, and a little blood once in a while.
    But a lot of people under estimate the amount of punishment the body can take. With proper equipment hard and full contact fighting isn't any worse then football, rugby, or lacrosse. You may be sore for a day or so, but your body and mind gets conditioned to it.

11. harold

harold New Member

Think about this; whenever you spar you are developing reflexes and muscle memory.When you get hit your nervous system is becoming acclimated so that, hopefully. when you get hit for real it will not be a shock. Keep sparring and just flow if it happens for real in the street.Street attacks will usually be surprise attacks;there will not usually be any squaring off;it will just explode.

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

If you get up 9 times after being knocked down 8, you got to get up twice after the last one. So you are more up than when you started :cool:

So I have to ask, is the guy that coined this term (it's actually "I will fall 7 times only to rise 8") was he just really bad at math or was he getting at something deeper?? :)

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

When you have been knocked down as many times as me numbers go out the window.

regards koyo

Now was that seven or eight? :D

Attached Files:

14. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I think it's meant to be something deeper...however, if you get knocked down 7, 8, 9 times your math would be a bit off. :p

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

ROFLMAO

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Thank god for calculators :p

17. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Seriously. I'd be lost without them.

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

You fall 8 times physically, but you fall one additional time when your mind and spirit give up... when you lose all hope. This is the test to get back up.

19. Kenpo_Iz_Active

when your mind and spirit give up, unfotunately, once you fall, you won't get back up.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The "won't" get back up is probably one of the deeper meaning that can be found. It becomes a choice, rather than a foretold conclusion.

If physically possible, you can choose to get back up. But if you do manage to get back up, you are never the same person again. You leave behind that "person" that gave up, if you can't you won't get up.

This should not be taken literally... but used as an example.