kenpo vs tae kwon do vs kung fu

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by MusashiUeshiba, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Kenpo, Taekwondo, and Necromancy. Now that's quite a combination!

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I think with a few different types of rum added you get a zombie-but don't tell Hannibal.

I did find it fascinating that karateka need a kenpo instructor to teach them the bunkai for their kata.

Learn something new every day on MAP!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Actually it's often very beneficial to look at other styles to explore your own. I always say I learned more about TKD pattern application in my first 6 months of Kung Fu than I did in 3 years of TKD. My Kung Fu understanding has in turn been informed by wrestling, Judo, boxing, Kyokushin, Kali and others.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I totally agree (although it seemed I saw more multiple apps in my Karate friends' kata than they did! ) but that's not what KINKINDARk said.

It was this I was commenting on-

" if you already tarined for a long time in Karate or TKD, you can learn all KENPO skills in very short time, as Kenpo actually explained how to apply your pomse/KATA in real combat. "

"Actually explained". Which reads to me that Karate doesn't. But you and I both know better.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Yet if there was no substance to his statement then guys like Iain Abernathy wouldn't make a living. I'm sure there are plenty of schools where the application work is solely straight punch dominated one step and WKF style sparring.

6. itwasntme

itwasntme Valued Member

Bawwww.....

I was a necro accomplice :( That's what I get for posting while tired.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

True. Also true some Kenpo schools I've seen were mostly about sport karate sparring with flashy cartwheeling forms and toothpick weight weaponry but I wouldn't wish to make a statement implying they all are. Did feel his statement was an absolute,sure read like one.

" you can learn all KENPO skills in very short time, as Kenpo actually explained how to apply your pomse/KATA in real combat. "

Again-"Actually explained". Which reads to me that Karate doesn't,while Kenpo does.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Aww,it wasn't even a month old this time. It's OK,but if you're worried as you're a new member you can always point at Ben and yell "He started it! He started it!"

You probably won't even get sent to the principal's office.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Seriously, this is getting like the Chinese Styles thread, just let it go.