Kenpo Theories

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Satori81, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I've done some googling and MAP searching on Ed Parker's various theories, and have come up with very little. Does anyone have any links or recommended material concerning Kenpo Theories like "Marriage of Gravity", "Technique Insertion", "Solid, Liquid, and Gaseous States of Combat", etc...

Unfortunately, when I was attaining rank several years ago in Kenpo, my instructor neglected to include discussions/lectures on the theories behind the technique. Contacting him now is out of the question, as he quit teaching and moved to an undisclosed location, and so I have no "real" instructor to turn to for this information.

I appreciate the help.

May you achieve
    Satori

2. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi
    the best info you could get would be from the " infinte insights " series of books , maybe some tatum tapes maybe the zen of kenpo , anything by jon la tourrette .
    principle's and concepts are paramount to the understanding of kenpo , you could not do a technique like "snapping twig" without understanding angles of councilation, contouring ,frictional drag , body massing and so on.
    these are the things that set kenpo apart , kenpo is a scientific system based on disecting the attacker , they are all imperative tools for the tool box.
    i have failed many students for not paying enough attention to terminology and the understanding of principles and concepts.
    cheers
    matt

3. edges

edges Valued Member

Reading and researching theories and terminology is fine, but just remember they are just theories and termonology, ie words.

As stated Kenpo is an art designed to take apart an opponent in a scientific and efficient manner, but saying that aren't all martial arts (not martial sports). If they weren't they wouldn't have survived to be taught and practiced today.

The problem I find with many Parkers kenpo practioners (not all of them mind) is that they try too much to intellectualise the system, you don't knock out or disarm an opponent with fancy terminology.

What is really needed is blood, sweat and tears. No amount of words can replace time spent on a bag, with a partner, on floor doing kenpo, rather than reading it.

By all means study the books. But at the end of the day it's the hard physical labour that will win the day.

As an end note I read a few of the infinite insights books and found them long winded and not very informative. I have a small library building and find some of the philipino system books (authors such as Mark Wiley and Diony Canete) very informative, as is Leung Ting (Wing Tsun).

I know you want kenpo specifically but anything that teaches efficient fighting, training and body mechanics is usefull. The above authors complement Kenpo very well (I practice Kenpo, Wing Chun and Philipino arts)

Good Look

edges

4. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo theorys

i agree with some of what you say but, if you don't understand principles and concepts no amount of sweat or bag work will save you , the kenpo student must be balanced , i studied epak then went on to adapt the system to suit me and my students www.kenposw.co.uk , i have studied systema , boxing , kickboxing, aikido, thai boxing and bjj , i have fought profesionaly kickboxing and mma , all the principles and concepts saved my butt many times aswell as training physicaly ,
    terminology's are just explanation of principles and concepts , 90+% of techniques use the width /depth/ hieght princple for example, if you don't understand it they won't work.
    just my opinion .
    the student is studying the art , the art is motion , motion is practice ,mental and physical .
    this is the art of over kill ,developed in a time of exess.
    it is well worth exploring , i did ,it made a difference to my art .this does'nt mean i agree with all parkers ideas ,some were very strange indeed.
    but check out the universal pattern it makes sense.
    cheers
    matt

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

They tend to intellectualise on the internet, and bang the crap out of each other on the floor. With so many schools there is of course a wide variety, but most kenpo schools (of all branches) are into heavy contact.

We don't teach so much theory and terminology, but we will certainly not hesitate to use this kind of material from AK whenever we think it will be helpful. Height, width and depth zones for example, or Parkers breakdown of ranges.

-david