Kenpo Techniques and Principles of Motion

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Flashing Dagger, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

Salute to everyone.

The style of Kenpo that I study here in Ohio, USA is founded on Tracy's kenpo but blended with the ideas of Mr. Parker's American Kenpo. I'm guessing that other Kenpo/Kempo people here on this forum have a similar amount of material to learn for each rank progression. We have 30 techniques per belt along with forms and sets. In Tracy kenpo many of these techniques contain up to 4 or 5 variations of the same technique, so actually we are learning more than 30 techniques per belt.

That makes for alot of techniques with names and variatons when you get into the upper levels of the art. But one of our primary goals in learning techniques is to "internalize" kenpo, or make certain principles of motion part of our muscular memory. When confronted with a shoulder grab on the right flank we would not be able to take the time to mentally check our technique list in order to come up with the right response.

I guess that we need to just have faith in the process of repitition. I am trying to extract the essentials from the art and find the simplicity in all of the sophistication. But it takes faith in the art in order to subjecty ourselves to such repitition, right?

My instructor says that when I am becoming bored with a technique, then I should do it until I feel like I am going to drop from exhaustion. Then I should do the technique 50 times more. Do that for a year with all of my techniques and then I will have internalized kenpo.

Is it really that simple? What does everyone think?

Salute
    -Flashing Dagger

2. RCastillo

RCastillo New Member

I'm a pure Tracy person,(4th Dan) and can relate, since they're 600 techs in our system, not to mention the endless katas!

You mention repetition, and simplicity, well, you're right on track. It's easy to see how many of us can get confused, but we must remember it's an "art " form, but in the end, we make it our own. The repetition will strengthen us, as we work to incorporate the basics. As we go higher, there is really nothing new after a certain point, just a different way of rearranging it. It's all basics in the end. You also mention faith, YES. believe in your work, internalize it, and be yourself. It will not fail you.:)

3. Brother John

Brother John New Member

Yes

Your instructor is wise.
    Repetition is the parent of excellence.
    But only Good quality repetition will get you good quality results.
    Pay attention to detail. Mindfulness of detail makes the martial artist in my mind.
    It's kinda like those "Top-Gun" pilots. They spend HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of hour in a simulator and practice flights, and they are ultra-impressive/effective.... but it's not the great 'stunts' they do that's impressive, but the attention to detail and consistancy of performance that makes them great.

Be consistant in the quality of every detail of what you do, then do it a great deal.
    You will appreciate the results.

listen to your instructor.

Your Brother
    John

4. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

Thanks for responding. I have been ill throughout much of the winter already with the Flu and even spent a few nights at the hospital for IV fluids and antibiotics. Anyway my stamina is not what is has been in the past and this has forced me to practice my kenpo in slow motion so that I don't burn out too quickly during my practice. It has occured to me that this 'slow-mo kenpo' allows me to really pay attention to the small details and proper form. I find that before I start practicing a new technique with a speed like I am going to take someone's head off, it really helps to get the motions in my brain and in my muscles by going slow and easy. I guess that this kind of training could also be a good cardio workout if I can continuously do techniques or katas for 30 or 40 minutes without pausing. Just a few thoughts.

Flashing Dagger

5. RCastillo

RCastillo New Member

Yes, starting off slow will be good, until you feel right with it. As long as the body is working, it will do the heart good, not necessarilly great cardio, but good nontheless.:)

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I always go throughteh moes slowly at first. I mean, even moves I've known for a year or more, when practicing, i will do them slowly and then fast.