kenpo karate

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Mark, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

Can someone explain kenpo karate for me? Just what it's about and what it focuses on.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Mark I've moved your thread to this section as it seems more fitting to your question. This section being on kenpo and all :)

Cooler

3. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

The essence of Kenpo...

Kenpo is a combination of ancient fighting techniques and modern scientific principles. An unending flow of motion. A force that can overwhelm any attacker. Every move creates a specific reaction in our opponent. Each reaction leads you to your next move. Every strike is a block and every block is a strike. Each move flows into the next. This logical flow of action is the essence of Kenpo. Kenpo is the most elite of the Martial Arts. To control the power of Kenpo, you must first control yourself. You train your spirit as you train your body. Inner strength, balance and harmony develops as you learn. To become a master of Kenpo is more than to be an expert in Karate. You become a martial artists. You become a master of yourself.

4. waya

waya Valued Member

Keep talking Thomas and you're going to have me driving the 4 or so hours to your classes lol

Rob

5. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

6. waya

waya Valued Member

lol Kenpo is something I have a strong interest in. and Columbia isn't THAT far from Raleigh

7. Cooler

I still think you should head over to Glasgow, Scotland and start a kenpo class over here. :D

Cooler

8. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Waya,
    I'd love to have you up here, there is plenty of room and the guys would love fighting with you!
    Thomas

Cooler,
    I would love to visit, but the idea of living there does not interest me. I want to send you some mpegs and digital video within the next week or so. Give me an address and I'll start EOW.

9. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Mark,
    To be less philosophical and less offensive to Waya, ( we all know how sensative he is)The focus of Ed Parkers Kenpo is to effectively control the attackers ability to raise up or down, side to side, forward or backward. The techniques that are applied in Kenpo are designed to set up, distract, oh no there I go again (siking),stun and then finish the attacker. Although any one technique in any martial art can be devastating if properly executed Ed Parkers Kenpo practitioners do not adhere to the "one movement one kill" idea. We were trained that in fact to properly take out an attacker we must keep on our feet, keep our kicks low, pick multiple targets, execute multiple strikes in a logical sequential manner.
    One of the most important aspects to understanding the effectiveness and realistic nature of an attack and it's counteraction is to have a sound understanding of Anatomy and Kinesiology. We must understand for example that if we kick the groin, the hands will go to the pain, and based upon my "angle of execution" there is a predictable reaction and re-positioning of anatomical targets. It is very similar to a Billiards expert who positions the cue ball in line for his next shot when he sinks the first ball. It is no different in Kenpo.
    You will find in the study of MA's that our bodies will line up targets naturally. If we use the body angles of the appendages, like tracing over a picture, or guiding along an arm or leg it will automatically lead us to a vulnerable target. The point of using an arm let's say, to trace a knife hand strike to the throat is that we are "riding" up the arm to the target, friction between my arm and the opponent as I ride, keeps the arm in a relative position and we do not have to be focusing directly into the target, in fact we can be vectoring on our second and third strikes.
    The need for perception is realized and is practiced through sensativity to kinesiology.
    The technique can now change in the blink of an eye X 10. The attacker opens up the targets, based on your defense.
    Kenpo seeks to have a "built in offense." Which means within our defense is our offense, we try not to seperate block from strike, as in fact there is no real difference, the best blocks are either executed as strikes to break, dislocate, or numb the attackers limbs. Even parries are hard slaps that are directive in nature and will cause numbness or seperation of bone and joint.
    I hope this helps Mark. If I can be of any help to you let me know. There are a lot of martial arts available to you and I think all are good. I feel you should look for a Teacher, not a Martial Art!
    Yours in the Spirit of Kenpo.

10. waya

waya Valued Member

lol me, sensitive?

Excellent post Thomas, better than I could have worded it by far.
    I would certainly enjoy stopping in and having you and your students beating on me for a while :)
    Sounds fun and educational
    lol.
    We actually have plans to be down that way sometime this summer attending some different events that are supposed to be down there.

Rob

11. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Rob,
    Love to have ya! Your always welcome!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  12. Cooler

Hi Thomas just go here contact us and you will find our postal address. :)

Cooler

13. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Ok,
    Thank You Cooler,
    My video gut is going to be out until next weds he needs to have a bone spur removed from his finger.
    Be in touch.