kenpo in mma

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by cbraves85, Feb 28, 2004.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

How effective is american kenpo in the mma's. If so why is it effective in the mma's like ufc and pride. It seems a couple of mmaist have experience in this art.

2. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I think Semmy Schilt is a Kenpo practitioner or I maybe wrong but all I know is that he is a Karate practitioner that competes in MMA.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Isn't Chuck Liddell a Kenpoist? Hackney was as well be he hasn't done much recently and is really only remembered for the Yarborough fight.

4. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Chuck Liddell is a Kickboxer.

5. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo mma

hi you could try mark"the motion "hunt of k1 fame or sefo ,there are many ,as most cross train they are not concidered kenpoist, i do think chuck spent some time in kenpo ,but like i said many cross train and take what they think will benifit their game ,but don't forget kenpo is a street art (parkers kenpo).
    so most practitioners train for the street ,
    matt

6. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Yeah, Chuck Liddell also trained in Kenpo for a little then he cross trained to Kickboxing but yes, fighters usually crosstrain from style to style.

7. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Kenpo by it's self wouldn't be enough to do much in modern day MMA competition. If you took it with some boxing and something like BJJ, you might be able to extract some tecniques from it that would work. I do like Kenpo, but for MMA, it isn't enough. BTW Semmy is 7 feet tall and only beats other Karate fighters. When he gets taken down, granted it is hard to do because of his size, he gets schooled.

8. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

Chuck Liddell is a 4th Degree Blackbelt in Hawaiian Kenpo under John Hackleman. Their school is called "The Pit" and is located in the San Luis Obispo area, just between Southern and Northern California. He is also a professional Kickboxer and MMA fighter. I can't remember which shoulder it is, but Chuck also has a tattoo of his Kenpo school's symbol.

In regards to Kenpo's history in MMA, look back to the earlier UFC's where Keith Hackney took down a near 600lb. Judoka named Emmanuel Yarborough with a ridgehand to the temple. Although he broke his hand after repeated hits to the back of Yarborough's head, Hackney proved the legitimacy, at least IMO, of Kenpo's "overkill" method.

Although you don't see Chuck Liddell using Kenpo in a form that is recognizable to Kenpo stylists, it is his base art, as well as being an accomplished wrestler from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, which has an excellent wrestling program known throughout the country.

9. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

That's why it's good to crosstrain with another art which hence the MMA(Mixed Martial Arts).

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

"In regards to Kenpo's history in MMA, look back to the earlier UFC's where Keith Hackney took down a near 600lb. Judoka named Emmanuel Yarborough with a ridgehand to the temple. Although he broke his hand after repeated hits to the back of Yarborough's head, Hackney proved the legitimacy, at least IMO, of Kenpo's "overkill" method."

Yarborough was a Sumo wrestler, and that "ridgehand" was more of a wild overhand slap. Neither Hackney nor Liddell have ever demonstrated anything I would call Kenpo in the cage. Liddell shows more of a boxing approach to his hands, and although it appears sloppy, he can knock out anyone on any given night.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'd agree there... The only moves I seen keith performaing was that leg kick, and a wild haymaker.

Chuck Liddel for the win!!!
    [​IMG]

12. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

If you look at what Kenpo artists have in modern day mma tourneys you will see ho much they have got their butts kicked. By it's self, it does not work for MMA at all.

13. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Isn't Kenpo like Chinese Boxing and I think it would probably work in MMA because it teaches some grappling in it's curriculam.

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

It didn't seem like hackney broke his hand with all the ridge hands + hammer fists he hit the guy with. I have seen hackney use the kenpo guard that protects ribs and grown, palm strikes, axe kick, side kick, grown strikes, and I think I saw him use a elbow. He came from white tiger kenpo though, and I know nothing of that type of kenpo. Oh and kenpo is japanese and chinese street fighting not chinese boxing. Kung fu is considered chinese boxing I believe. I think it would depend on the kenpo school doing good in mma. They have stand up and ground fighting making it well rounded.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  15. Adam

Adam New Member

Excuse me, but how do you look at a kick and say "haha! That's a kenpo kick that is!" when he could have learned that kick from any one of a million other styles?

16. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

His style is kenpo and kenpo has those moves.

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Naturally though, just because some guy who does Kenpo karate didn't do too well in a MMA compitition doesn't mean that it isn't an effective style.

18. matsloth

matsloth New Member

confusion /i still don't get ,mma or street.mma has rules street no rules ,mma 3/5 minute rounds ,street 3/5 seconds 10 if yer slow.kenpo is a street system ,it can be used in mma, but so is capperera (probably not spelt corect)i dont fancy capperera on the street.some mite.its the stylist and the aplication that counts not the style,its like jkd people thinking they are naturaly superior because of bruce lee ???.lets look at the term mma ,mixed martial arts ,yes mixed not one style ,mixed ,thats it it's mixed its martial arts .as a component it can work for the right stylist.

19. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

True, It's just like the Capoeirista's entering in MMA and they didn't do too well also, IMO, That's why it's called Mixed Martial Arts because it's good to crosstrain with styles in between.

20. Kenpo_Master

Kenpo_Master New Member

Well

:bang: I plan on being a UFC Champ when I get out of the military so I guess you will find out how. Affective it is when I get into the ring :woo: