Kenpo Groundfighting

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Creeper, May 14, 2004.

1. Creeper

Creeper New Member

Saw these videos on Kenpo Groundfighting and it sounds appealing. I don't study Kenpo but I like the techinques it has - just needs some groundfighting from instructors and it would be perfect.

The last tape listed shows Kenpo Jiu Jitsu. Never heard of it until a few weeks ago I went for a walk around the block and saw an American Kenpo Jiu Jitsu school. I will have to stop by and see what they are about.

Anyone heard of Sifu Robert Jones? Trained under Ed Parker and received his 1st and 2nd degree black belt from him. Robert Jones is teaching close to my home. Seems like one of the more reputable instructors in my city.

2. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Kenpo is a standup style.

This is fine. There is nothing wrong with being a standup style, believe it or not.

But it's not a groundfighting style.

Captshady and Fistoffury, both from bullshido, who I fought at the last mcthrowdown both agree with me.

3. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Kempo has Jiu-Jitsu in it's curriculam as well, so it has some grappling.

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

So does Ninjitsu but it does not get any respect as having effecitve ground fighting in it.

Most people have just jumped on the band waggon which is good but it depends on skilled at it they are.

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I am aware of a few EPAK upper belts who are working with this. Larry Tatum has been doing this for quite a while...

6. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi
    a great number of epak techniques also can be done from the ground,
    but we do use a lot of manipulations that work aswell on the ground as standing,but i went and studied bjj to gain my ground skills.
    cheers
    matt

7. Tomanak

Tomanak Nil Desperendum

Kenpo is primarily a stand-up stlye. Very true. But if you want to look at some if its very effective and practical ground applications and techniques, I would highly recommend the work of Joseph Simonet.