Kenpo Competitors

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Korpy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Your thread is terribly quiet without me Korpy. Could it be that *gasp* not many Kenpo practitioners compete?

Anyways just shoot me a PM when I'm allowed to come back and post on your thread and we'll have some more fun together!! :Angel: :D ;)

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'd rather have a quiet thread then a thread being trolled by you. Go back under the bridge.

Anyway, if no other Kenpoists compete, that's pretty sad.

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Indeed

4. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

It does feel a bit weird

I mean Kenpo is a traditional martial art and you want to mix it up with MMA and Kickboxing.

Why not spend your time learning and training in MMA and kickboxing.

In Kenpo you will learn forms and self defense technic that i really dont think you can use in MMA and kickboxing competition.

Or split your training between both and separate MMA for kenpo completely.

Has for competitors well Chuck Liddell did very nice knockin out peeps and he comes from a kenpo back round but the question is how much does he still practice if any.

I saw lots of video of Chuck training and its far from kenpo training.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

You cant say what Kenpo looks like. American Kenpo is different from Chinese Kenpo, Chinese Kenpo is different from Ryukyu Kempo and that is different from Kajukenbo.

If you say Kenpo cant be used for MMA then you truly dont understand fighting or martial arts.

6. KempoFist

Most Kenpo you see is a good idea that never really got off its feet in many cases. The old FCKarate guys trained the "dangerous" or "deadly" street stuff, but tested their bread n' butter in FC competition. Unfortunately, many schools have taken a turn for the worse, and have become obsessive with both McDojofying their schools, and copping out on their untested "dangerous" techniques theories. These instructors have stagnated the art, and essentially made it one of the biggest perpetrators of martial arts BS around.

Chuck Liddell trains Hawaiian Kempo under John Hackleman. Hackleman is a Karazenpo Goshin Jutsu (Kajukenbo off-shoot) guy, who recreated his own system by tossing the kata fluff, adding in boxing and wrestling fundamentals. What he does, resembles very little that you'd see at the majority of Kempo or Kenpo schools.

True, but the vast majority of Ke?po can't be used for MMA :p

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Everytime I read a thread about Ke?po I always get the impression that no one knows wtf it is or what it should/does look like. It confuses the hell out of me.

8. KempoFist

No one does.

9. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Well if you knew your MMA you wouldnt say that, with the evolution it has followed over the last 12 years, a stand up fighter would not last one round in there with an experienced fighter, i mean a full contact fighter, the kenpo i seen has point fighting, very long strech from muay thai and even kyokushin karate.

Its true that all the kenpo you mentionned are different but in a real MMA match would be wortless against someone who has good takedown and subs

10. KempoFist

Herein lies the problem of Ke?po not evolving and adapting with the current knowledge of the MA community as a whole.

Many people take things like I've said in this thread, and apply a "golden years" approach to the situation. Ideology like, "those guys from back in the day would clean house today." This completely ignores the fact that they were merely the best of their time, but by todays standards of what constitutes a good fighter, they couldn't hold a candle....not to mention they'd probably be training more realistically, than trying to stick with antiquated ideas.

11. Gajewski

Gajewski New Member

well... im mixed on this discussion.. i do believe that kenpo is as good of a stand up art as any.. that said if kenpo was the only style you study and you were in a nhb match and you have no experience with wrestling/jujitsu/judo etc.. you better hope you knock the guy out quick or you will be twisted up like a pretzel the split second you let your guard down... not that its not possible for stand up guys to win without going on the groung but you guys watch ufc right... 90% or so matches end up oon the ground... not looking for an argument just stating my opinion... and im a kenpo guy btw...

12. KempoFist

Well this depends on where you train. If you train at an actively competing Kenpo school, then the chances of what you're doing being sound is greatly increased.

I also really appreciate how you acknowledge that Kenpo is primarily a stand-up art, and is not meant to compensate for the practitioners lack of ground game, but rather should be complemented by a style with a ground game. That is a hard pill for many to swallow.

As for prowess on their feet, a member of the other forum I follow - Bullshido.net -, a female Muay Thai kickboxer commented on how at throwdowns (open mat sparring sessions for forum members and any and all else who'd like to participate) she is almost always guaranteed to have the best stand-up skills there. Essentially, anyone who doesn't actively kickbox or box in a sporting context, is damned near guaranteed to have poor footwork and an easily exploitable guard. Just as on the ground, anyone who doesn't grapple live will have an easily exploitable ground game.

Knowledge of how to block, move, strike, and counter is not enough. Live application on a regular basis is an utmost requirement. The lack of experience in actual fighting or sparring using their skills is not only the Kenpoists, but most martial artists worst enemy. They can learn a thousand awesome sound techniques, but not be able to apply any of it, especially against a competent stand-up striker.

And that's not even taking into account the possibility of a ground-fighter or well-rounded mixed martial artist imposing his game-plan.

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

My teacher "evolved" our Kenpo. He is a 4th degree in Chinese Kenpo, but also certified in Kickboxing and Submission Wrestling. So what he did was modify techniques to make them easier, more efficiant, and will show us what we can do if a technique goes wrong.

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

So why isn't Chinese Kempo called Kung Fu?

15. Yohan

MY GOD!!! Don't ask questions like that!!

16. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Well again it depends on the school you attend, i know that the kenpo school i want to go to teaches takedown and ground defense, chocks but you learn all of this at brown belt, when you learn control and i find this very good.
    THe teachers are also certified kickboxing coaches so its another plus here and the kenpo is under Nick Ciero teaching, so it will mix all the arts that M Ciero learned in all is years, boxing, jiu jitsu, judo and aikido.

Boxing can be practice on your own has well you need a punching bag and once you learn the punching techics you are ok, maybe find a sparring patner and you are all set up.

For BJJ and wrestling well its another story.

17. Yohan

You need the pad work too.

18. KempoFist

Because Kung Fu sucks

19. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Kung Fu sucks, so that means that Ke?po must....blow?

Ah I see!

20. KempoFist

I cannot comment on your school since I have never visited or trained there beyond it sounds like a good place, but this comment didn't sit right with me. Most Ken/mpo lineages come from instructors who had a wealth (or a percieved wealth) of experience in other arts. The claims that the Ke?po they now teach is a mix of all that knowledge is usually misleading at best. Just because you use joint locks doesn't mean you have mixed in Jiu-Jitsu, and just because you punch and kick doesn't mean you've mixed in boxing or kickboxing. The throws in particular I've seen performed by Cerio Kenpo practitioners would make any competent Judoka weep.

I've tried this method. It doesn't work. I still sucked, and so does most anyone without formal 1 on 1 boxing coaching with regular padwork and sparring under a competent instructor.