Kenpo Books?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Lecnac, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Lecnac

Lecnac New Member

Hey all. I practice Tae Kwon Do and am interested in studying Kenpo as well (I know that if I want to become "well-rounded" I should take something more removed, eg. BJJ or Judo, but I am not looking to enter any MMA tournaments or becoming the next Bruce Lee; just trying to learn the arts that I find intriguing).

I have neither the time nor money at this point to invest in training, but I was wondering if there were any books that could be recommended for general theories, basic information, etc. I hope to be able to train in a few months' time. Ed Parker's Kenpo, preferably =]

Thanks in advance

-Lec

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

If you can find them, buy the Infinite Insights Series by Parker ;)

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

4. Lecnac

Lecnac New Member

Cool. Thanks a lot =]

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

There is a nearly infinite amount of information in those books but you really won't learn how to do any kenpo from reading them. You might consider getting some tapes or dvds of the kenpo techniques to get an idea of how kenpo is done.

6. Lecnac

Lecnac New Member

Heh, I don't plan on learning Kenpo from books :D I'm just looking to get some insights into the basic theories before I actually can get some lessons. Thanks for the advice =)

7. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

If you are just looking for kenpo knowledge and ideas - general principles - then I would suggest the Infinite Insights series by Parker. William Durbin is a good historical writer and scholar of Japanese and Okinawan Kempo, before it came to Hawaii. Lee Bachman has some books on American Kenpo but I think they are a little thin for the price that you pay. Lee Wedlake has a few general information books on Kenpo which are good. You can find a lot of information on the web as well.