Kenjutsu and Kendo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by MingTheMerciles, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

I am a Kendoka and I am wondering what is the additional stuff that I will be expected to learn from Kenjutsu . I heard that u can even get a chance to strike the legs in kenjutsu .

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Since it's a weapon based art, try the weapons section of MAP.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I kindly decided to sort it out for him.

4. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Are you thinking of joining a particular kenjutsu dojo? If so, which one?

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Keep in mind I don't study JSA, so this is purely conjecture... ;)

They are related but different arts, so likely you will be expected to learn different things. As to being "allowed" to hit the legs, I'm assuming in kenjutsu you will learn how to hit whatever target is best on the situation at hand, rather than what the judges are likely to score as a valid hit. That being said, with longer weapons like the katana and longsword, the legs are a sub-optimal target. It is generally easy to move one's legs back and strike an opponent on the head if he goes for your legs. In really close quarters, however, legs are an easier target than at maximum range.

Good luck, and enjoy Kenjustu!

Best regards,

-Mark

6. MingTheMerciles

So in Kenjutsu , there are wider variety of technique right ? Where in Canada can I get to learn kenjutsu ?

7. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

How long have you studied Kendo ?

How well do you know Kendo Kata and do you use Nihonto for the practice thereof or bokuto ?

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Where are you? There's no sense in searching the whole nation if we can narrow it down to a city. :)

-Mark

9. Kogusoku

Do your homework on ryuha and legitimacy first, otherwise you'll fall foul of some Walter Mitty pretending to teach real kenjutsu but in essence, who is in reality, teaching ineffectual non-realistic tripe.

10. nickh

nickh Valued Member

This is very good advice Ming.

Furthermore, make sure that the style of kenjutsu is listed here:
    http://www.koryu.com/guide/kenjutsu.html

If it's not there, make sure there is a very good explanation -- it will have to be something more convincing than "our style was kept secret."

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

You are NOT expected to learn genuine kenjutsu in a kendojo. However, 99% of kendo dojo will teach kendo kata, which is a gendai kenjutsu.

What dojo do you attend?

12. MingTheMerciles

recently I just arrive from hong kong to vancouver , currently I am a 4th kyu in kendo and would want to know what will I expect out of kenjutsu .

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  13. ScottUK

You need a kenjutsu dojo within travelling distance before you can get expect anything from kenjutsu.

14. Kogusoku

last time I heard, there were no kenjutsu schools in Canada, apart from one very fake Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu dojo that was run by a charlatan.

Start checking here: http://kendo-canada.com/

Hope this helps.

15. ScottUK

Kim Taylor & Reg Hardman teach HNIR kenjutsu in Toronto. That's all I know to.

16. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Found this in Canada

Is this place genuine?

http://dragonfencing.com/kenjutsu.html

Failing that, there is always the Gunshi Dr. John J. Williams in Canada. he might teach kenjitsu as part of the Saigo-ha Daito-ryu system. :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  17. ScottUK

Oi! Go stand in the corner... :)

18. Kogusoku

Please lord, take it away. My eyes! My eyes!! :bang:

19. MingTheMerciles

So where is that place ?

20. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO For the love that is all good and wholesome STAY AWAY from that god-forsaken place.