Kendo Obi question - kinda urgent!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by DarkNozomi, Jan 22, 2017.

1. DarkNozomi

DarkNozomi New Member

Hi! I recently started a new martial art and we need to wear a Hakama and obi. I bought the Hakama and top, but it didn't come with an obi. Is it possible to just make one out of cloth? I'm kind of really wanting to wear it to practice tomorrow...

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Personally I'd take everything I've got and ask the instructor tomorrow instead of taking some sort of cloth.
    But maybe speaking to the people responsible is out nowadays.

When I forgot my belt for Karate once, my instructor gave me a white belt out of the cupboard. Most clubs have spare belts.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Obi" is the belt, right? (That's the word as I know it from aikido.) I've never known them to come with belts, so I'm not surprised that yours didn't.

However, I did kendo for a year (in Gardena, Calif), and we didn't need belts. Some people wore an obi but some didn't. A hakama comes with its own straps that will hold it up just fine for kendo, and the hakama holds the jacket closed. What I'm saying is that you might not have a problem.

But no, do not make your own obi. If you need one, buy one for a few dollars.