Kendo - Has anyone any experience of it?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Big Ben, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

It's something I've fancied a crack at for quite some time, (especially recently so I can get fast enough to hit freeform with a big stick :D) but does anyone have any experience of it that might be of any use?
    :confused:

2. khafra

khafra New Member

When I was doing aikido we did Iaido with bokken every Friday, but that's as close as I've gotten besides seeing the Kendo guy attack James Bond in that one film. It's always sounded rather interesting to me as well, though.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Yes, I did kendo for a while a few years back. What about it are you interested in knowing?

PS: Freeform is a bit misleading, kendo is a little restrictive about where you can hit, and how you can hit.

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Mr Green, I think he was refering to me... his flatmate! ;)

Andy, I think I'll wonder along to that, anybody else interested, we could make it a ScotMAP meet!

Col

6. Andy Murray

Sounds good to me.
    BMX masks and Bamboo garden stakes in the Kelvin hall car park. Last one there's a Spike!

7. Andy Murray

Seriously though, this is a 'world' event, and the forum needs a good report, so anyone with any knowledge of Kendo would be great to take along to the event.

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Got it.

Perhaps the Dog Brothers method of stick fighting would be more suitable then ;)

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Oi! First Yoda hits me with a stick and now everybody thinks it fashionable! ;)

But seriously, we do have a big garden :D

I'll try and convince some of our Aikido lot to go, Tintin should have a good appreciation of the swordwork.

Colin

10. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

All I have to say is yes I did practice AND that I loved it. It is a bit restricted on where you can hit someone, but at the same time not really. I mean if you look at it like...all the places you strike will kill someone almost instantly, then it has a value to it. Well, if you ever go back a few hundred years with your katana and end up in Japan. But I loved it so because it is super competitive and takes real nerve to win your matches. Gosh, I wish our school never closed down...

11. Spike

Spike New Member

"BMX masks and Bamboo garden stakes in the Kelvin hall car park. Last one there's a Spike!"

Cheeky sod

12. Andy Murray

Ya got me!

Oooh, I'm cut to da bone! :D

13. Spike

Spike New Member

I`m trying to make sure I only use small words in my retorts so that you can understand them :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2003
  14. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Hey, I'd happily be a Spike - he got a bit of Buffy action last night...:love: :D

I'd be up for going to have a look at the kendo comp, should be interesting.

15. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

what about the kote shot
    that wont kill instantly

16. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I do kendo....so does officer_fujiita and kendo_cougar

17. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

Are you asking if it can be used for self-defense?

I've been training a little in kendo. Kendo is good for developing concentration, discipline, coordination, balance, speed, etc. - much like every martial art. I guess what sets it apart is you also get to learn a bit about Japanese culture with it. But for self-defense... nah, I don't think so.

18. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I agree. :love:

19. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I on the other hand beleive any MA has seldefense applications.
    Why?
    Because you be surprised how many katana weilding nuts there really are out there. ANd knowing how to fight against some one using a sword may save your life some day.

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Oh? I have yet to see a katana weilding nut...mabey a baseball bat, but not a katana...and if they did I don't carry my katana around with me.