Kendo and actual sword work

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TheCount, May 12, 2005.

1. ivica

ivica New Member

For the one who tries to make funny comments about my rank etc: that's what the web sites are for - to read them before you make rude comments. My lineage is clear. I am an active marial artist, unlike many armchair "samurai". If you have any problems with my promotions or any personal (insulting or whatever) questions, please read the subject of this thread, give others a break and write to me directly. I will be more than pleased to answer all of your questions. Thank you.

http://budoserbia.tripod.com/Seminar2005.html

This is budo. Today. Now. Here.

Bless you.

2. ivica

ivica New Member

For Gunyo Kogusoku: you wrote "one of the individuals who graded ivica". Then you pointed to a man I have NEVER seen before in my life, George Alexander. You are confused with names. One of the names I am proudly exposing on my certificates in jujutsu (and kenjutsu) is George ANDERSON. Not "Alexander".

For Hyaku: It is interesting that you have Director's position. Is it still active? I will ask Hosokawa sensei. Wouldn't it be fair to give back that diploma or whatever? You also say: "They asked me to teach/judge. I guess this was based on the grades/certificates I already have in Kendo/Iaido/Battojutsu etc." Frankly, I believe Tanabe and rest in ISCA do not care a bit for other ranks - they simply want serious people who can spread this sport and martial art. My rank was not important to them. They never even asked. And I was also invited to teach and judge - but after a seminar and European Championship. One kendo/iaido/battojutsu sensei does not necessarily have the ability to teach chanbara. On the other side, even aikido students with initial knowledge in aiki bokken can learn quickly what's enough to start teaching others. Someone said - become a practitioner and a competitor in 1 hour, become an instructor in 2 hours. But hold a second: instructor here does not have to do anything with black belt. You can become judo instructor in Europe without black belt. These things are different. Furthermore, black belt in chanbara is not the same as in goshindo - initial form of Tanabe's art. In my country members of WKF karate (Serbian Karate Federation) issue diplomas which state: "1st Dan master of Serbian karate sport". Enough said! Everything is wrong on that diploma: "master" is used as a synonym for all black belts (same as in many countries in Europe), that Dan grade is for "karate sport", not for "martial art", and what's most funny of all, it is "Serbian" karate sport - as if there are "Bulgarian karate sport", "German karate sport", or "Japanese karate sport". To make it simpler: Dan means what it means to who gives it out! Still - would you say that 15.000 karateka in this country do not practice karate? For 3rd Dan they have to perform some 15 kata, bunkai, kumite, demonstrate and explain kihon, etc... If you think I am all impressed with chanbara Dan ranks, FYI, I did not even get one. I am the head instructor and national referee for my country, no black belts. So - lets not speak about Dan ranks at all. Look at the essence...

More: you have a problem with this: kids in martial arts. As a matter a fact, you probably have a very narrow and exclusive definition of martial arts. I am not particularly interested in it - I just want to draw your attention to karate of WKF today - and even judo - martial arts which are organized very much like chanbara. I mentioned 15.000 karate practitioners in my country. Did I forget to say that 14.000 of them are kids under 12? And they believe karate is just a sport. Now, with such perspective on karate and judo, would you disqualify them as well as "martial arts" in that "noble" definition?

You say: "This is exactly what Tanabe says. He says due to the interest in Jidai geki (Japanese samurai dramas) numbers are increasing." So? I see no problem with that. Martial arts would NEVER be so popular without films. And without kids...

Dare I say: kenjutsu (tojutsu, including bokken kumitachi, batto-do, plus kendo and iaido...) would also never be so popular without young hot heads who saw some movie, read some book or heard some fantastic story. In my organization we have kids and adults who practice kenjutsu because they've heard of it after they joined chanbara class. Same as in Goshindo - from padded sword over bokken to real blades. Only - fun is somehow disappearing as you progress...! So - I vote never to grow up and always to carry around my choken and kodachi.

That invitation from ISCA you are quoting is nothing strange. Just an ordinary advertisement. Same as in any other organization. Rules are simple - why would it take a university degree to become a judge in chanbara???

In relation to preserving the tradition vs. sparring etc. - would you be so kind to insist on the same principle while arguing with over a million of people in Europe who are practicing gendai jujutsu? They don't do that for tradition - they do that because they like it. And they call it "jujutsu", despite whatever the protest may be. (in relation to those boring questions and remarks about my exposure to koryu kenjutsu: nope, I don't have it, unless you admit that aiki bokken, ninpo, iaido and kendo techniques have some koryu in it - or maybe those sword arts created after Meiji reformation came from outer space??? In short - my kenjutsu is gendai kenjutsu, mixture of chanbara, kendo and iaido techniques and principles - same as "my" jujutsu is a mixture of judo, aikido and karate. And , btw, I am not self-promoted, my ranks are also recognized from very serious people and organizations with links leading all the way to the very same roots: Kodokan, Uyeshiba, Gichin, Zen Nipon Kendo Renmei, Dai Nippon Butoku Kai, etc...)

So, gendai people are "guilty" for not being blinded with "subtle aspects" of "real budo" (???). They accept some of it, but are more focused on content than on form. They respect tradition, but that is not "sine qua non". After all, they will probably keep more of that tradition than any narrow-minded elitist group of hard-core xenophobic japanophille traditionalists. (you may quote this wherever you like). You used just the right word in your post: "oblivion". In couple of decades, budogi, rei, sensei and kiai will be seen or heard only in what you are diminishing today: gendai dojos, who may not be "koryu", but are "dento". All the rest will go to oblivion - even some who believe they are "gendai".

For Cudgel: they in chanbara know it is a sport - not a game. Sport is: a game + art + skill + business + much more. In my country, language and culture "game" means the same as "playing" (one same word - "igra") - so, it implies no rules. Kids do not have fixed rules when playing. SportsMEN do! You see, speaking about these things includes some knowledge that is beyond simple martial arts forum definitions. Like what all these words and things mean in other languages and some different social surroundings. Like - why is chanbara so popular in former Soviet countries? Or why there were no koryu schools in Eastern Europe? (and in most of Europe, as a matter a fact!)

Just spoke to my student and friend about all of this. He is active in Chanbara and kenjutsu and jujutsu, and is, same as I am, very cautious about conclusions. His reasoning: Chanbara lacks some things, but the same goes for "non-sparring" martial arts. Let no one be deceived: if you don't practice with katana and don't actually USE it (as some freaks did in recent Balkan wars!), you don't know much about it. My friend says: "I would like to see those traditional guys who do not have sparring matches or any such things to perform kote gaeshi on a boxer" :)) Sounds like "ditto" to me!

Oh, yes. Someone noticed this: "So, we have someone who is in Serbia, getting a rank from an American orginization in Japanese martial arts. Funny!!!!"

Is it so funny? Probably is, if you believe those are "Japanese martial arts". Would you also say "football" (soccer)" is English? Or is it "of English origin"? Is it funny if someone from Germany gets the coaching certification in football from a Brazilian organization in "English" sport? Or - a bit more illustrative - would it be funny if someone who is in America gets a rank from Korean kendo (or kumdo) organization from some Korean who was kendo Champion of the World? Is it so funny? Ranks in martial arts (and "martial sports" as we call them in Slavic languages) mean as much as you invested in them. You have not invested a minute of your life in my rank - so why not making ignorant jokes with many !!!!!!!!!! You will (probably) never meet me, never train with me, never get tested by me, or depend on me in any other way - so why not using me and my presence here to heal your inner problems. If you make someone look "odd", will it make you more normal? OK, if that's your choice. If that helps you feeling better, go ahead.

Someone said I am eloquent. Thanks. Unfortunately, this is not my language. I make some efforts, but the outcome is not a satisfactory one. Maybe you could try with Serbian :)

I found some free time to write all of this. I am not sure how to sign and get updates info from this and other threads. Any help from moderator?

Osu!

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

To subscribe to the thread, click Thread Tools at the top of the thread and choose Subscribe to this thread. On the next screen, choose when you want to be notified of new posts in the thread, then click Add Subscription.

Hope that helps :)

4. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Yes, a large video collection and seemingly no actual instruction from a teacher. Else you would have mentioned a name among all of this screaming.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

So back on topic...

6. ivica

ivica New Member

Dobrivoje Djuric, Ljubomir Jecic, Dragan Jankovic, Dragan Miljkovic, Vuk Rasovic, Zoran Vicic, Nebojsa Milovanovic, Dejan Milosevic, Goran Kurnuk... Do they mean anything to you? I bet they don't. I was learning for ages from "anonimous" Serbian teachers, not from famous "budo superstars". And I am proud of it. It took me 12 years to reach shodan. My teachers had lower Dan grades because in all East-European countries rank was mystified. In Russia Dan ranks were even forbidden for several decades. Although, Vuk Rasovic, for example, is 8th Dan judo and a World champion for veterans....

I received recognition and certificates from top jujutsu sensei in Serbia. But they don't mean a lot to you. So why more names? Would you rather prefer one of those funny lists: "seminars which I had attended - and learned "under" all these great teachers who didn't even look at me in all that crowd!"...

So, knowing about all of this, back in 1998 I have decided to change something about my ranks. (BTW, my medical diploma is not recognized in England and USA, so why would I care for black belts!?...) After a year I also got some foreign certificates and even promotions. First came from american Judo and Jujutsu Federation. More came from other sensei who saw me on video or directly. From Arnold Davies sensei, for example, who learned from Kenshiro Abe... Abe sensei was 8th Dan judo, and 6th Dan aikido, kendo and karate. Or from Bruce Bethers sensei. Check out his ranks... And so on...

Grimjack, I don't hear screaming... Maybe it's someting in your head?
    Moderator?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  7. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I may have missed something whilst trying to decipher all this barely considered flaming and ego flounting.

Exactly what Style of martial arts do you hold Certifiactes in?
    I dont mean Judo/Jujitsu/Kenjutsu etc... But the schools.

What Koryu Kenjutsu styles are you certified in? and who taught you?
    What Koryu Jujutsu styles are you certified in? and who taught you?

8. Grimjack

In short, names, eh?

And not those on the sides of a video box.

9. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Actually, the modern fencing rapiers, foils and epees are supposedly much lighter than their real counterparts. (I don't study fencing so this is only hearsay, correct me if I'm wrong). So, fencing doesn't really translate to using a real sword either. It would take a lot of practice to handle the change in weight so as to avoid overshooting.

10. ivica

ivica New Member

SCP Kensei, I wrote it more than once, I DID NOT train in any koryu jujutsu and koryu kenjutsu. Go ask the same question just about any of jujutsu and kenjutsu people in Europe, you will have the same answer. Visit the site of Deutschland Ju-Jutsu Verbundes. Or site od Danks Judo 7 jujutsu Verbund. Or site of Ju-jitsu International Federation. Or site of World Ju-jutsu Federation. Sites of Swedish Jujutsu organizations, etc... Got nothing more to add.

You want styles? Only for dan grades that I have. OK.
    Jujutsu system of Jujutsu Federation of Ferbia and Montenegro (no Japanese names, no "ryu" names, sorry); Jujutsu system of Bushido Zazen International Society. Gendai Aiki jujutsu system of BZIS; Jissen Aiki Jujutsu and Jujutsu system of Kokusai Jissen Budo Kyokai; Gendai Goshin Ryu Jujutsu in Kokusai Gendao Budo Renmei; Shotokan karae in Serbian Karate Federation; Traditional Kodokan Judo in MAIF; Kenjutsu sandan in gendai system recognized by Kokusai Gendai Budo Renmei, Kunami Ryu Budokai, Serbian Budo Council, Bushido Zazen International Society, etc. Kenjutsu godan in system that was developed by me and my associates in Serbian Budo Coucnil - recognized by United States Martial Arts Federation and Martial Arts International Federation. Should I go on? There is lots of it in past 26 years. once you demonstrate acceptable gendai jujutsu and get rank from reputable organization, it is similar to domino efect.

Eventually, 3 years ago, to make it all simper, I started calling what I do Shinbukan Jujutsu and Shinbukan Kenjutsu, after the name of my dojo. Kept the ranks which i already have, did not self-promote or claim to be faounder of new style. I insists there is nothing new in what we do in here - it is not "ryu" or "or ryuha", it is simply gendai jujutsu and gendai kenjutsu (and most of them are very similar). Most simply: jujutsu and kenjutsu as practiced in Shinbukan Dojo.

Frankly, I don't see any problem with that. Nor did any of people who got in touch with me, here in Serbia, or abroad, wher I was running seminars, or participated on them.

Please read the history of Serbian Budo Council at http://budoserbia.tripod.com
    Also, visit www.budo.co.sr.

Try reading KIAI archive over there.

BTW, I could ask you one question: do you consider your Bujinkan training koryu or what? If I tell you that I also received instruction in it and that some of my associates here in Serbia are black belts under Armin Dofler, Hose Manuel Colado and others, would that calm you :)

No more "of topic" messages and repeated questions. If you want to read and really get informed, me and my associates have spent last 7 years in creating very informative web pages. It is all very clear, although no one of us speaks English as a mother tongue.

Grimjack, you got yorself the names. Of some very real people. Enjoy while trying to pronounce their names :)

11. Grimjack

I think you should understand why everyone is laughing at you and saying you do not know what you are talking about.

You did not get rank from a real teacher. You got it from a orginization that recognizes people in return for others recognizing their rank. There are so many frauds that do this. Someone living in Serbia getting rank from someone in America you never met in person? If you think about it, you will realize why no one is taking you seriously when you try to make comments comparing koryu kenjutsu and jujutsu and the silly stuff you do.

Let me guess, next you are going to drop names of people and try to impress us with them. We do not even know if these people exist, let alone if they really say what you say they do. But the fact is, you run around playing at being a Japanese sword style with the names, hakama, etc and yet you are self taught through videos. The pictures you show indicate you have a very low amount of knowledge of the art. That is your cue to start talking about how great you are and how we are all probably just jealous.

So, if you would stop talking about how your little play time activities compare with kenjutsu arts that have been used to kill people, we can get on with the conversation with less mirth but more substance. But talking about how you feel sorry for those that just don't understand someone of your skill will keep us amused.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I have to agree with you Count. The original topic is burried in the interrogation of someone else :(

Please dig-up the original topic, or the padlock comes out.

13. ivica

ivica New Member

Grimjack,

You should check how many of you "laughing guys" are there. As a matter a fact, it is me and my friends who are laughing.

I never paid a single dime for any of my certifications. If you have a problem with that or you are jealous, try doing the same. Go ahead and contact MAIF authorities. Or BZIS, or any other organization listed on my site. They are not diploma mils. And they know what they are doing, they've been around longer than you and me.

I could add that I have seals from English sensei in front whom I presented my art while I was in England, and also while they were here couple of times. I was running kenjutsu seminars for kendo people in Czech Republic. Having a great time with members of French Kendo. I shared my art with people in many countries in Europe - Slovenia, Bulgaria, Russia, Italy, Macedonia, Bosnia, Austria, Ukraine...

It's interesteing how all of them (and me) are so stupid and uneducated (despite all of our links to top sensei and reputable organizations), and only you are so smart and knowledgeable?

You should not even try understand the difference between koryu jujutsu & kenjutsu and gendai jujutsu & kenjutsu. I am not even asking you about your background in martial arts, educational level, ranks, affiliations, or anything. All I need to know about you is how offensive is your attitude and how little knowledge you have in modern budo. Please, learn more about what you're criticyzing. If Japanese sensei like Tanabe and Hosokawa sensei have nothing against my jujutsu and kenjutsu grade, I wonder why would you care? Once more - do I sense some jealousy here?...

Keep training and learn how to communicate with people, maybe some day you reach where I am now.

14. ivica

ivica New Member

Dear moderator, I agree with you. As far as I am concerned, this thread is closed. See ya!

15. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Mr Moderator if I might be allowed to defend myself a bit and bring it back on thread.

For Hyaku: It is interesting that you have Director's position. Is it still active? I will ask Hosokawa sensei. Wouldn't it be fair to give back that diploma or whatever?

No I'll throw it away when I move in the near future. Its really not worth the paper its written on.

You also say: "They asked me to teach/judge. I guess this was based on the grades/certificates I already have in Kendo/Iaido/Battojutsu etc." Frankly, I believe Tanabe and rest in ISCA do not care a bit for other ranks - they simply want serious people who can spread this sport and martial art.

Well thats fine with me I don't care either. If I thought it was a good thing I would have followed up on it.

More: you have a problem with this: kids in martial arts. As a matter a fact, you probably have a very narrow and exclusive definition of martial arts. I am not particularly interested in it.

On the contrary..... I teach kids all day and mornings evenings teach them Kendo. That keeps me more than occupied and little time to jump and flail about with foam sticks. As a kendo teacher I am able to make comparisons with actual sword work (which I also do). That was what this thread was about.

One of the main differences is that the feet and body settle to use strong kahanshin (lower body power) and a generation of power from the hara/hips. Whereas modern Kendo works more on a moving through. It really has changed within the past 50 years. Looking at old film clips of 1940's Kendo used to be far more static using more downward power.

Ivica... If you think a chanbara is a sport martial art comparable with kenjutsu you are in need of medication.

16. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Hi-
    Modern fencing has no rapier equivalent - the epee is a form of a dueling weapon derived from late transition rapiers - but different - the foil a much lighter, 'foiled' (ie end bent over) version of the later smallsword and the modern saber a toy to practice for real saber work - now all lost in a sea of rules and lost intent from point scoring. (good fun though:D )

I have never trained in kendo (to get back to the point) but do use modified shinai to practice technique at speed in KDF (14-15C german style combat system) - it is used to represent the weapon and although it is lighter (in the same way as it is lighter to some degree or other than a katana) it is still invaluable for training body movement, speed, distance and intent - and safety.

These are important factors to be able to understand in a dynamic situation - and factors which kata/forms etc are less effective at teaching (IMHO) - fighting with a sword is not something that can be practised directly - the second we try we immediately change the experience for the sake of safety (of course) - we must accept that and 'triangulate' the truth by training in different ways, controlled sparring (not for points - but for understanding), forms/katas with the weapon proper etc etc.

But then - why would you want to train to be lethal in sword combat?

17. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

its not that hard to weight a shinai to behave like a longsword....I have two that blacned like longswords only they are lightish bieng only 2 pounds. And i think KDF is older than 14th century either that or my brain is farting.

I think this is now a moot thread, mayhaps it shold be locked and stickied as a warning not to touch upon this subject again. It is clear that despite how passionat all involved are on this no one is going tobudge on this. Even though using a ultra light padded toy as a sword isnt going to teach you much in the way of fighitng, thats like saying all those LARP groups in the US are doing a martial art.

18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Cudgel,

I think you're right, time to lock the thread. The thread has drifted too far.

19. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

-but it could be used when focusing on face-techniques for safety-reasons, so that one can test techniques full contact and full speed -as a supplement to the "real thing".

20. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I still think that a better padded wepaon could be made that is closer to a real sword than fibreglass and foam.