Kempo Principle : Breaking Balance

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Red J, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Red J

Red J New Member

OK, from what I've learned from my training and the training of other kempo enthusiasts is that a reoccuring theme is that of breaking your opponents balance within the first defensive movement and subsequent movements until you have won that front. The principle here is that if you own their balance you own them. How does your system look at this and give one example of a technique that you like to use to establish the balance war in your favor.

2. Red J

Red J New Member

One of my favorite opening defense moves is a "check" kick to the knee, thigh, or hip (depending on the attacker, size, and type of attack). This immediately takes the attackers balance and places it from over his feet to a position where his hips are back and his head and upper body are forward. From this position the attacker is extremely vulnerable and the counterattacker can finish with a variety of options.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yo Red J.....Welcome to MAP :D

4. Red J

Red J New Member

Hey Pacificshore...I finally took the plunge. Now let's talk some Kempo! :D

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

In regards to your question, in Kara-Ho we are taught Ki Principles where we learn how to maintain our 1-point, and also learn essentially how, or what can/will disrupt our 1-point. So as far as techniques, any strike or kick to a vital target area to break the opponent's center is how we go about controlling one's balance. As the old saying goes, where the head goes, the body must follow ;)

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Well its about time dangit :p

7. Red J

Red J New Member

Alright, I understand what you're saying, now how about an example of a technique that you really like that accomplishes this goal.

8. Red J

Red J New Member

Yes, I know.... :rolleyes:

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Well I was gonna say just about what you had mentioned, depending on type of attack and size of attacker. I like shin kicks for the same reason you described, it can place the head over the feet and hips back, it can also perhaps leave then on one foot.

Another technique would be to cause the attacker's head back with say a heel palm to the chin, head back hips now forward.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I will try to add my take later, but until I have time, welcome to MAP.

I do Shaolin Kempo and we believe the same way. And here is why:

When somebody is well grounded and ready for a fight (ready to get hit) their muscles and energy are focused on defending the body. However if you get them to a point where they have lost their balance, their muscles "reassign" their duties to preventing them from falling down. If you strike at nerve cavities when they are in this state, the results can be very dramatic.

11. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Howdy

Speaking of KI principles, Pacificshore- You missed a great seminar on KI principles in Mexico a couple weeks ago :D

GM broke some ice, and fun was had by all-

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I always miss out on the good stuff :bang: I thought that GM was in Australia...or is he there now...man, its like loosing track of my keys :eek:

13. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Balance is an important aspect of Shorinji Kempo too, especially with juho type techniques. Most techniques can work well with just pain, but add in breaking their balance with the pain and they become much more effective and easier to apply.

I’m not really sure what my favourite technique is though, I’ve never given that any thought. Some techniques are definitely easier for me to use than others, and this can change from time to time. At the moment maybe Oshi Gote is one that seems to work OK.

I’m sure you guys have a similar theory too. In Shorinji Kempo we have a saying “ken zen ichinyo”, this means mind and body together. One aspect of this is that not only is it important to break the physical balance but also the mental balance. Because the mind and body are inseparable this can mean that it is possible to take physical balance by disturbing the mental balance of you opponent or visa versa. Of course the greater the loss of balance in both areas the weaker the opponent becomes.

14. Red J

Red J New Member

Great points. There is more than just physical balance, there is mental balance. If you shake the mental balance, many times it doesn't need to get physical. This also could explain how people of lesser skill can defeat people with greater skill just because they had the mental edge.

Thanks Colin.

15. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Left or right punch attack.
    Front ball kick to the groin.
    Downward palm to the back of the attackers neck.
    Side kick to the inside of the forward knee.
    Welcome RedJ!

16. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Further to this, the breakdown of mental balance does have an effect on physical balance. When people loose their mental balance, they also loose focus, this can be seen in something as simple as the basic gamae (stance) or the ability to maintain zanshin of some students, when undergoing testing or other stressful activities. This then has an effect on how they physically move or control their physical selves. The result is physical imbalance created by no direct physical action of their opponent.

17. Red J

Red J New Member

As I have progressed in my journey this whole concept has really evolved from taking balance the harder way versus the softer way (sure, yin and yang here :) or in this case yang/yin). Here are examples of each.

Harder : opening block from #2 combination (You use use an "L" step to the right so that you are facing the opponents right hand punch as you use a right forearm block.) This block, which hits from the bicep to the shoulder joint by using the weight of the body (I usually hit the bicep) forces the opponents balance backwards, up (or down in some cases), and to their right.

Softer : opening trap from #23 (you step back into a left cat stance as you trap the front punch and guide it past the right side of your body as you twist your torso to the right causing the opponents balance to be over his toes, slightly to his left and up. The trap can be palms, knife and palm, etc.

The concept in both examples is of breaking balance, but in two different ways. The first example meets with force and the second receives. In both examples the opponent is off balance and ready to receive whatever you want to give him.

I realize that this is not a just a kempo principle, but a martial arts principle. Most MAs will agree that as soon as you can take the balance, the sooner you will own your opponent.

I really like Colin's perspective of the mental balance as it certainly applies from a mental standpoint and has opened my thinking to that line of thought. A gross example of this is in the world of sports where "trash talking", posturing, staring, etc. are done to put doubt into a competitor's mind. A more subtle skill for a MA would be the confidence and posture that one may posess and how the would be attacker perceives this person as a "non-target". The fight is over because it didn't happen.

Good stuff, keep it coming.