kempo kung-fu or kenpo karate

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by ofomablackbelt, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ofomablackbelt

ofomablackbelt Valued Member

what is the difference between shaolin kempo kung fu
    and kenpo karate
    is it that kempo kung fu is more kung fu based
    and kenpo karate is while a karate style has some kung fu to it

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Are you meaning Shaolin Kempo karate?

If so, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Kempo_Karate

I looks like Shaolin Kempo Karate came from Kenpo Karate but more kung fu was integrated into the system.

3. Quincyma80

Quincyma80 Valued Member

A rose by any other name...

I think you need to provide us some more information – a specific website or did you visit a nearby school?

Making an assumption but by those very names it implies some type of Americanized hybrid style.

For you are using Chinese – Japanese – and Okinawan sourced terminology.
    If you drop Shaolin and just use the terms kenpo and karate together – on translation:

Fist Law Empty Hand – worthy of placement in the Department of Redundancy Department, eh?

Not to be obsessed entirely on semantics vs. efficacy - just as many a legitimate TKD dojang back in the day had “Korean Karate” on their school signage.

Now nails on a chalkboard for me is the term: “Samurai Karate”
    :mad:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

If you mean the system(s) descended from American Kenpo it's American Kenpo with some other stuff,including a lot of marketing to convince people there's a lot of good Gung Fu in it.We've had threads on SK before,including vids of their improperly executed traditional Chinese forms.Use the search function.

I've yet to meet a CMA practitioner who recognizes it as a modern Gung Fu system.I think maybe the Shaolin Temple recognizes it,but what does one expect of the Shaolin Temple?

5. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

One if the only shukokai dojo's in Australia is called this. I dislike it because it was one of the Okinawans only weapons against the oppressive rule of the Japanese Satsuma Samurai clan.