Kempo Jujitsu - opinions? -

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Mr_Massacre, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Mr_Massacre

Mr_Massacre New Member

Hi, i'm currently training in Kempo jujitsu, been doing it for 4 months and would like to hear from anyone who also trains in this art? and what they think of it? Personally I don't feel to enthusiastic over it. Maybe because i've been doing it too short a time? or is it because I just cannot see the how these techniques would be applied. Would like to hear your opinions thanks :)

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

There's actually a kempo jujutsu class near me while I'm at uni. Maybe I'll take a look some time and see how it compares to the style of jujutsu I currently train in....

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dont know too much about it so cannot comment on effectiveness. I am intrinsically suspicious of complex moves though

Give it time and you may get better. Some arts need practice. If you have genuine concerns then ask your instructor, but do try not to run before you can walk.

4. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Mr. Massacre, is your dojo in california by any chance?

5. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Nvr Mind, just checked your profile.

6. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Don't train in it myself; but I do train w/ a couple of people a few times a year who do, and I have a great deal of respect for their abillities and the type of training that they receive.

7. Mr_Massacre

Mr_Massacre New Member

I asked my teacher the other day and said that "I dont believe I could deliver enough power in these techniques we do". And he replied, how much power do you need to poke someone in the eye? how much do you need to strike to the temple?, how much do you need to strike then in the groin?" I suppose he has a point, but still not all of our techniques only cover those areas.

8. novicio

novicio Valued Member

Mr Massacre,

I'm in London too. Where do you train?

I've only found one Kempo Jitsu instructor on the internet, Hanshi Browne, but for the locations most convinient to me he instructs at awkward times. I'd really like to give this style a try

9. Mr_Massacre

Mr_Massacre New Member

Yes novicio, Hanshi Browne is my instructor, I train at the wanstead location, the rest I cant because they are too far

10. deadliftking

deadliftking New Member

jujitsu

Hi Folks,

I trained under Hanshi Peter Browne (at the Wanstead location) for about 7 years.

I cannot train anymore sadly because I'm a casualty doctor and my hours are
    all over the place. Real shame!

The style is superb frankly, with an incredibly realistic self-defense application. I, myself, did alot of research before taking up a martial art. I wanted something with a bit of everything, that could be used on the street, that wasn't too physically demanding and that encompassed traditional aspects aswell.

The format is of course syllabus based. Off the top of my head you needed to learn about 100 moves before you got your green belt (5th kyu).
    There was plenty of grappling, fast kempo hand strikes to the opponent, ground fighting, defences against kosh attacks, knife attacks, close range pistol defences, wrist locks galore, throws galore and a few blocking katas.

It takes a very long time to move up belts, especially if you train once a week. Twice a week will ensure good steady progress. Payment is BY DIRECT DEBIT ONLY!!! So, if you're away for 2 weeks, your losing money, and he gets very funny if your away!

Certainly look into it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed being involved in the 'tit for tat' at the beginning of the classes where experienced students are called up to face each other. they alternately exchange hpook puches and you have to maim him using any technique you like!!

Take it easy.

Hope this was useful.

Dr. Chris.

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I have trained in kempo ju jitsu for the last two years and am very into it. I'd say that a couple of the things Deadliftking stated (particularly the direct debit and kata issues) are class specific, rather than style-wide, but I'd agree that it's an applicable style in a self-defence situation. I'd say it's a very well-rounded style of ju jitsu that's definitely worth checking out if you have a class in the area :)

12. deadliftking

deadliftking New Member

jujitsu

Yes,

I was only referring to him. I think Hanshi Browne is the only guy in London who takes money by direct debit!! There are other jujitsu classes in the local area. One in Hermon Hill Wanstead, taught by a guy called Jeff Pelter. That class is not kempo jujitsu, more traditional, not much striking, but looked ok. No website though.

The only think I didnt like about Hanshi's classes were that he would only spend about 3-4 minutes with you each session partly due to the sheer size of the classes (30+). Also, he did get very very tetchy if you missed a session - I mean come on - we all have lives, families, busy jobs etc.. He just didnt seem to understand.

Chris.

13. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

I am a 4th dan in kempo Jujitsu, and a co founder of the British kempo society (BKS). Kempo jujitsu is such a wide and varied style, ranging from the Ed Parker influanced kenpo jujitsu through to RyuKyu kempo incorporating small circle jujitsu.
    I get all my insurances through Hanshi Browne. and as such am a part of his organisation. He's always there when I need help with something.

The BKS has clubs in the following locations if you are interested.

Bedford ( Renshi Ben Ledwick 4th dan)
    Peterbrough (sensei Paul King 2nd dan)
    Andover (Sensei Warren Palmer 2nd dan)
    Edinburgh ( Sensei Graham Hirstwood 1st dan)
    Calgary Canada (Sensei Cliff Remple 2nd dan)
    Marlow (Sensei Guy Gratton 1st kyu)

As for the effectiveness of the style, personally i have found it the most complete system available that i have ever done.

KK

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

I've trained with KK above, in addition to teaching my own style of jitsu. Well worth checking out one of the BKS clubs. Very varied and can be very brutal, which is what you want when you absolutely, positively have to main some sonnovvabitch...

15. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Cheers FTHL. If anybody wants to check us out please drop me a pm, and i'll direct you to your nearest BKS instructor.

KK