Kempo Favorites

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kempo Fighter, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Now the answers to this post will vary pending variation of kempo, however, for fun I ask all you kempo practioners out there: "Whats your favorite part of Kempo?"

Mine is the never-ending supply of power strikes [I.E.] Rising Elbow, Crane Wing, Axe kick etc etc etc....

Whats yours?

P.S. Please just ahve fun with this post

Danke Shen

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The most worthwhile aspect is the study of Kongo Zen. I think the most fun aspect is randori.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I like practicing the grab defenses mostly... joint locks and stuff like that. I like trying to put my opponent into specific postures that make it difficult for them to act - manipulations.

4. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Regarding American Kenpo-

-I like the fact that you can incorporate new training methods and concepts and have it still remain "Kenpo".

My old Japanese Karate sensei used to constantly insult grappling and all types of grappling arts. During sparring one time, me and my partner ended up simultaneously falling on the ground. Being spirited folks, we began to wrestle around. My instructor stopped us and said "This isn't wrestling class. Get up and spar."

In Kenpo, a similar situation happened. Actually, I was knocked the "f" down, and I pulled my partner down too. We began to grapple, when I instinctively stopped and started to stand. My instructor then said "What the hell are you doing? Choke him out!"

May you achieve
    Satori

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

This could be construed as sadistic behaviour, but it is fun :)

6. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I don’t know about other forms of Kempo, but I think what your describing would not be incompatible with Shorinji Kempo (a japanese form of Kempo). It all depends on what the teacher is trying to work on within the randori session. It may be some form of limited randori where the teacher may be focusing on one small aspect like defence, offence, kicking, punching, kicking and punching, throws, locks or escapes. In this situation they may say stick to what we are trying to work on at that moment, but if it was full randori where everything is done, then there are no problems, you have to go with the circumstances as they change.

7. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

While I've had no experience with Shorinji Kempo, I've only heard good things about the quality of the system. I've been told that the system is "a mix between Okinawan Karate, Judo, and Kobudo", with elements that combine a very complete system while still maintaining the integrity of tradition.

With this in mind, I'm sure you're right Mr. Linz. :)

By the way...slight derailment, but does Shorinji Kempo contain traditional karate kata? (Pinan/Heian, Naihanchi, etc...)

May you achieve
    Satori

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I think these types of descriptions come about by trying to describe it as something that people have images of in their mind. So while it does contain punching and kicking it is not a Karate style and has none of their kata. Once again while it does contain eludes, locks, throws, chokes, and pins they are quite different to Judo, and are more similar to the older styles of Jujutsu. Shorinji Kempo relies on rapid strikes in flowing combinations to weak areas of the body. While the juho is visually similar to Aikido in some ways, but not as relaxed and the movements are smaller. It is very Japanese in its look, but based on Doshin So’s 20 plus years living in China and studying Shaolin chaun fa, and his other experiences with Japanese and Western arts. It is not a combination of these, but rather a re-examination of his total knowledge and systemising this into one cohesive system, that is structured so the techniques all work in harmony with each other. We have three main areas of study, these are Goho (striking and blocking), Juho (throws, locks, eludes, chokes and pins), and Seiho (massage of pressure points and manipulations of the body to promote health and treat injuries).

9. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

That is what I meant! I didn't mean that someone combined Karate, Judo, and Kobudo, then combined them and created Shorinji Kempo, but that Shorinji Kempo had a technique base that encompassed the arts that I have more familiararity with.

Thanks for the info!

May you achieve
    Satori

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

As long as you do it with a smile, and then let them have a turn...

Speaking of grappling, we were tesing a guy for his 4th kyu (green). He had to spar a few of us. The first guy he sparred threw lots of head shots and lots of fast hands to the head and body. So I'm next and our instructor says "do something different". So I started with some low kicks and then got hold of his body, hip-throw, and mount. I decided to just hang out there for a minute and see what the guy could do on the ground, but Sensei says "submit him already!" and I was able to put an arm-bar on pretty quick (I don't think this guy had trained any groundwork, it is not a required part of our curriculum... but I've been taking some private lessons in BJJ at another school). Gosh that was fun :D

11. JazzHands

JazzHands New Member

Back to the point...

Hey all, this is my frist post on MAP. I've been doing Shaolin Kempo for 3 years. There are 2 things I love about Kempo.
    The first thing is that we are pushed to and past our physical and mental limits (to develop "Warrior Spirit"). This really isn't specific to Kempo.
    The second is that the system encourages you to improvise at higher levels. I've got one more level of brown to go before I test for my black, and I'm just now realizing I have enough tools to have some fun with it. From just about any position relative to my opponent, there's a technique I can use to gain the upper hand. I don't have to think about it, it just happens. This may not be exclusive to kempo, but it seems to me that Kempo does this second thing better then most.
    I had to list two, because to me those 2 make up what it's all about. Warrior Spirit=Martial, improvisation=Art.

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

My favorite are the self defense sets with all the multiple striking goin' on ;)

13. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

i love the fact that i can adjust and manipulate techniques into a good street fight, and i've always had a sweet spot for forms, the more traditional they look the more i like...

14. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Dead thread walkin'

Man you guys are voracious! Just when I think I can leave a thread for death you guys pick it up. SO you cant find any threads to post on so you go back through 'em to find one you can? Sheesh!