kekomi geri's

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shotokanwarrior, Dec 16, 2003.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

why do you have thrust kicks in karate? surely a kekomi geri is a dangerous thing as if you don't retract a kick you can be seized, your standing leg can be swept away, etc.
    shotokanwarrior

2. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Kekomi keri!

I think you are talking about kime of death!

If you look at yokogeri kekomi (side thrust kick) you use it to the stommac not the head. You need to aply force in balance with the weight of the thing you are kicking. So a side snap kick to the stommac will note make anyone fall down. But if I do kekomi I don't leave the leg out there for few seconds. I leave it out a part of second but I make shure all the force leaves out through the heel.

If you leave the heel out for few seconds you are doing the kime of death like Bruce Lee and Jean Cleaud Van Damme. Wich is point less but cool on film.

But the kime of death is often showed in dojo to show you know the diffrence between the kicks.

If you have gotten a follow through kick (kekomi) to your stommac you will know what's it all about.

Regards Kerling
    ps. my english is offline at the moment

3. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

If you execute a thrust kick as it is intended - and make the correct contact - your opponent should be either on the floor or winded and/or knocked back a few feet. Thereby, unable to grab your leg and attempt a foot sweep. If, however, they see your thrust kick coming and either deflect or get of the way then yes, you run the risk of getting your leg grabbed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  4. Stick

Stick New Member

Yoko Geri Keage is useless. It isn't found in any other style other then JKA and some 'others' who may be influanced by the JKA. I could find an Okinawan ryu ha with a Yoko Geri Keage. :woo:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  5. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Err... Have you ever been on the receiving end of a properly delivered yoko-geri kekomi? Believe me, it ain't a fun. The kick is not a JKA Specific kick. I've seen it performed Goju, Wado, ****o, Shorin, Isshin and different Shotokan (not just JKA) karateka. The kick, as in all kicks or techniques, have it's pros and cons. The most obvious con is that if you miss, it is hard to recover as a lot of your weight is put into the kick. However, if you time it right and execute it correctly, the results can be devastating. One Malaysian Karateka comes to mind whenever I think of a great yoko-geri kekomi, Kong Tai Moon! During the late '80s and early '90s, he was notorious with that kick within the South East Asian Karateka Circle. He could deliver that kick in lightning speed, you wouldn't see it coming. And when the kick connected... BOOM!! His opponents would literally fly around 3-4 feet off the ground and tumble on to the mat. It was spectacular!

The yoko-geri kekomi, as previously stated by someone else, is targeted at the stomach or lower. In self-defense, it is best performed targeting the knee. A great way to take out an opponent. This technique is seen in the kata Bassai-dai, Bassai-sho, Sochin. It is also seen in Nijushiho, but the original version of the kata did not have the side-thrust kicks, just knee lifts.

BTW, what's your beef with the JKA? If it's political, then take it outside. Chill out, dude! B-)

Regards,

Ketong71

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  6. Stick

Stick New Member

Your RIGHT! lol I ment Yoko Geri Keage, sorry it was late.