Keeping myself honest

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by DankyKang, May 2, 2018.

1. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

Well it looks like the next few months may be a total bust for MA for a bit other than occasionally dropping in on Hannibal. I will however have time to workout again so this thread will keep my honest about getting back at it. Keep in mind I'm in pretty terrible shape so don't expect much from me right now.

Training goals: To be able to run a 4 minute PARE and have a good time on the FORCE evaluationby this time next year.

The PARE is an obstacle course consisting of the following:
    6 laps around a track including a 5 foot jump, climbing up and down a 5 foot staircase, jumping over two knee hight obstacles and vaulting over 3 foot barrier each lap. This is then followed up by a push and pull station loaded with 80lb six times back and forth and a 100lb bag carry for 50 feet.

FORCE evaluation consists of two 20 meter sprints done in 51 seconds. 30 consecutive lifts of 20kg sandbag to 1m alternating between two sandbags to be competed in 3m30s. 10 20m shuttles with half loaded with 20kg sandbags for a total of 400m in 5m21s. And carrying 1 sandbag and a minimum of 4 more for a total of 20 meters without stopping.

The plan: To start with I am going to work on increasing my base strength. So I will be following Stronglifts 5x5 and including Prowler work and box jumps to improve power as well as run two 5k runs a week and one shorter 2.5k run mixed with sprints to improve my aerobic and anerobic capacity.

I welcome any suggestions and recommendations to help improve what I am doing to better meet my goals.

2. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

2018/04/30

Lifting day 1:
    Squat 5x5 135lb
    Bench 5x5 95lb
    Pullup 5x4
    Prowler Push: 4x10m 95lb

Was intending on doing rows today but all if the bars were taken, Ill start coming to the gym earlier and will do them next day.

2018/05/01
    5k Run 35.43m

I suck at running.

Frodocious, axelb and Nachi like this.
  3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

It's nice to see a new log! And with goals so strictly set!

Good luck :) I will be looking forward to reading more.

...and don't worry, you're at least better at running than me, judging simply by the fact that you can actually run 5 km :D

4. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

I would normally just work out, but you have to meet the standards to get gired so thats what I'm planning on doing.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Welcome to the training log zone. :cool:

At that time you ran the whole 5k at a good pace :D that's a good start.

What is your background on lifting and Running?

That course sounds hard work!
    You may hear a lot from people that you cannot do lifting and running, particularly squat focused lifting. (I heard it constantly)

Early in the stages of lifting you should not see an impact, but the accumulation will catch up, once that happens you might want to look and changing the plan around so that you have a decent amount of rest time for your legs between squats and running, or only do upper body lifts on/before run day.

Stronglifts and similar (starting strength) ideally work with a 3 times a week plan, you may find you need to adjust this to less if you want to progress the cardio also.

It will depend largely on how your body adapts and recovers- it is possible, but it's hard work.
    Prepare yourself for the DOMS :D

6. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

I have been focusing on keeping my heart rate in Zone 1 even though it kills my ego to be moving so slowly.

My background was powerlifting for a year or so during which my maxes were roughly

Squat 315x5
    Deadlift 405x5
    Bench 185x5
    Press 135x5

Running I haven't really been too committed too.

The tests aren't too hard to complete. I have already run the PARE once for fun and for the application to a different agency and I was able to hit something around a 4:15 so I expect to be able to do 4 minutes easily.

I had to walk up the hill to get to my gym today and it was hell.

Log 2018/05/02

Squat 5x5 140lb
    Press 5x5 60lb
    Deadlift 1x5 200lb
    Medicine Ball Carries 40lbx20m

Today felt good and I got a lot done. Im trying to find a way to simulate the body carry and I was thinking that medicine ball carries may be a good way to subsititute it into my training schedule. Thoughts?

Nachi and axelb like this.
  7. axelb

The lifts should go up easily then, and your body should cope with that and running well enough.

I haven't done any carry based training, it certainly sounds a solid progression to carry the medicine ball.

8. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

2018/05/03
    Skipped running today because I had a migraine.

2018/05/04

Squat 5x5 145lb
    Bench 5x5 100lb
    Pullup 3x5
    Box Jump 3x10 at an unknown hight, but approxomately 3 feet.

Today was a great day in the gym and it was bolstered by the fact that while I was working out I got an email from the agency that I work as a student. They want to process my application to be a full officer and go to their college a year from now once I graduate from university. More reason for me to get a good time on my PARE.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

Great news :)

I need to get some plyo back in my routine. Particularly box jumps!