Ke?po Culture

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KempoFist, Jul 7, 2007.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

So do you guys consider Ke?po more Japanese, Chinese, or perhaps Hawaiian or American?

I say it's a 24%-21.4% split between Japanese and Chinese, with a share of 22.3% Hawaiian leaving everything else (32.3%) American.

Thoughts?

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

If you are talking the term "Kenpo" it is definitly Japanese. If this was part of the periodic table (elements) they would both be in a different section I am thinking. ;) Because, starting out they were not ment to be the same at all.

The actual practice is pretty close I'd say, with FMA 15% or more, according to some it would be 75% FMA. ;)

Gary

3. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I would say it's more Japanese than Chinese...like 25% Japanese and like 15% Chinese. There is definately a large Hawaiian influence. I'd say around 25%. I leave the rest up to the American influence at 35%.

4. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Gotta leave out the Okinawans?

5. KempoFist

Okinawans are like the adopted Japanese kid of the East.

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Something of course they would highly disagree with you on.

7. KempoFist

What would they know? They're adopted. They'll understand when they get older.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yep.

I have a feeling that if you took the US military away from the Okinawan Islands you would have an area of real rebellion, toward the Japanese.

This was about 7 years ago: http://english.people.com.cn/english/200007/20/eng20000720_46035.html

It is just the start and will continue until the US leaves, then they will go for their own country again, I'd think. That way they will get aid from other countries etc... It has been since the early 1600's for their independence, if it will happen or not? Similar to the Philippines I'd think?
    Then they can fight about the area between them and the Philippines for all the oil that is there.

Maybe the US will side with them :p

LOL...

Gary

9. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Only if the US can instill what they believe democracy is once the rebellion would end...

10. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Kempo/Kenpo

If the question is about today's Ke?po I would have to go with a split between Hawaiian and American. Many of the older systems / styles have been change / altered so much that they do not resemble their original Hawaiian system.
    Many of todays Ke?po systems were developed by colored belts. These colored belts took material from here and there or developed it on their own.
    Today's term of Kenpo or Kempo has no real cultural identity.
    :confused:

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I'd say it was/is the Dojo that is teaching what they are teaching, and the rule of thumb is who do you take your art from and who are you giving credit to, for it.

Pretty simple to mention a name and Kenpo, it is a major clue to what is taught.

When you mention "Colored Belts" are you going back to the ones who developed it in the 50's?

I have seen some being "banned" (tatums group) for the insistance of what they do, as compared to others.

Gary

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Kenpo was another name for karate in Okinawa. The terms were used interchangably. What has become of it since it was brought to Hawaii in the early 20th century is due to the Hawaiians like Chow, Emperado, Parker etc. etc. ad infinitum

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Any reference you want to show us, about that statement? I have heard that before and I have read others mentioning that, about the term.

In Bruce Haines book he hooks it to the Japanese. Some folks consider Okinawa part of Japan since the 1600's others don't.

If you are using the term Kempo you are correct but not the spelling Kenpo.
    Different then, than now.

Some mix it up, when in fact it is different-Kempo and Kenpo.

The Hawaiians like you mention, did some changing. But the big name is Mitose also. Unfortunatly that is a fact also. Kenpo Karate is a term, as we have talked about before, being used by many but really locked in by Chow and Parker.

Gary

14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

The kanji is identical Gary. The Japanese didn't write it in English, nor did the Okinawans so the distinction that you draw is without a difference.

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The term of Kempo I have seen used a lot in Okinawa was with the writing of Pat McCarthy and the Bubishi. His wife being the major translator and they seem to like the term KEMPO. It seems the Chinese writing and not the kanji of Japan might have been different.

But if the kanji is the same then so be it.

It seems at the time of his writing of the translation, he also used the term Karate quite a bit.

I noticed when I wrote to the University over in Hawaii, his name is the location, 2550 McCarthy Mall.

Gary

16. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

i would say Kenpo is more American, leaning towards Japan, but keep in mind China and Hawaii influenced Kenpo as well.