Kave's first MMA fight (with luck)

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Kave, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Kave

Kave Lunatic

My coach has told me that there is a tournament for beginning fighters coming up on the 18th of October. I have agreed to enter it, so now I only have 3 weeks to prepare. My entry is conditional upon there being a fighter near my weight, and as I am rather small there are no guarantees.

I am not happier fighting much heavier than 60kg. I am currently weighing 64kg, so I have to aim to lose as much weight as possible. Any weight I can't drop I will have to cut as water weight, and as the event is one with a same day weigh-in I really don't want to have to cut much water weight. The next three weeks are going to be really difficult in terms of diet.

I will post any updates as I get them. Currently I know very little about the event.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Are you an easy loser/gainer? If not I wouldn't even bother cutting. Of course you could tell them you'll fight anywhere between 60-64.

Best of luck man, remember videos ;D

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Relatively easy loser, though I have found that in my 30s the weight doesn't quite come off as quick as it did in my 20s.

Don't really want to fight weighing much over 60, at 5'5" (167cm) I am already a little too heavy for my height. I can consistently drop 0.5 of a kilo a week if I am motivated (which I am), so I expect to get to 62kg and just have to cut 2kg. That being said, most of my sparring partners are 80kg+ so I probably won't panic if I get asked to fight anywhere up to 65kg.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Good luck man, you're going to do awesome!!!

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Congrads Kave - Have you ever competed in any other MA - bjj, KB, etc.,? What sort of an event is this? A smoker ( where gyms put on a tourney with exhibition matches - no w/l) or otherwise? Is it under the UKMMAF - (who is trying to become the regulating board)?

Again, best of hard work and dedication to you!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Best of luck Kave, keep us up to date with your progress!

Mitch

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good luck dude!!!

8. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Up to the age of 17 I competed in wrestling. I have competed in sub-wrestling since I began MMA training, but I have never entered any competition with striking allowed, so it will be a new experience for me.

The fight will be an ammy b-class fight, not quite a smoker (but not the same as a pro-class fight). This link gives an overview of how things tend to work in NZ, although the information is outdated and there isn't really a sanctioning body as such:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ICNZMMA/ICNZ_MMA

9. belltoller

Sorry, I didn't bother to check your infor - though its sitting right on my nose in front here - I just assumed you were in the UK.

Must be the tats ;)

10. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Sweet as Kave.
    Where the venue? North shore somewhere?
    Ill come watch.

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

My guess would be the Shore, but yet to get confirmation on that. I should get more info on Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know as soon as I know.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Same day as my fight! :D

Here's hoping we're both posting as winners the next day!

Good luck!!! :)

13. Kave

Kave Lunatic

And good luck to you. Any advice from a pro?

14. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Spoke with my coach tonight, I am entered but not matched yet. It'll definitely be hard to find someone my weight, but I am still pretty hopeful. I have been told that they prefer to keep weight differentials down to 2kg, so it will be a bit of a lottery.

These events are held every 3 months, so if I don't get an opponent this time there shouldn't be too much of a wait. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that they find me an opponent.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm sure there are some girls around that weight ;p

J/k man, I hope you get someone, my opponent just pulled out and I've just got a replacement. There's always someone who's willing to fight ;)

16. Kave

Kave Lunatic

My fight has been pushed back a week. I'm still not sure if I have been matched. It's probably lucky, as I burned my foot and have been unable to train for the last 10 days (probably won't be back at training until Wednesday at the earliest). That being said, there is some positive news...I have managed to make weight. Now it is just a matter of readjusting my eating habits to stabilise my weight.
    [​IMG]

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Can't believe I missed this, best of luck to you buddy! :D

18. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Not only could they not find a match for me, due to injuries and a lack of first-time fighters I think they have had to cancel the event. It's not too much of an issue as the events are held 4 times a year, it just means I get a few months to prepare. The downside is that due to a lack of impending fight my weight has started to balloon again. I'm tempted to enter the no-gi Nationals just to encourage myself to continue managing my weight. Can't decide whether to enter at 61.5kg or 55.5kg.

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Best of fortunes to ya, comrade! :hat: Remember to post vids of your match and glorious victory.:hat::cool:

20. belltoller

Too bad on the cancellation...getting down to weight was no fun and keeping it off for an indefinite period time even less.

How far off is the grappling tourney you're thinking of entering?